• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Are potatoes considered healthy?

Are potatoes healthy?

• Yes

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
potatos are good for you

adding crap load of salt, cheese, bacon and/or frying it isnt.

For some reason it's not okay for me to say I avoid fried potatoes because of acrylamides, which are carcinogenic, in a thread asking if potatoes are healthy. Would it have been better that I say I avoid fried potatoes because I don't like how they taste?

What's extreme is for MermaidSong to take that comment & link me to every known carcinogen from cancer.org
Like really??? Get off my case for not eating french fries, this is so silly.

Last edited:
If it tastes good it's healthy. I'll eat a whole stack of potatoes and I can still see my ribs. Hhaha, get me to a doctor.

For some reason it's not okay for me to say I avoid fried potatoes because of acrylamides, which are carcinogenic. Would it have been better that I say I avoid fried potatoes because I don't like how they taste?

What's extreme is for MermaidSong to take that comment & link me to every known carcinogen from cancer.org
Like really??? Get off my case for not eating french fries, this is so silly.

Forget it. Everyone got a little carried away, don't worry about it :)

This is a thread about whether or not potatoes are healthy. Eating fried potatoes is not healthy - science can prove this, want links? Give credit to MermaidSong for starting the cancer train by linking us to cancer.org :rolleyes:

This is a thread about whether or not potatoes are healthy. Eating fried potatoes is not healthy - science can prove this, want links? Give credit to MermaidSong for starting the cancer train by linking us to cancer.org :rolleyes:

It's all good. Everyone gets carried away sometimes. We can't change the past, but we all can help change the future!

Anyways back to potatoes, so potatoes healthy yes, no? Looks like more people are agreeing that the potatoes themselves are considered healthy. This makes me not feel as bad about eating so many potatoes :D

Well everything in moderation xD which is probably not you hahaha. Too much of anything can be bad? Like if I eat too much broccoli I can get bad digestion problems

Yeah xD I probably get too carried away with potatoes, I can't control it though it's just my inner Irish that makes me want potatoes 24/7. That's very true though, I've heard too many carrots can make you turn orange? One of my friends in a nutritional class at my school told me about how that is possible, I never even knew that, it sounds dangerous though!

Lol I love potatoes im irish as well (galway) i only have them boiled and mashed so that's healthy (y)

I guess it depends on a number of factors. It contains some healthy nutrients, but they also are starchy, which means once consumed they will contain sugar. Of course in popular forms this is going to be an issue (french fries, things like that).

I suggest you take a look at this, eaten right the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

I guess it depends on a number of factors. It contains some healthy nutrients, but they also are starchy, which means once consumed they will contain sugar. Of course in popular forms this is going to be an issue (french fries, things like that).

I suggest you take a look at this, eaten right the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

Thank you for sharing that site! Yeah when I was glancing over the nutritional charts they look like they have quite a few positives to them, plus they come as as very good in Vitamin B6 I believe according to that website. I'm glad to see that they have potential of being a healthy food at least, I just feel like lots of people make them unhealthy or they just consider potatoes to be unhealthy cause they taste so good, and anything that tastes good must be unhealthy xd

Well I'm Irish so I eat a LOT of potatoes! They're a staple here and I looove them. It really depends how you cook them, like baked, steamed or boiled potatoes are pretty healthy but if you make mash it usually includes loads of milk and butter which isn't so healthy :S They're always worth it anyways!

I think it depends how you cook them. If you fry them with fatty oils, then it's not very healthy. If you oven-bake them, it's okay.

Yes, they're healthy depending on how much you eat and what you have it with. Obviously if you fry it = not so healthy, if you mash it and then put milk and butter in it = not so healthy. If you're eating let's say a steak dinner, are the french fries/mashed potatoes really necessary?! Going for some mixed vegetables with that steak is definitely a healthier alternative. Now if you have plain old baked/cooked potato then yeah it's healthy ^.^
I LOVE thickening up my soups with blended, cooked potatoes. Yums!

Now with that said even the not-so-healthy ways of having your potatoes are ok too if you do it in moderation. :)

Back