• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Another "older Animal Crossing game has a superior element to New Horizons" thread

I used to be critical of New Horizons and it's furniture a lot but I just quit playing the game and now I love it. I don't know, I have mixed opinions on everything but I don't care anymore, I'm having fun.

One thing I find interesting though is that back in the New Leaf days on this forum everyyyy other thread was about landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, plot resetting, plot resetting, LANDSCAPING and everyone had like 5 towns in different stages of landscaping completion and now that people have their cute town builder they don't like it lol

Also I went back and tried out the villager dialogue in all games, and while Wild World/Gamecube *is* really good, they are full of tutorial dialogue. City Folk's dialogue tree system is terrible and New Leaf, oh boy, repetitive *and* tutorial, wonderful. xD
Apart from the small talk dialogue in the beginning I like new horizons dialogue a lot

I joined TBT back in CF days but then stopped in NL, so never saw any mention of landscaping in the forums lol. As for the dialogue, I definitely agree. GCN had great mean dialogue and a lot of it was really funny, but it sure had a lot of tutorial dialogue that you'd get even later when you progressed through the game or it would have a lot of dialogue about trading/buying/taking things from your pockets. WW is, imo, AC dialogue at its peak (but it was also super repetitive. Like, a lot). CF dialogue was lame and NL was like talking to robots who wanted me to run errands for them all day.

And, are we seriously on the same forum? I see criticisms towards NH on a daily basis. There's a huge rant thread. Just last week someone made a thread about beans being bad in NH compared to NL.

The positive threads vastly outnumber the negative ones. And you talk about the fact that beans were better in New Leaf somehow outlandish to fathom.

The positive threads vastly outnumber the negative ones. And you talk about the fact that beans were better in New Leaf somehow outlandish to fathom.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I'm sure you decided to name your thread "another older animal crossing game has a superior element to NH" for a reason (because, yeah, we get tons of those threads, lmao). I've made my point about beans in the beans thread, so you're free to look into that if you want.

I like that Blathers can identify the fossils for you. If you're mailing them, once you start mailing fossils on a daily bases, you'll be getting identified ones back on a daily bases as well. So there isn't any difference as long as you keep the flow going.

I have to completely disagree with the Able Sisters. The dressing room is probably the coolest thing that could have happened with their store. Walking up to one item and going through dialogue just to try it on and see it from a very poor angle was not fun. Plus, New Horizons has so many clothing options that the old way of doing things could never work well.

New Horizons cliffs have potential to be blocky since they are modular. However, you can curve and smooth them out if you put a little more time into the development though. The real issue is that the cliffs are nearly the same height as the player, which just looks weird.

I almost never send letters in NH because of how time consuming it is. I'd really love for this to be more streamlined. I do love having all the stationary available though without having to buy 1-2 types randomly per day.

I agree, Isabelle is more useless and not as charming in New Horizons compared to New Leaf. Her attitude seems as though she got the job because of favoritism with Nook and not because she is qualified or hardworking.

NES games aren't coming back to New Horizons. Nintendo is already offering these to Nintendo Online players through the a dedicated Switch app. This would be a bit unnecessary.

Villager dialogue is definitely something we need back (in one way or another). Just watch how this Youtuber explains it. (Timestamp 6:57)

I joined TBT back in CF days but then stopped in NL, so never saw any mention of landscaping in the forums lol. As for the dialogue, I definitely agree. GCN had great mean dialogue and a lot of it was really funny, but it sure had a lot of tutorial dialogue that you'd get even later when you progressed through the game or it would have a lot of dialogue about trading/buying/taking things from your pockets. WW is, imo, AC dialogue at its peak (but it was also super repetitive. Like, a lot). CF dialogue was lame and NL was like talking to robots who wanted me to run errands for them all day.
I agree with all of this
New Horizons is like... the first game in which I don't get two lines in a row from the same villager. Happens in every other game. New Leaf and City Folk dialogue are terrible. Wild World is indeed the best but there are still some tutorial dialogue issues as well as repetitive dialogue (and even repetitive requests, dang I can't get Tabby to ask for anything but a dung beetle, I'm sorry girl I can't find a dang dung beetle I tried). New Horizons and Gamecube are about tied second place for me, because tutorial dialogue and 'taking stuff' dialogue is annoying, but so is small talk for the first 5 times you talk to the villagers, if you get through that the lines are great but yeah lol

Honestly only better thing I can think of from other games that I prefer rather than NH is how cut-throat and full of personality villagers used to be

If this is truly your opinion, then you can't be wrong, but I still think NH is the best game in the series. And for me, it's not even close.

I used to be critical of New Horizons and it's furniture a lot but I just quit playing the game and now I love it. I don't know, I have mixed opinions on everything but I don't care anymore, I'm having fun.

One thing I find interesting though is that back in the New Leaf days on this forum everyyyy other thread was about landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, plot resetting, plot resetting, LANDSCAPING and everyone had like 5 towns in different stages of landscaping completion and now that people have their cute town builder they don't like it lol

Also I went back and tried out the villager dialogue in all games, and while Wild World/Gamecube *is* really good, they are full of tutorial dialogue. City Folk's dialogue tree system is terrible and New Leaf, oh boy, repetitive *and* tutorial, wonderful. xD
Apart from the small talk dialogue in the beginning I like new horizons dialogue a lot
Yep! People criticized NL left and right because villagers moved over their beautiful flowers, or in the way of their town hall. Or a villager they paid 1,000,000s+ of bells for just randomly decided to leave when they left their game for a week! And loads of threads of people resetting countless times, too. Miss me with all of that again.

I think we’re just at that point in a series’ lifespan where there are just so many entries, people will cling to one and insist it is somehow better than the latest iteration due to an exclusive feature, nostalgia, hipster-like mentality, etc.

Literally every other Animal Crossing (arguable exception being WW) is superior to GCN in some capacity, be it customization, social features, item collection, goals, furniture, graphics, and so on. GCN is still an amazing game FULL of charm though, and I’ll always love it for what it is.

fun fact #2 for redd: he still sells art, and it can still be fake. as a "fun" bonus, there's no way to tell other than attempting to sell or donate it, as nintendo didn't intrduce a method to distinguish reals from fakes until new leaf
in AC:GCN art will always be genuine. I think fake art was introduced in WW.

but yeah the main thing that breaks NH for me is the dialogue. I'm always going back to AC:GCN because the dialogue is humorous, sarcastic, and even a bit rude. there's a huge array of dialogue that you can hear from each personality type and it makes the game so much more interesting (heck once I made a flipbook on Flipnote Studio 3D purely based on my interactions with villager dialogue).

since that's no longer really a thing in NH it makes the game so boring and not charismatic at all. that's why it's took me 5+ years to drop AC:GCN (temporarily) versus the 4 months it took me to drop NH.

I think we’re just at that point in a series’ lifespan where there are just so many entries, people will cling to one and insist it is somehow better than the latest iteration due to an exclusive feature, nostalgia, hipster-like mentality, etc.
That bit you said kinda reminds me of the Zelda cycle where long story short bash on the new entry and praise the previous ones. I get some of those vibes here as well. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of all this drama...

That bit you said kinda reminds me of the Zelda cycle where long story short bash on the new entry and praise the previous ones. I get some of those vibes here as well. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of all this drama...

Each Zelda game is vastly different from the next. Animal Crossing games tend to have subtle differences between iterations (which is why the small details matter so much).

See, and there we go again "I'm getting a little tired of all this drama". Would it be better if this forum was an echo chamber?

Why are you guys falling for some of the most obvious bait I've seen in this forum in months?

I don't think it's bait, unless I'm missing the point. These 2 paragraphs seem pretty genuine.

Something else I noticed from the moment that I started the GCN game is how much more witty and entertaining all dialogue in the game is. Nook laughs at me for being broke. Resetti is passionate about his work. The villagers aren't too cozy with the idea of me moving in at first. Then slowly it feels as if everyone becomes more accepting of my presence in the town. It's gradual. In New Horizons, I swear, everything seems so upbeat and peppy.

Even now I'm thinking about cool things such as going into the lighthouse to turn on the lights in the GCN game. Which leads me to a next point I forgot to make. Everything outside being relegated to an item really takes away the charms of items. It feels as though everything is scaled as if it had to fit indoors and outdoors at the same scale. This makes thing so underwhelming. The lighthouse (and other large outdoor items) tend to feel like fake playthings and don't blend in well with the greater environment at times. Because the lighthouse is an item, obviously my hopes of ever going INSIDE of it are as good as dead.

I don't think it's bait, unless I'm missing the point. These 2 paragraphs seem pretty genuine.

It's not 'bait'. So thanks for recognising that. I just want to discuss the topic. After playing the GCN game for about a month and falling in love with a lot of the little details in that game - I had an urge to make a post about it. I don't think it'd make much sense for me to write several paragraphs for the sole purpose of 'bait'.
Post automatically merged:

The other posts make it more obvious.

So in actually, I do not play New Horizons every day. I'm not ACTUALLY a fan of Animal Crossing, and I don't actually want to have a better experience playing the game. I'm just an internet troll.

I get that a lot in life.
Post automatically merged:

I'll say one positive thing I've enjoyed about NH recently. The outdoor Festivale furniture has been pretty awesome. I love it.

Last edited:
Each Zelda game is vastly different from the next. Animal Crossing games tend to have subtle differences between iterations (which is why the small details matter so much).

Small details definitely matter, I agree 100%. However, maybe you're not looking at the small details NH does actually have. It's so dumb, but I was so surprised when I first saw my first plane trail in the sky when my friend left my island. Or my villager breathing hot air out in the cold. Then we have the cute things like villagers sweeping around, sitting in the grass, falling asleep, and so on. My favorite one is when I first saw my plant MOVE when a fan blew in its direction. Typical Animal Crossing player mentality, but I was so struck by it!

I don't want to go point by point with each of your arguments, but I did notice you give a lot of brownie points to AC: GCN for "personality" and "charm". That's subjective stuff, IMO. For instance, you said the Nooks' shop had more charm in GCN than NH. I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't want a whopping huge department store on this previously abandoned island of mine. A cozy, small shop that reminds me of Re-Tail and actually decorates for nearly every holiday, big and small?? That's personality and charm to me. Less daily furniture stock isn't much of a problem either with crafting.

See, and there we go again "I'm getting a little tired of all this drama". Would it be better if this forum was an echo chamber?

It would be better if some people on this forum could give their opinions without calling others fanboys, for one, as you did in your original post within this thread. I don't post my opinions and thoughts while also calling people that dislike the game or disagree with me, "Animal Crossing haterz!!". Wouldn't that be dramatic and ridiculous?

Small details definitely matter, I agree 100%. However, maybe you're not looking at the small details NH does actually have. It's so dumb, but I was so surprised when I first saw my first plane trail in the sky when my friend left my island. Or my villager breathing hot air out in the cold. Then we have the cute things like villagers sweeping around, sitting in the grass, falling asleep, and so on. My favorite one is when I first saw my plant MOVE when a fan blew in its direction. Typical Animal Crossing player mentality, but I was so struck by it!

I don't want to go point by point with each of your arguments, but I did notice you give a lot of brownie points to AC: GCN for "personality" and "charm". That's subjective stuff, IMO. For instance, you said the Nooks' shop had more charm in GCN than NH. I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't want a whopping huge department store on this previously abandoned island of mine. A cozy, small shop that reminds me of Re-Tail and actually decorates for nearly every holiday, big and small?? That's personality and charm to me. Less daily furniture stock isn't much of a problem either with crafting.

It would be better if some people on this forum could give their opinions without calling others fanboys, for one, as you did in your original post within this thread. I don't post my opinions and thoughts while also calling people that dislike the game or disagree with me, "Animal Crossing haterz!!". Wouldn't that be dramatic and ridiculous?
The big details matter, too! You know, like terraforming, crafting, and island hopping for new villagers. Those things tend to get ignored because beans don't go far enough when you throw them, or because the only crop we have is pumpkins...

I love all these things in NH, actually! And in the next AC I'll be complaining if any of them get dropped.

I was mostly referring the Raffle Day that Nook held. He closed down shop for a whole day to give back to his patrons.

This post doesn't exist in a vacuum, and is a direct response to those in the other NL related thread. Yeah it would be nice to go without that - but precedence has been set.

This is so true! It’s fun to think about how the Nooklings started their shop in the main tent, but you gradually help them grow their business by finding materials and making sales with them!

They’re just two little kids, but it’s nice to see how you helped them grow the business and have their own little shop on the island :)

I guess I'm just a little confused on what OP wants to discuss because it seems like this the original post is just a love letter to the original game and if that's the case...wouldn't this thread be better suited in Animal Crossing subforum?

I agree, Isabelle is more useless and not as charming in New Horizons compared to New Leaf. Her attitude seems as though she got the job because of favoritism with Nook and not because she is qualified or hardworking.

Also, this made me lol and then cry at how true it is.

Back