• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

(Artist Introduction) VGM Composer Making Animal Crossing Music

Yonk Raccoon

Video Game Composer
Bells
Switch
3845-6582-4306
Coming seriously back to the forums for the arrival of New Horizons and my new career path. I'm writing here because it's niche-- the only reason people would sign up on a forum for something nowadays is because they're into that topic or the medium of forum boards themselves. Or maybe younger people's parents are more okay with them keeping to a limited site like this (which is cool because Bell Tree rules.) See the bottom for my current digital music progress!

I am a 24yo furry studying video game music (or VGM) composer man who recently moved to Brooklyn, New York. Persian-American, bisexual, etc. (It's a rough combination because I have no role models that resemble me.) I've yet to enroll in college for theory and composition, and have yet to ever make friends with fellow gamers or musicians, so my experience with VGM composers is [0]. But I'll try to stay concise! Thank you for reading.

How did I end up writing this post? The soundtrack of Animal Crossing raised me like my Totakeke godfather when I was a gross little teenager. I want to be someone people can depend on for a special sound, even if that is a sound people have heard before. I have so much to say with music and I'm doing my best to focus on something refined. Starting to pursue VGM academically, most songs I have fun making are the ones made to fit into Kazumi Totaka's soundscape of what Animal Crossing should sound like. Although I ultimately want to end up with a career making music I love for people I love, I can also see myself aiming to make a song for a Nintendo-published game within 6 years.

If anyone here has the time and energy, I would like to at least meet people in this forum to talk to. I'll be on the forums more as ACNH comes out and I get more time to work on VGM.

What kind of fan music would you like to hear to make the wait for ACNH less hard? I'm always practicing and creating.

What kind of Animal Crossing music makes you happy?

Are there other composers or people who have already done VGM here?

Would you be interested in a song for your mp3 player/phone/studying? Could I start commissions after improving a bit more? Should I make a poll, a YouTube channel? A concept album or compilation?

What do you think of my AC music/Soundcloud? Any criticism is very welcome.

~Yonk Raccoon
Link to my SoundCloud, which has a playlist for Animal Crossing-inspired stuff and my composition progress. Disclaimer: I haven't learned things like mixing and just switched to learning Reaper as my first main software, with Vocaloid on the side. Until now, I've just been hammering improv on my piano and singing my heart out.

Welcome back to TBT! Wow, that’s really cool that you’re interested in music. I’ll have to check out some of your stuff later. :)

Welcome to TBT! It's really awesome seeing someone so outwardly and proudly pursuing a career, especially one as great and impactful as VGM! I'll give your soundcloud a listen, I can't wait to hear what you've got on it so far!!

Welcome! Really looking forward to see what awesome music you'll come up with :>

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad my post didn't come off as too needy. I genuinely want to make music that the community likes, and I fear that it comes off as self-serving sometimes. I was so excited seeing Youtuber's reactions to the Direct because all of them had at least a song they jammed out to! Maybe it will be easier to make stuff once I have the game in my hands and get a feel for what it has and what it doesn't.

Back