Art forgeries you prefer over the originals

Belle T

head thoughts, no empty
Bells
The artworks found in Animal Crossing's museums are some of the finest works of art, crafted expertly by the masters through centuries of human civilization. And they're all pretentious hacks compared to the unrivaled artistic genius of Jolly Redd's counterfeits!!!

unknown.png

REAL art.

In all seriousness, while I like all the pieces that you can find in the museum, I have to admit that some of Redd's forgeries sometimes actually enhance the aesthetic of the original art. Some of my favorites are...

• Basic Painting ("Blue Boy" by Thomas Gainsborough): His hair looks much less a mess with straight bangs.
  • Graceful Painting ("Beauty Looking Back" by Hishikawa Moronobu): I think the woman taking up the majority of the canvas is much more compositionally pleasing, compared to leaving a noticeable vacancy at the top.
  • Serene Painting ("Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo Da Vinci): I think the grey that Redd adds to the ermine is nice.
  • Gallant Statute ("David" by Michaelangelo): The book under his arm adds a sophsiticated, academic quality to the sculpture. I have two of them that I use for decorations outside the museum.
  • Rock-Head Statue ("Olmec Colossal Head" by unknown artist): He has a friendly smile on his face.
  • Warrior Statue ("Terracotta Army" by unknown artist):
a5_f.png
shovelknight007.png

Need I say more?!

Are there any artistic forgeries that you actually prefer to the genuine article? How do you use the forgeries that you collect (intentionally or otherwise) on your island?

I prefer the fake Tremendous Statue. I like the lid being on it more than I do having it open and not being able to put something inside. I also use the Warrior Statue around my farming area. Oh, and the Informative Statue - such a lovely shade of blue! I have one at the entrance to my island.

My favorite is the fake informative statue. I just love that shade of blue. I have one and plan on finding a few more.

The detailed painting fake is really nice with the purple flowers. I like a lot of the "haunted" artworks like the informative statue and the ancient statue. Then I use both the real and fakes of the rock-head statue all over my island. Another one I like a lot is the wild painting left and right fakes, but equally as the originals. It just depends if I want the shade of green or not.

I love the haunted ancient statue so much!! Aside from that, I kinda love the coffee stains on the academic painting; though I suppose it doesn't enhance the original.

The haunted artworks are the easy answer, they are simply a league above. Special shout-out to the Ancient Statue.

I agree with Zerous that the coffee mark on the Academic Painting gives it a special oomph. The book on the Gallant Statue fits perfectly and looks very nice. The little tongue on the Motherly Statue is also adorable.

My island has some forgeries thrown around. The museum entrance has the haunted Ancient and Informative statues to greet the visitors. Chadder's yard is decorated with the fake Gallant, Beautiful and Robust statues because I love the detail that smugs only send you fakes as they are easily fooled. A rock on the beach is home for the Rock-head statue that is enjoying a cotton-candy carefully placed by his smiling mouth.

The only one that I like is the stained academic painting. It’s more realistic, I guess?

Love how they gave the Beautiful Statue (Venus de Milo) a necklace. It added a touch of elegance.
Gotta love the long earring on the fake Mystic Statue. And a book for the Gallant one lol.
The fake ancient and warrior statues are also lovely.

I know this thread asks which forgeries I prefer in NH. But majority of my faves where in NL. The only one I like in NH was the haunted Wistful Painting.

Anyway, here are several of the forgeries I like from New Leaf:
- Scary Painting, where the guy does the pointing gesture. I was a bit disappointed they changed it in NH.
- Serene Painting, where the woman holds a cat instead of a lamb. In NH, it's just a different colored-lamb.
- Valiant Statue, it has bat wings. In NH, it's just mirrored.
- Beautiful statue, where she has long hair. In NH, she got a necklace.

I like how in NL, the forgeries were more obvious. Meanwhile in NH, its harder to identify. But I guess it makes sense in NH because of the graphics. The art are more detailed and you can zoom in.

I know this thread asks which forgeries I prefer in NH. But majority of my faves where in NL. The only one I like in NH was the haunted Wistful Painting.

Anyway, here are several of the forgeries I like from New Leaf:
- Scary Painting, where the guy does the pointing gesture. I was a bit disappointed they changed it in NH.
- Serene Painting, where the woman holds a cat instead of a lamb. In NH, it's just a different colored-lamb.
- Valiant Statue, it has bat wings. In NH, it's just mirrored.
- Beautiful statue, where she has long hair. In NH, she got a necklace.

I like how in NL, the forgeries were more obvious. Meanwhile in NH, its harder to identify. But I guess it makes sense in NH because of the graphics. The art are more detailed and you can zoom in.
Sometimes when people talk about ACNL, I really want to buy it. But I'd have to buy a system to play it, and that would be expensive. But it sounds so fun!

I need to get a haunted Wistful Painting. I love the Wistful Painting but I've never noticed it can be haunted!

I like the Detailed Painting with the purple flowers.

I love that the girl in the Wistful Painting (Girl With A Pearl Earring) forgery closes her eyes at night and opens them again in the morning. That's just so cool. I wish that was in New Leaf since I had a horror town in New Leaf, whereas my New Horizons island isn't, but alas. Still cool and still something I display in my main character's house because it's cool.

The Graceful Painting (Beauty Looking Back) shifting her position at night is also cool.

The Scary Painting (Ōtani Oniji III in the Role of the Servant Edobei) forgery switching from sad to happy at night is also fun. I will say that, despite my appreciation for the haunted paintings and how this plays into that as well, I also kind of prefer the finger guns version of this from New Leaf.

Oh, and can't forget about the forged Famous Painting (Mona Lisa) having that facial expression.

As for the statues, the Ancient Statue (Shakōki dogū) forgery having its eyes glow blue at night and that it floats when you click on it is fun.

I like the detailed painting forgery. The colors are rather fall-like to me.

I have both a real and fake valiant statue at my goddess sanctuary. I like the mirrored effect.

The fake ancient statue looks great tucked into trees.

My basement is a Hufflepuff common room, so the cursed girl with earring is perfect, since she sleeps and wakes up.

I like quite a few of the fake statues and a couple of paintings. My favorite piece has to be the ancient statue. Beyond the fact that it hovers and it's eyes glows, which is awesome, I simply like the antenna it has. It is just really interesting to look at.

When you think about it though, the opposite is actually happening in the game. The "authentic" ones are counterfeit versions of the originals irl and the forgeries are new pieces of art. So you're all wrong :ROFLMAO:

The fake solemn painting is great with that guy hanging out in the back giving a thumbs up. I also like the fake rock head statue because he just looks so happy.

Back