• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anyone else think the game is more fun WITHOUT turnips?

umanikhat

Bells
I'll be the first to say, this isn't me saying "you're playing the game wrong" or whatever, this is just my personal experience and wanted to see if anyone felt the same way.
In the beginning, I played the turnip market, I was excited at first because I managed to make a TON of bells, but quickly realized it kinda broke the game in half? I had way more bells than I knew what to do with, it essentially made that currency worthless
I purposely aimed to severely reduce my bank account to maybe 100K (just buying a bunch of stuff I wanted for my island anyway), but made a personal rule that I'm not allowed to make bells using turnips
Honestly? It's just much more fun, me and a friend did this pact so we're forced to do things like go fishing for bells, giving us an excuse to play multiplayer and just kinda chill and talk about whatever while fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it has far less to do with the self-imposed challenge of it, and more that I found the routine of waking up on Sundays, remembering to boot the game up before noon, buying a bunch of turnips, and waiting for the prices to turn in your favor (or just traveling to someone else's island, as it often happened) to be dreadfully boring. It's an interesting concept, but it's lacking in depth.

Besides, the donation box exploit is a much better way to earn a ridiculous amount of money for doing absolutely nothing.

I don't do the turnip market. For one, I don't like the possibility of going the whole week without a chance to trade them in for profit. Can't we pickle them and save them for a better week?like they can still spoil if you time travel and they take up in inventory/space and that's plenty of punishment to hold onto them lol.

Secondly I didn't like the idea of having to visit another's island to help save your bank. I also read stories (randomly online not necessarily here) of people requesting half of what you got or some other large percentage because you came to thier island to turn your turnips in. Or get mad when they said just tip and they felt the tip or donation wasn't large enough (ugh I hate tip culture to begin with anyway).

ive been playing the stalk market recently...but ive cheated to do so. i have two switches sooo when daisy is in one town selling, i open my Other switch and tt to find a good price and then i jump between the two grinding the bells. so far ive made around 155,000,000 doing that.
i dont enjoy the stalk market though BUT it does give me the opportunity to gift new players millions of bells if they want them so its works out to everyones advantage. :)

also, to what minipocketworld has said about folks asking a price to open their island? i never do that. when ive found an excellent price *on sunday for everyones in game* i post it on here so everyone is free to come to my island and grind their turnips just like i do, and i do that 100% free.

The only reason I did the turnip market was to complete the achievement. That was it. I never use it otherwise, because I've always felt as though it makes bells worthless.

That's why I wish we had more to buy with Nook Miles. Yeah, you can cheat with those, but you still have to put in significant effort. I think that's why Nook Mile Tickets are worth so much more than any other in-game item that you can purchase with bells.

i’ve never been interested in the stalk market. i’ve been engaging in it in new horizons to complete the nook mile achievements that go along with it, and it’s not very fun lol. i have one turnip sale left to go to complete the final achievement, and then i’ll be done with the stalk market until the next game.

it’s not that i don’t like selling turnips as a means to make bells (i don’t), it’s just not fun for me. i don’t enjoy buying turnips, having to check the turnip prices every day (and eventually having to sell on a different island because my prices are ass), dealing with turnip.exchange (and not being able to do anything else while i wait in a queue since i access it on my ipad, and if i use a different browser tab or even leave the web browser app, i risk the page refreshing and me ending up at the back of the queue) etc.

i have plenty of bells from buying them from other players when the game first came out, but even if i didn’t, selling turnips isn’t my preferred method of earning bells. i don’t even do it for the bells, just for the achievement completion. if i want to earn bells, i’d much rather spend time catching a bunch of bugs, fish and deep-sea creatures and selling them — it’s more fun.

I played the stalk market until I got my miles achievements and (after the 2.0 update) the recipes. Once I had that, there was no real reason for me to continue playing.

I'm not hurting for money, I work during the day, so finding a good price is more limited, and honestly I can't stand Daisy Mae.

Oh! I just figured out thanks to this post that turnips are probably why people have so many bells ! I was always confused seeing TBT v. IGB comparisons because I hardly make over 10/20.000 bells per day and I usually use them to go by that day and buy what I have in Nook's cranny or Able's sistes.

I don't like investments or the stock market, in real life I think it is a total fraud and it makes me uncomfortable plus it just stresses me out not knowing when to sell and I don't have the mental energy to look for deals online.

But after reading you I do think it is actually funnier for me to play this way, trying to gwt new things is the only thing that gets me to craft, grow fruit, fish... because I don't really mind about completing the museum. I think having to do some manual work so to say in my island is what keeps me playing 🥰

I bought turnips just to get the achievement. I buy them every once in awhile when trying to complete the achievement for the other characters on my island. Unfortunately I work almost every Sunday morning so I would have to time travel to get them.

I used turnips just to pay off my house and get the items I needed. Things are so much easier with lots of bells. I’m thankful for turnips. I couldn’t care less about the achievements.

I only participated in the Stalk Market in the first year or so of the game because a friend of mine was interested in it, figured it out, and we both wanted to earn the Cornering the Stalk Market achievements and associated titles. Said friend, like all of my other friends who played the game, fell off after a while, and without that I've never really bothered with the Stalk Market again. I never utilized it in the previous games because I'm pretty risk averse, but since my friend had the market figured out thanks to the Internet, I figured why not.

I don't feel that it broke the game in half for me, but I play in an unusual way. I made the maximum amount of playable characters, 8, both because I could and why not, and because my island's theme is based around history and showcasing various peoples who have, do, or will (so I could justify having a robot villager, formerly Ribbot, soon to be Cephalobot) live on the planet. I blasted through those bells paying off all of the house expansions for all of the characters and even had to buy more bells from folks on here with the forum's TBT currency so I could have savings again to use for other stuff.

Having a lot of bells is more convenient than grinding it out to earn them for me at this point of the game's lifespan. I have other games I'm interested in playing, and when I do play this game, I'm more interested in designing homes in Happy Home Designer, buying clothes, and whatever I feel like doing with specific player characters at the time than I am in catching fish or bugs or whatever else.

Never cared about turnips anymore, so I didn't bother investing since it was a big hassle to me and the selling prices can be a risky gamble.

I’ve very rarely bought/sold turnips. Mainly just to get the recipe, and to eventually get the achievements (likely won’t be for a while, lol.)

Since I happen to despise turnips in real life, I absolutely refuse to deal with them in a game!

(And when the hell is Daisy Mae going to blow her damn nose?!?)
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I wouldn’t know, I’ve only ever bought like 1-2 turnips, and it was just to place as a decoration 😅

I’m playing this game wrong.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Somehow, I can't help thinking that a turnip for decoration is something like a wax persimmon as a side dish.

I mostly only did turnips for the achievement, but I have to admit that as a serial redecorator, having the extra bells on hand is very helpful.

I can't say it's more or less fun without turnips. It's nice to have the option. I definitely don't use them much anymore. Did it a few times in the beginning, but...much like real life, gambling is not something I really waste my time with. There is honestly just nothing I need more money for in the game. I have several million bells already stored in my bank, and I don't see myself ever squandering all of that. No need to obtain an obscene amount more just for the sake of doing so. - If I do decide to do more with the stalk market, it will be solely for the purpose of getting the mileage awards. But, yeah...I haven't been bothered with that, so far.

I never bothered to play with the turnips. I got no patience... Someday, I'll plant turnips for the achievements!

I used the stalk market a lot more when the game first came out, but after I had enough bells to do everything I wanted, I stopped. I did enjoy earning the bells in game this time rather than buying them here or trading for them otherwise. But it's not something I find fulfilling to do any other time. I've been slowly chipping away at the Nook miles achievement, but I find it stressful to find a good enough price in time.

Back