• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Another newbie question: Can someone clear up how often villagers move into new towns for me? Is there always a new plot the day after the previous villager was busy unpacking?

Thank you both! :D I'll get to planning for my pwps and getting ready for the harvest festival so I can use their ingredients! I do have one other question though. I see that sometimes people display lost and found items (the items that you have to return to villagers) in their houses. I tried doing that but it wouldn't let me set it down in my house. How do people do that? :eek:

You have to hold onto it overnight, or maybe two days. I would assume overnight. At some point, it ceases to be a lost-and-found item that can be returned and just becomes a glove, bag, or paper bag that you can then drop in your house.

Another fun thing coming up, if you get your mystery bag from Jingle during the Christmas event and you don't complete the event, you keep the bag. I think I just traveled back a day and did it over again. I still have the mystery bag. It's fun walking around with it slung over my shoulder. It makes me look like a burglar from a silent movie.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Another newbie question: Can someone clear up how often villagers move into new towns for me? Is there always a new plot the day after the previous villager was busy unpacking?

No. It can be the next day, or it can be several days later. There's no real way to know, other than if you don't play for about a week, you'll be pretty sure of getting a plot.

After you start the game, you begin with 5 villagers. The first 3 - 4 move-ins will indeed plot the day after the previous villager unpacked :) At least, in my experience.

After the starting villagers, you get a new one regularly until you hit 8 or 9 (I think it's 8). In my experience, it varies but it's usually as you've described though it can also take longer. My 6th and 7th villagers plotted with a day's difference but my 8th villager took longer to appear.

I tried it earlier and the first time I spoke to him afterwards he said it again. So unless there's a delay I guess it's not going to work. Is there a decent chance he'll ask about changing it again soon, if I talk to him several times a day?

Maybe try to wait another day? I don't know how long it takes to become effective.

Which part did you change, and was it changed by you or by someone who had the villager before?

In my experience, yes, you do get a chance to change it again. It can take a while, though, even when you're talking to them regularly, so don't despair. In my experience it's a bit hit-or-miss.

Is it something offensive or is it just a typo or something? If it's something you can ignore, then I wouldn't go out of my way to talk to them a lot. I'd talk to them regularly but since it can be a bit random, don't feel pressured to talk to them several times a day unless you want to.

Another way they change those is by pinging you, so you can always do the pinging trick once you have the wetsuit. Just swim out into the sea and stay there for five minutes or more. When you go back to the shore, make sure that villager is the first one you see. You can trap them or walk in front of them repeatedly. When they ping you it can be about anything (PWPs, moving if they're due to move, trades) but some of them will be about this. If you empty your pockets so they won't try to sell or trade with you, that can also save some time but it's not strictly necessary for it to work.

Finally, sometimes they also change greetings and catchphrases at random by getting them from the other villagers, so there's always a chance that your villager will just do that and save you some work.

Quick question: If you went to Nook's Homes and selected a mailbox for example, can you go to another town and choose another one? Or is it only once choice per day?

I don't know if it's possible or not but I don't think so. If it is, I think you'll still lose the money you paid for the first mailbox and it will be overwritten by the new one.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Laser Beams, I'll check out the ping trick once I have the wetsuit. That sounds kinda promising. It's just a typo, but I get hung up on stuff like that.

Last edited:
Can you customize sets such as Princess or Harvest?

I can't seem to delete the Thread I probably shouldn't have made asking this question, but I will ask it now in the proper place:

I had 10 villagers with one in boxes. I thought I'd be able to accept someone else's villager in boxes to move in for the subsequent day, but that wasn't working, so I had to time travel a day forward so that I had 9 villagers. Now I am one day in the future and expecting that new villager "tomorrow." Can I time travel back to the correct date now? Or should I wait until I have that villager's sign post in my town tomorrow? Or wait even longer until they are actually in my town two days from now?

Thank you for the advice!

I can't seem to delete the Thread I probably shouldn't have made asking this question, but I will ask it now in the proper place:

I had 10 villagers with one in boxes. I thought I'd be able to accept someone else's villager in boxes to move in for the subsequent day, but that wasn't working, so I had to time travel a day forward so that I had 9 villagers. Now I am one day in the future and expecting that new villager "tomorrow." Can I time travel back to the correct date now? Or should I wait until I have that villager's sign post in my town tomorrow? Or wait even longer until they are actually in my town two days from now?

When I campsite reset a little while ago I ended up TTing a day into the future so I would actually get campers (the immediate next morning wasn't giving me any), and after confirming that Genji would indeed move in I set the clock back to the current time, starting with a new character to make sure Genji didn't set his plot in a silly place. There wasn't a plot, so I crossed my fingers, saved, and went forward a month. End result - Going backwards in time didn't erase my invite, and it shouldn't have an effect on yours.

Going backwards any amount of time equals one day forward so the only thing it will do is reduce the time that villager would take to plot by one day. Unless you want to plot reset, you can TT back without a problem. I've TTed forward to move out villagers and then TTed back after inviting new ones and it didn't stop them from moving to my town.

Hi everyone! When I get the perfect town rating, can I change the default look of my Town Hall to a different "default" layout? Mine is very ugly ;_;

Hi everyone! When I get the perfect town rating, can I change the default look of my Town Hall to a different "default" layout? Mine is very ugly ;_;

You can change the town hall style but I think all the styles you can change to are very different from the default look.

Me again! Could someone please list all of the buildings/features that have an icon on the town map? I'm trying to get a nice spread so I need to know how many more I've got to add. Town hall, player homes, the tree and Re-Tail are obvious and I know of the cafe, so what else is there?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If I have ten villagers with one moving out soon but not in boxes yet, can I take in a villager from the campsite? He doesn't seem to want to move in. I'm guessing this means no?

Last edited:
Thanks. One more question...How can a villager suddenly not move without you convincing them to stay? Sydney was supposed to move out on the 13th, so I TT'd day by day to the 13th to get her in boxes and then give her to someone else. But on the 13th, she was wandering around outside. I then went to the 14th, and she was still wandering outside. Then, another villager said that someone else was thinking of moving. So, Sydney decided not to move after I told her to move. Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't know what I did...
It was another villager's birthday on the 13th. Sydney wasn't at the party, but could this have negated her moving somehow?

Back