• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I've been trying to get a particular villager to move out, but got pinged by someone else today instead. I told them not to move, but I'm wondering if I'll have to wait a certain amount of time before someone else will request to move? o:

Hopefully that makes sense haha.​

Last edited:
I've been trying to get a particular villager to move out, but got pinged by someone else today instead. I told them not to move, but I'm wondering if I'll have to wait a certain amount of time before someone else will request to move? o:

Hopefully that makes sense haha.​

Yeah, you'll have to wait at least a day. The earliest someone else has ever asked me to move after I told someone to stay was one day, and the longest time it took was nine days. On average it's about four or five days, though.

I have my own question as well, does anyone know exactly how many trees/bushes can be in a particular X by X area before things won't grow anymore? I've heard no more than 15 in a 7x7 space but I want to make sure.

I've been waiting for some time for my tenth villager to come along, but they haven't. Instead, two of my villagers have asked to move. (I let Benjamin move out because I'm a little creeped out by his eyes, but no way am I letting Frita go!)
My town is only a few weeks old. Am I maybe doing something wrong to make my villagers want to leave? And why isn't the tenth showing up?

A tenth doesn't show up on their own. You have to invite them from the campsite, invite them from another town, or pick them up from streetpassing or wifi'ing with someone who voided a villager.

Villagers don't move because they don't like your town. Once you have nine and complete certain requirements, there will always be someone asking to move every few days. It's just the way the game was designed.

Oh. I guess I'll have to wait a while to get a camper. I never get streetpasses anymore. I never get campers, either. :(

So will another villager randomly pop in to make it nine again since a villager is moving out, or will I need to streetpass/invite/recruit campers from now on?

Okay, thanks. One more question. Will villagers up and move out without telling you, or do I need to tell them to move for them to go?

No, they will move five days after the game randomly picked them as the mover. You have to stop them in order to keep them. The only way to stop them is when they ping you (get the surprise emotion and run up to you, wanting you to talk to them) to tell you they're moving and you say no. That immediately ends their move, though you might want to save right after to lock it in.

Now, sometimes you will tell them to go ahead and move, and they will tell you they've changed their mind. They won't move at this point, though you can quit without saving and they will still be in line to move.

You should talk to your villagers often to make sure they like you enough to ping you. If they don't, they may move away without telling you. Also, let them see you and give them a chance to ping you. If you approach them from behind and initiate the conversation , you can't know if they're moving or not. Sometimes other villagers will tell you they are planning to move, though.

Last edited:
Is there any particular method you can use to get a villager to change their shirt? :x

Would mailing them a new shirt work, or would the best method be to carry around the shirt you want them to wear and try to get them to ping you and say they want to trade for/buy it?​

Last edited:
Is there any particular method you can use to get a villager to change their shirt? :x

Would mailing them a new shirt work, or would the best method be to carry around the shirt you want them to wear and try to get them to ping you and say they want to trade for/buy it?​

The former would be better. However, it's said that the optimal way is to send the villager not one, not two, not three, not four, but five of the same shirt to them in the same day. It's said that it's a guarantee, but I haven't tried the method myself, so I can't confirm nor deny that claim.

It's not a guarantee, but it works most of the time. The more you send, the better the odds. They will replace furniture with at least one and maybe more of the shirts.

I do like the dive method. Carry nothing they want except that shirt and dive and make sure they're the one who sees you. If they take and put on the shirt, great. If not, quit without saving and try again. It's agonizing when they accept the shirt but don't put it on!

Last edited:
This may sound dumb but I'm new to the game and I keep seeing things about cycling villagers and plot resetting and I don't understand what either of those things actually mean

If you are expecting a new villager and just let the game handle it, the location of their house is random and may not be desired by the player. So, they start as a new character on the day the new villager is to arrive (an Animal Crossing day is from 6am to 6am, and to work, you must not have loaded up with your mayor that day) and look at where the plot is. If they like it, they save the new character by talking to Isabelle. If they don't like it, they quit without saving and do it again until they like the plot's location.

Cycling can mean a couple things. If you let someone move out and want them back in your town, you have to let 16 other villagers move out before they can move back in. By moving that many, the game forgets you had the villager and lets you take them back. This is the 16-villager cycle.

When someone has a cycling town, they just take in villagers, give them to people who want them, and repeat the process. They say they have a cycling town because they are just cycling villagers in and out for others.

- - - Post Merge - - -

This gets a little complicated, but there is a concept related to plot resetting that is sometimes called villager resetting. Any time you have between five and eight villagers, the game will randomly move a villager into your town. People go in as a new character on days this is expected (which is any day you have fewer than nine villagers, basically) and look at who is moving in by reading the plot's signpost. If they like the villager, they save. If they don't, they quit without saving and do it again.

There are ways to tell what personality you can expect from random move-ins, but I don't want to overwhelm you here.

Last edited:
Two questions about grass regrowth:
1) Does the Beautiful Town ordinance have any effect on the rate of grass regrowth.
2) Is there any way to tell what is a permanent dirt patch vs. a spot that could regrow?

Two questions about grass regrowth:
1) Does the Beautiful Town ordinance have any effect on the rate of grass regrowth.
2) Is there any way to tell what is a permanent dirt patch vs. a spot that could regrow?

1) I don't think so. I have beautiful town and my grass still takes forever.
2) plant flowers over the spot and don't walk on it for a week or 2 is the best thing I can think to do. If there's improvement, it can grow back. If it's exactly the same, it's permanent. Just a game of wait and see. If it's a dirt patch that has always been there, it won't grow back.

I just read that you can only have 30 PWPs at once, is that true? Because I swear I've seen towns with way more than that..

Back