• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anyone else think the game is more fun WITHOUT turnips?

I did just enough to get the achievement and it wasn't fun at all. I just can't be bothered to keep up with prices.

Honestly, I was so amped up to go hunting for tarantulas again when I restarted (before I realised they nerfed the trick).

I remember shark fishing on New Leaf and how many trips it took to even make a mil. And then it only took a few trips with turnips in Horizons to make all money useless.

Luckily, the island I'm building is for my kids so the quick money is actually good at the moment, but I know exactly what you mean. I miss the effort.

Even with Happy Home Designer, the amount of poki you accumulate is ridiculous, they overpay a lot, so you don't get to grind for that currency either, though it is an improvement!!

For me, it has far less to do with the self-imposed challenge of it, and more that I found the routine of waking up on Sundays, remembering to boot the game up before noon, buying a bunch of turnips, and waiting for the prices to turn in your favor (or just traveling to someone else's island, as it often happened) to be dreadfully boring.
i completely agree with this. the amount of times i'd spontaneously remember to buy turnips for like 40k a batch and then forget about the game all week only for the exact same thing to happen but with 40k bells worth of rotten turnips in my pockets is just the most irritating thing. i got a lot of bells from trading and selling to other players (and a few other of my favorite bell-making methods) so i just see no need to use the stalk market. however from time to time i check my turnip prices in case they're high so i can offer people on here the option to sell at my island :)

Yeah, I agree, the game could be better if turnips were removed. Like some other answerers I struggle to earn bells, the stalk market has helped but sometimes there isn’t a price to get profit through the week.

I don't really notice the stalk market that much. I always forget to wake up early enough on Sundays, and don't go to the hospital in HHP to see Joan ever. But I like that it's there in case I ever need to exploit it and use my two island to get a lot of bells lol

Overall I do think it's a cute feature though and one that was a lot of fun when New Horizons first came out and everyone was opening up their islands 24/7. Even though then I'm pretty sure people were exploiting it as well, I like the community aspect of it (though the people who charge an arm and a leg/are too serious about it make the feature a lot less fun.

Personally that is how I make all my money through turnips so I am happy to have them in game.

I find it the quickest way to make a lot of money.

I haven't used the stalk market yet. I'm not a fan of the concept. Buy thousands of turnips and pray for a good price and presto, millions of bells collected. I must be the only one to sell my fruits, my fish, my insects and my shells to the two brothers or to the npc who arrive from time to time on my island. This is how I make money. I understand that it's a bit of an easy solution, and that in this game we need millions of bells to evolve our house, build bridges, buy, decorate... But I don't know, I like it the farming system. If I use the stalk market in the future, it will never be to reap huge prices. I will use it sparingly.

I mean, I know how to use and perfectly execute the stalk market without having the turnips rot while going to a player’s island with a respectable 500+ turnip price.(Sometimes 400+ if necessary) But in most cases I would rather earn bells the intended way by catching rare creatures and selling unwanted materials by crafting them into items that sell the best. (Even when said item is on premium for that day.)

In conclusion: I consider the game to be still fun without turnips, at this point I’d rather sell my turnips for the nook mile achievement and earn bells the “Fun and Intended” way.

Yeah i did the same thing with reducing my max amount of bells to 250.000
And i only use when i really need it for a time sensitive thing. Otherwise i just try to make bells the old fashion way. It made the game lots more fun, and gave me more reason to log in more often

I only bought and sold turnips early on in the game to make my payments for my houses and my projects. But once I did that and had a few million in the bank, I stopped with the turnips. I now live comfortably shaking the trees with bells on them and replanting new saplings per day as I have everything that I basically need.

ive only bought turnips to let them rot so i can easily catch the ant and fly. i do not care at all about the stalk market or whatever lol

Ive never once used it, Ive just helped my friends get turnip prices. Ive just never been interested in it ya know.

But when people are looking for prices, im more then happy to lend a hand. Just not for me personally

I never bothered with turnips because it's much too complex for me. I did have one friend though who frequently had a high value and was always hosting on Turnip Exchange. I feel like having all of that money did contribute to her falling out of the game a lot quicker than she would have otherwise. I honestly struggle to make money in the game, so I should probably give it a try myself haha

Despite playing most of the games, I have never been able to figure out the stalk market, and I don't think I'll ever will; it just feels too confusing, and it doesn't feel as fun.
When I think of Animal crossing, the stalk marker never comes to mind, I usually forget it. I only buy turnips for those cute barrel things!

When I restarted I did enough of the stalk market for the achievement and then stopped. You get a lot of money from doing the things you need for the other achievements and museum collection that I haven't ran out of money yet.

I also hate having to pick up and drop off all the turnips when I buy them.

I've never used any of the turnip features outside of achieve purposes. Gambling just isn't my thing.

Thanks to this thread, I have learned of the various achievements for making a profit on the STALK market! :LOL:

I haven't been bothering much with turnips since I managed to get the recipes, but now I'm going to have to make an effort to remember to check the turnip prices. I have a couple of million Bells, but I managed to make them from spending an absurd amount of time catching creatures, growing stuff, and making hot items. Honestly, it'll be a relief once I hit one year on this game since I'll hopefully be less worried about missing special events and possible progress towards Achievements.

Not me. I need all the bells I can get, and I'm not great at earning them.

Turnips might seem good, but I time travel, and it's really easy to forget about the turnips, haha...

I renovate and redesign constantly, and between the cost of moving buildings, the cost of ordering some of the items, and the cost of building bridges and inclines - it adds up!

I also have family members who play (some really young), but don't really 'play'... so they want an upgraded house, but don't want to earn all the bells to get it done. So I give them the bells. Or they 'really like the imperial set, auntie' -but don't have the bells or catalogue for it, so I order them the furniture.

I've actually come on here and bought igb for tbt, lol...

Conflicted. I think that turnips are good. Its an AC tradition that continues and I always appreciate that. Its also a good way to get bells. However, I think that the game would be better without the steep achievement of selling turnips. I get that this should be played overtime but...after starting over again I realised how lucky I was being on here for release. Its insane. I still haven't received my first Nook Mile Achievement for selling turnips!

I've bought turnips a few times, and I often check the prices that the Nooklings are buying them for, but I definitely haven't tried to play the stalk market. If I need bells, I tend to go diving until I have enough to pay something off. I love that Daisy Mae comes around, and I like that the stalk market exists, but I don't use it too often. 😊

Update on my opinion about turnip-trading, I love turnips!

Back