• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are the 1st generation Pokemon the best Pokemon?

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
I can be a biased person in general, but when it comes to video games (especially in comparison of classic and modern), I am two-sided, even on Pokemon. Today's topic is on the Pokemon generations and how good or bad they are.

The first generation, regardless of what you believe, is a classic in Pokemon. The moves in this generation (such as psychic, ice beam, thunderbolt, flamethrower, and surf) are classic. The badges are classic. The Pokemon of this generation are classic. Even the Kanto region seems to be a classic. However, I do not think this is the best generation. As a newcomer in Pokemon Sun and Moon, my favorite generation overall has to be the 7th gen, with Alola as my favorite region in Pokemon. Even I'm not so arrogant about it.

The issue here is that there's an obnoxious group part of the Pokemon fanbase that thinks only the first gen is good and hates any Pokemon that isn't in the first generation. If you really the first generation is that good, then you're wrong. It's not even the seventh generation that should be crowned the best. In fact, like everything in media, there are good parts and bad parts. For every advantage they have, there's a disadvantage. For every good thing, there's always a bad thing. This applies to Pokemon as well. If you're defending an entire generation, this includes the ugly Pokemon too.

Here are my comments on each generation:

1. The first generation is a classic by all means. The starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle) are easily recognizable, it was the generation of Pikachu, Eevee, and Mew (which are very cute), and it had some other Pokemon I find useful (i.e. Alakazam, Starmie) or cute (i.e. Dewgong, Poliwag). However, this was also the generation of Jynx, Mr. Mime, Pinsir, Electabuzz, and Magmar, which I find to be very ugly. And we sure can't forget about Pidgey, Rattata, and Zubat, which are the sea basses of Pokemon. Also, even if one of my favorite types is dominant this generation (Psychic), there was a lack of Ice Pokemon (Ice is my favorite type in Pokemon). There's not a single pure Ice type Pokemon (unless if you count the Alolan forms) this generation, and there's only two Pokemon this generation whose primary type is Ice. I already think Jynx is ugly. And that other one is a legendary Pokemon. Basically, the only non-legendary Ice Pokemon in the first gen that is not Jynx or one of the Alolan forms are the ones with a secondary type of Ice, and I can only count three of this group.
  2. The second generation was almost as classic as the first. It also has a good lineup of grass Pokemon (not stat-wise, but aesthetics). Not only that, but Espeon is part of the second generation, and Espeon is my second favorite Pokemon overall (favorite if you're only counting competition-worthy Pokemon). Umbreon would at least get the prize of being my favorite Dark Pokemon, but he/she isn't one of my favorite Pokemon. But just like the other generations, there are a couple of Pokemon I didn't like. This included a couple of baby Pokemon.
  3. The third generation didn't seem to be appealing to me that much. The only thing that I like best in this gen compared to the others isn't even about the Pokemon. It's from the anime. It's May, she's my favorite female follower of Ash's. As for the Pokemon I do like, I am impressed that the pure ice type Pokemon are finally showing up, as well as the weather trio. It also has my favorite water starter PRIOR to the 7th gen (Mudkip). No need to go over disadvantages though. The common ones are already bad enough.
  4. The fourth generation used to feel weirder than the third generation when I was a teenager, but when I started playing Pokemon and became more familiar, I'm starting to think the third generation is weirder. While Espeon is my favorite from the second gen, Glaceon takes that prize in the fourth gen. I also like Rotom, some of the legendary Pokemon, and this gen's electric rodent. However, the ugliest starter (in first form) came from this generation. And we all know about Bidoof.
  5. The fifth gen is the generation of the ugly Pokemon (IMO). As each gen has their fair share of cute and ugly Pokemon, this one really has come ugly Pokemon. It also has easily forgettable Pokemon. There's too many to count this time. However, it has some I do like. An unpopular opinion here is that I like Vanillite and its evolutions. But I also like Cottonee, Petilil, Rufflet, Litwick, their evolutions, and some of the legendary Pokemon here.
  6. The sixth generation would have to be my least favorite generation. The starters are my least favorite of all the Pokemon starters, the legendary Pokemon are lackluster, and there aren't as many Pokemon as before. That's part of the reason why I didn't want to play X&Y. But there's a bright side. Some of the Pokemon are cute. I couldn't think anymore.
  7. The seventh generation is my favorite one, and was actually the reason why I am here to play Pokemon. They have my favorite set of starters, favorite box legendary Pokemon, and favorite common bird Pokemon. They also had guardian deities and ultra beasts. But I am not overly fond of Yungoos. In fact, I dislike Yungoos and its final form.
It sounds like a lot of details, but the point is that I do not think the first generation is the best generation, and even if I do, there's more beyond the first generation I like and there's some that I don't like, proving that I'm not blinded by nostalgia goggles.

treetops;bt13643 said:
Yes, there's those annoying Genwunners, but there are also people who grew up playing Gen 1 and don't go out of their way to say that anything Gen 2 and beyond is garbage.

That was the group I was specifically pointing my fingers towards. This blog entry was a response to their words. Sorry for the way I worded it in the whole entry.

Yes, the first gen isn't all that bad, nor are the ones who think the first gen is the best, but not the radical fans.

Back