• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are there any games that scare you, even though they shouldn't?

Matt0106

Dawn of a New Day
Bells
Switch
2774-4281-4324
Yellow Crescent Moon
Blue Crescent Moon
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Blue Crescent Moon
Yellow Crescent Moon
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
Shooting Star
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
I'm currently playing Shadow of the Colossus on PS4, and even though it is by no means a horror game (It's actually quite peaceful most of the time), fighting giant stone freaks is scaring the heck outta me, especially since I get anxious easily.

Then it got me thinking. Are there any games you've played that would not be deemed as scary by the general public, but that scared you for some reason?

splatoon 2 is pretty terrifying, u never know when someone's gonna jump out and shoot paint at u

also on pokemon shield, in the wild area when the bigger pokemon start running at u
proper frightens me 😅

splatoon 2 is pretty terrifying, u never know when someone's gonna jump out and shoot paint at u

also on pokemon shield, in the wild area when the bigger pokemon start running at u
proper frightens me 😅
I can definitely relate to the Pokemon one! Too bad they disappear ten seconds into chasing you :(

I remember playing Zelda Phantom Hourglass when I was 9 and being jump scared as follows: I was in Astrid's house at the Isle of Ember, and when I went downstairs there, the door suddenly closed and I was forced to defeat a boss out of nowhere in order to save Astrid. Also, those Phantoms/knights were horribly frightening once they'd start chasing you upon seeing you! But then again, all of the Zelda games I've played or watched so far contain their own unique creepy elements (not counting those nasty creepypastas from the same subject), the most notable ones for me being the Termina moon and the in-game 2-day limit in Majora's Mask.

I'm not really "scared' by video games in the traditional sense...not even the proper scary ones. But, there are some games that just have an uneasy atmosphere to them and they make me feel "creeped out", I guess. Like...Minecraft definitely has some creepy vibes when you get into certain dark corners of it. Off the top of my head, that's a big one.

m...minecraft sometimes...i hate the noises while mining....when i'm outside of a cave it's all fine, but when i'm down mining and i hear a zombie grunt it makes me nervous. xD

omg the warden that's coming with 1.17 is gonna scare the crud out of me i know it. and maybe the goats when they headbutt me off the mountains lol.

Ahh, I have a right list of these. xD Well, a few anyway, it's a short list.

Endless Ocean and Endless Ocean: Blue World are both very chill games for the Wii, they're diving simulators. Mostly peaceful, you swim around and find treasure and pet animals/fish. But there are sections that are almost completely unplayable for me, and even the easier parts still freak me out after a little while. The biggest issue for me is that I get jump scared very easily, if things come at me all of a sudden, which happens sometimes. The not being able to see that far in front of you also unnerves me too.

Similarly, Abzu and Journey, despite being gorgeous and wonderful games, cause the same issue. ABZÛ pretty much for exactly the same reasons as Endless Ocean, and Journey isn't the whole game but just, this one part when you're in a really dark and creepy area. Hollow Knight also has that issue in one specific place, even though I love that game. That place gives me the heebie jeebies. >~<

I might be forgetting one or two, I don't recall off the top of my head what games I have on my PS4, and which of those scare me without being right up horror games.

Pikmin games are terrifying
The time clock ticking in my head is sonething that always alarmed me and somehow im scary that ill never finish the game before the time or the supplies comes to an end

Minecraft. I still get kinda spooked when I see Enderman, and when in dark caves, mine shafts, ravines, and most definitely from all those cave noises.

I've also always been scared of some sound affects from Majora's Mask, as well as when Link transforms into wolf form for the first time in Twilight Princess.

A lot do when they shouldn’t. I get pretty jumpy with sudden noises, encounters, or shifts in environment. A couple I can think of immediately:

Terraria - mostly from being underground and running into undead and skeletons.

Majora’s Mask - one I think may be on others’ lists as well. Stone Canyon, the well, and the graveyard always scared me when I was younger and wallmasters still get me every time. The one event on the ranch was up there too.

Minecraft. I still get kinda spooked when I see Enderman, and when in dark caves, mine shafts, ravines, and most definitely from all those cave noises.

I've also always been scared of some sound affects from Majora's Mask, as well as when Link transforms into wolf form for the first time in Twilight Princess.
A lot do when they shouldn’t. I get pretty jumpy with sudden noises, encounters, or shifts in environment. A couple I can think of immediately:

Terraria - mostly from being underground and running into undead and skeletons.

Majora’s Mask - one I think may be on others’ lists as well. Stone Canyon, the well, and the graveyard always scared me when I was younger and wallmasters still get me every time. The one event on the ranch was up there too.

I was only ever able to play Majora's Mask a little bit at a time, since that game scared the living daylights out of me. Nonetheless, I kind of enjoyed how scary it was for a Zelda games, and would sometimes even play with all the lights off just for the heck of it.

To be honest, video games, even purposefully crafted horror games, don't scare me. Neither do horror movies. Neither ever have, for as long as I can remember. I saw my first horror movie and played the original Mortal Kombat at a very young age, so I guess that on some subconscious level I just recognized and accepted really early on that blood, violence, and horror stuff in games and movies are all just fictitious and contained to whatever format of media you're consuming at the time. I appreciate the horror genre for other reasons, but I digress as that's a bit of a tangent.

Nothing really comes to mind, though I'll make another post if I recall any examples (if any exist).

I do find it interesting to read what frightens others though.

I feel like Luigi’s Mansion shouldn’t scare me because it’s all cartoony and cute but... I’m not gonna lie. If I play that in the dark it definitely creeps me out a little 😅

BOTW scares me. Anything that sets off stress for me like that because I know that anything could be lurking over there trying to kill me is scary for some reason. Idk, I still love the game but it has always had a scare factor with the music, scenery etc.

BOTW scares me. Anything that sets off stress for me like that because I know that anything could be lurking over there trying to kill me is scary for some reason. Idk, I still love the game but it has always had a scare factor with the music, scenery etc.

Oh my goodness yes. I 100% agree. The game definitely puts me on edge, especially if I'll be wandering around somewhere mostly peaceful or just trying to explore and then an enemy appears. 😔 I find the game so difficult, I wish there was a mode where I could just wander around and not worry about the enemies but that's mainly because I'm terrible at games. 😅

Oh my goodness yes. I 100% agree. The game definitely puts me on edge, especially if I'll be wandering around somewhere mostly peaceful or just trying to explore and then an enemy appears. 😔 I find the game so difficult, I wish there was a mode where I could just wander around and not worry about the enemies but that's mainly because I'm terrible at games. 😅
Very relatable, this is why I am on an animal crossing forum rather than a zelda one. I enjoy the games but sometimes I'd rather just be in a safe zone.

I wouldn't really say that I'm scared by it but I really dislike the Deep Woods section in Super Mario Odyssey, honestly I'm not a huge fan off the Wooded Kingdom in general but this section is the worst part. I find it really dark and not very easy to navigate, plus I was so stressed about getting trampled by the dinosaur that I spent the whole time rushing to escape it rather then searching for the Power Moons, on my second play through of the game I avoided it altogether.

This will age me lol but Maniac Mansion. Such constant fear and anxiety that the next room you’d go into would have a monster. 😭 and then one would be there and that music would play- freaked me out every time! It shouldn’t be scary cuz it’s like 8-bit but i feel like it would scare me to this day 😂

Back