• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Another "older Animal Crossing game has a superior element to New Horizons" thread

Boidoh

Bells
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Maybe this time I'll get less people attack the title of the thread.

So recently my girlfriend and I decided to start a playthrough of the GCN Animal Crossing game. Many on another thread insisted that New Horizons was NOT a direct continuation of New Leaf, but rather took the original game as a basis and built off of that. I can somewhat see where people got this idea. A lot of elements found in New Horizon (some that I like) seem inspired by the GCN game, such as the slightly-overhead camera angle (which I vastly prefer over the rolling log), the glowing spots for the money trees (though for some reason they seem overabundant in NH), less buildings (Nook's Cranny, Able Sisters, Post Office and Museum), K.K. Slider performing outside, and a singly contained area (i.e. no City or Main Street). Then, fine. If you want to view it through a lense that these things were made as an homage to the GCN game as opposed to blatant laziness - it makes these things slightly more palatable. But does it?

Let's look at Nook's Cranny, which by its name alone seems to be an homage to the games of old. Not "Nookling's Cranny" as in New Leaf, but a straight up reference to the Tanooki himself. But once again, NH fails here. How will those desperate to convince those of us with modest expectations of the game that we are wrong defend this point? I anticipate your response... The GCN game (and if I'm not wrong, every other game) had 3 upgrades - NH has one.

Even when it comes to the store alone - it has so much more personality and charm in the GCN game. One feature that I fell in love with was the raffle system. Every purchase would net a raffle ticket to be used for that month, and every 5 tickets could be used in a raffle at the end of the month. On the final day, Tom Nook would not sell any items and instead the store would be decorate for the raffle in which every 5 tickets allowed you at a chance to get one of 3 rare items. This was such a breath of fresh air from the constant nothingness that exists in NH!

The Able Sisters seems moderately better than the GCN game in NH, however, I still dislike the shift to menus in this game. I prefered having to walk up the item - though I suppose that's taste. It felt more in line with the series for menus to be relegated to game-type menus (like saving), or ABDs.

This might be a hot take - but I liked the way fossil analysis was done in the GCN game. Instead of Blathers being able to analyse your fossils on the spot, you had to mail in your fossils to be analysed, then they'd be sent back. I think that you only get back 3 per day. This makes you wait longer, but, it feels so much more satisfying to me. It makes me appreciate fossils more, and it gives a viable use of stationary! I think stationary was cut from New Horizons? Because I've never used it at all. I think now it's just like, selected from a menu when you gift an item or send a letter? I've never sent any in NH. It felt so out of the way (all the way at the airport) to even think about sending letters, not to mention pretty much useless other than for a Nook Miles achievement - though feel free to prove me wrong on this.

Do I think it's a 'con' that NH uses the fossil analysis convention that became standard in every game post-GCN? Nah, but, it does serve as a small hole in the "NH is a successor to the GCN game" argument, and, I do genuinely think that mailing fossils for analysis is a good thing (not that the current system is worse). Maybe they could have made things come full circle. A new curator is at the museum, and this time, Blathers is the one working at the Faraway Museums analysing fossils for small faraway towns (fits with the deserted island theme that many use as an excuse for the shortcomings of NH).

Something else I noticed from the moment that I started the GCN game is how much more witty and entertaining all dialogue in the game is. Nook laughs at me for being broke. Resetti is passionate about his work. The villagers aren't too cozy with the idea of me moving in at first. Then slowly it feels as if everyone becomes more accepting of my presence in the town. It's gradual. In New Horizons, I swear, everything seems so upbeat and peppy. Even the design of everything. I somehow prefer the lower-resolution look of the GCN villagers than their appearance in NH. From the small things, such as the villagers seemingly forgetting your name when the game boots up (as a character select), and it being a different one each time is charming. Starting off with a desk view of Isabelle (who is EVEN MORE useless in this game than she was in her game of origin) rattling of about her favourite show (that I'm guessing only exists for the purpose of dialogue) isn't fun, charming, or endearing. She is there because she's popular. I'm not sure who else agrees with me on this, but Isabelle is one of the single worst additions to Animal Crossing. In my opinion, she doesn't even fit in with the other animal designs, and just has an annoying 'character'. The GCN game is vastly superior simply due to the fact that Isabelle isn't in the game.

This has made me think about the other day when a staunch NH defender insisted so much that Resetti is in New Horizons. Well, technically he is, but obviously that's not what people mean when they say they want him in the game. We don't want 2 lines of dialogue. I think the best thing to demonstrate tone shift between the GCN game and NH is to simply put Resetti and Isabelle side by side. Tom Nook is less salty in NH, but I can chalk that up to subtle character development over the past few games - fine. But then we go back to people who cherry pick. Is this a "spiritual successor to the GCN game", or is this a continuation of the lineage of Animal Crossing games of the past.

There are a lot of minor things too, like the fun ball that existed to kick around for fun. How much more natural cliffs and rivers felt versus the blocky feel of NH's custom cliffs and rivers. Or maybe the fact that Tortimer, Copper and Booker, and Pelly are all missing. But I think the major downfall of New Horizons is when it comes to items.

The other day Redd came into my town for the first time in the GCN game. Being influenced by the other games, I expected this was where I'd get art for the museum. I had dug up a common painting before, but I assumed it was just because it was a common painting. When Redd took me into his tent, I was surprised! Beautiful items! NES games, a double bass (I'm a jazz fan), and other awesome items! In general, the GCN game has been surprising my with how much awesome designed items exist. I saw my girlfriend's beautifully decorated home and I was just in awe (especially to see the different items she got compared to me). New Horizons cannot compare. Yes, we can't place items outside in the GCN game. I think this is the part where I'm supposed to throw a bone and talk about how game-changing it is to place items outside and the level of creativity it offers, and how that feature alone warrants this game's existence. But no.

That feature would be good if the items were good. I feel as though I constantly get the same exact items in NH over and over. The same garbage items that I don't want, or the same items I've been stuck with (from the ABD thing in the Town Hall) since the beginning of the game. I feel as though items are severely small in scale compared to the GCN game, and just lack charm. I'm sure someone will say "you're wrong because there's so much beautiful homes in NH", but the simple truth is - the items in NH are lackluster. I don't want to use a single item I get from any holidays (except the suitcase from Rover, I liked that event a lot).

I'm sure there were things in here that I missed, and I am only about a month into the GCN game, but when the first game in the series beats out the most modern entry on so many fronts - there is an undeniable problem.

Even now I'm thinking about cool things such as going into the lighthouse to turn on the lights in the GCN game. Which leads me to a next point I forgot to make. Everything outside being relegated to an item really takes away the charms of items. It feels as though everything is scaled as if it had to fit indoors and outdoors at the same scale. This makes thing so underwhelming. The lighthouse (and other large outdoor items) tend to feel like fake playthings and don't blend in well with the greater environment at times. Because the lighthouse is an item, obviously my hopes of ever going INSIDE of it are as good as dead.

Anyways - I await the NH fanboys to tell me I am wrong.

Also notice, I went through (I think) this entire thread without mentioning New Leaf (at least extensively). Hopefully this mitigates the amount of people (like last time) who accused me of being a New Leaf fanboy.

(which I vastly prefer over the rolling log)
rolling log still exists, iirc. just we have the gamecube and new leaf style camera angles to switch between now
Post automatically merged:

Something else I noticed from the moment that I started the GCN game is how much more witty and entertaining all dialogue in the game is.
yeah, the treehouse team had more freedom with the localization back then. same for wild world

idr how city folk was, but at latest, by the time of new leaf was when they started trying to stay as close to the jp script as possible. which as a result had the more recent games end up losing a lot of the personality that was in older games prior in the process

Last edited:
LambdaDelta said:
rolling log still exists, iirc. just we have the gamecube and new leaf style camera angles to switch between now

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just noting that for the first time since the GCN game, that camera angle was brought back. I tend to rarely use the rolling log since it's so easy to move out of it.

LambdaDelta said:
yeah, the treehouse team had more freedom with the localization back then. same for wild world

idr how city folk was, but at latest, by the time of new leaf was when they started trying to stay as close to the jp script as possible. which as a result had the more recent games end up losing a lot of the personality that was in older games prior in the process

I figured that was the reason - but it doesn't make it okay.

also fun fact for redd: you can get infinite inventory from him by buying all his stock and then hunting down his new tent location (which will be restocked with new items each time you buy him out)

fun fact #2 for redd: he still sells art, and it can still be fake. as a "fun" bonus, there's no way to tell other than attempting to sell or donate it, as nintendo didn't intrduce a method to distinguish reals from fakes until new leaf

but beyond that, yeah. redd's gimmick in the older games aside from being the only place you can get most of the art was that he sold various other items that may or may not be exclusive to him. with of course the non-exclusives being jacked up scam prices vs what you would pay at nook's

I love GCN Animal Crossing! I have such good memories of playing it with my sister when I was a kid. She used to chop down all the trees in our town and I would get so mad!

I also love New Horizons! It gives me the same warm fuzzy feelings as playing the GCN AC. I love how NH builds on everything that was awesome about the original while keeping some of the same tones and themes.

It’s not a competition and it all just boils down to personal preference. For example, I personally don’t care that the Nook’s Cranny in NH doesn’t upgrade, because I like it the way it is, so I don’t see lack of upgrades as a downside. Aesthetically, I think the items in NH look much better and have a greater variety than the items in GCN, which I generally found to be kinda ugly! But all of these things are just matters of personal preference and taste and there are no “rights” or “wrongs.” I think both games are great and I’m grateful I’ll get to have fond memories of each of them!

It’s not a competition and it all just boils down to personal preference.

Not necessarily, but, on a previous thread many were quite to throw aside my qualms about New Horizons as simply "this is not New Leaf 2", and that NH was ACTUALLY a spiritual successor to the GCN game. After playing the GCN game for a bit, I felt an urge to put my thoughts into words.

It's not a competition, but when other games exist in a lineage, it's only natural to expect each successor to surpass the previous. One step forward and two steps back isn't adequate.

also, of course opinions on the furniture items are subjective, but I do think just about everyone would love to see at least most of all the scrapped furniture in prior games to be brought back (anniversary update, maybe? that'd be one simple way to do a big celebration update thing people could get behind, even if it'd also accompany a bunch of 'should've one this from the start' takes). even if they don't like, it doesn't hurt for others to be able to have, after all

and then of course there's plenty that would like to see pocket camp's fancy stuff brought over, but I feel the exploitative monetary aspects of it kills that prospect dead (plus, though there's plenty of nice stuff in it, my own hot take is a bunch of it would feel just too out of place with how extravagant it is)

Not necessarily, but, on a previous thread many were quite to throw aside my qualms about New Horizons as simply "this is not New Leaf 2", and that NH was ACTUALLY a spiritual successor to the GCN game. After playing the GCN game for a bit, I felt an urge to put my thoughts into words.

It's not a competition, but when other games exist in a lineage, it's only natural to expect each successor to surpass the previous. One step forward and two steps back isn't adequate.
I hear what you’re saying! I just think that what counts as “one step forward and two steps back” is subjective. Someone could say that taking out the balls around town or the ability to go inside the lighthouse counts as a step back. But another person might say that the quality of NH was not negatively affected by taking out those things, so to that person, removing that particular content would not be a step back. The value people place on different elements of the games is ultimately just personal preference, and so because of that, whether NH is a step forward or backward from GCN is going to be perceived differently by everybody, and there’s no concrete right or wrong answer regarding if it’s better or worse.

For me, it’s better :) I love GCN, and I feel like NH takes everything great about it and pushes it forward. But nobody’s opinion about which game is better is right or wrong... it really is all just preference, and I think realizing that would save everyone a lot of headaches!

also, of course opinions on the furniture items are subjective, but I do think just about everyone would love to see at least most of all the scrapped furniture in prior games to be brought back. even if they don't like, it doesn't hurt for others to be able to have, after all

I hear what you’re saying! I just think that what counts as “one step forward and two steps back” is subjective.

Of course it's subjective, but:

1. Where's the fun in that?
2. Why should I be drowned out by a loud (majority or minority?) that doesn't think it's an issue?
3. Would I have to preface everything I state as "this is only my opinion", "this is subjective", etc.?

These are all rhetorical questions, and I think it's inferred that it's subjective - it's supposed to spark discussion and debate but it tends to boil down to "just accept it". A lot of people tend to immediately want to shut down those with opposing viewpoints (not this thread so far, but another one was quite feisty), so if anything, I try to bring across the points of those who share the same viewpoints as myself.

and then of course there's plenty that would like to see pocket camp's fancy stuff brought over, but I feel the exploitative monetary aspects of it kills that prospect dead (plus, though there's plenty of nice stuff in it, my own hot take is a bunch of it would feel just too out of place with how extravagant it is)

I've never played Pocket Camp (other than to get the promotional NH items), but someone talked about some cool birch trees and other awesome stuff in another thread. I'd love to see those come to NH! Just hearing about it adds to my harsh opinions on NH.

I love the original AC game! I restarted my town a few days ago and it’s been really exciting to have a fresh start.

I don’t think NH should be compared to the original game. It lacks the charm, the wit and the soul it has. (Also the soundtracks are not comparable!)

The only thing ACNH does better is graphics but that’s to be expected. I don’t mind the graphics of the early games because graphics aren’t everything. The gameplay, characters, NPC’s and buildings are much better in the original game.

So what you're saying is.... crafting isn't even new to NH?
no, minecraft came out in 2011

though new horizons crafting is far superior in multiple ways. generally less stupid mat requirements and doesn't force you to wait for x amount of time possibly hours long or pay up with the game's purchasable with irl money currency

no, minecraft came out in 2011

though new horizons crafting is far superior in multiple ways. generally less stupid mat requirements and doesn't force you to wait for x amount of time possibly hours long or pay up with the game's purchasable with irl money currency

Good one! Haha!

But I made that statement because, in a previous thread a core rebuttal to my point of NH dropping so much elements of NL was that major mechanics such as crafting, outdoor furniture, and terraforming make up for all that's gone due to it being new to the series. I argued that crafting didn't make a huge difference in gameplay for me and after a few weeks in, served more of a chore/annoyance than anything else.

I didn't know crafting (in Animal Crossing) existed prior. I suppose by extension, outdoor furniture is a feature to Pocket Camp as well, leaving terraforming as the only new feature NH brought to the series.

Like said above, NH only has better graphics and thats about that.
I describe NH as an instagram/twitter game. Post ur creations and thats that. The charms long gone and villagers are just plain and boring.
I put twice as much hrs in WW and NL than on NH. You can deffo enjoy the game but imo its not what it used to be. I couldnt care less if they added sanrio villagers or zelda themed since they will all have same dialogue as everyone else. Villagers were always the main charm in AC franchise but now its just sims with robotic animals walking around.

I spent a ton of time working on my island and posting it on reddit , basically showing it off but that got boring real quick. Its definetely an enjoyable game but any AC veteran would agree that it just doesnt feel like a proper AC game should. Unless they add tons of new dialogue aswell as more stuff to do with ur fav villagers but otherwise its gonna stay the same dried out game. 7 years of waitin for a new big AC game you would think that nintendos gonna do amazing changes for the villagers and make em super enjoyable but all they truly did was just make them do more activites like lift weights or sing, which is super nice but once again it just aint enough.

Hopefully 2021 updates will bring the changes that the game really needs.

Like said above, NH only has better graphics and thats about that.

It seems people value "being fair" - so I'll add that NH has better general "quality of life" features, and gives a great sense of "freedom". But that matters very little when substance is absent. Though oddly, I disagree with you - I find the GCN graphics very charming. ACNH (other than the sky which Nintendo always nails out of the park), feels very "plasticy" if that makes sense?

I describe NH as a instagram/twitter game. Post ur creations and thats that.

Yep! I think this went to Nintendo's head (if they ever even planned to do anything with this game's updates anyways). From Joe Biden's campaign using this game as a political tool to all the Reddit/Twitter/Tumblr normies (more than New Leaf! wow!), it does feel like a "trendy" game to play more than anything else.

Villagers were always the main charm in AC franchise but now its just sims with robotic animals walkij around.

I definitely feel that way about them. I almost never talk to my NH villagers.

I spent a ton of time working on my island and posting it on reddit , basically showing it off but that got boring real quick. Its definetely an enjoyable game but any AC veteran would agree that it just doesnt feel like a proper AC game should. Unless they add tons of new dialogue aswell as more stuff to do with ur fav villagers but otherwise its gonna stay the same dried out game.

Agreed. I can understand that some people are satisfied with what the game offers, but for those of us who want more - our opinions should be shoved to the wayside.

7 years of waitin for a new big AC game you would think that nintendos gonna do amazing changes for the villagers and make em super enjoyable but all they truly did was just make them do more activites like lift weights or sing, which is super nice but once again it just aint enough.

Yeah! I noticed that! The way they run around too - I think they do that in the GCN game? It's really charming - but again, no substance to it. They look cool but, then what?

It seems people value "being fair" - so I'll add that NH has better general "quality of life" features, and gives a great sense of "freedom". But that matters very little when substance is absent. Though oddly, I disagree with you - I find the GCN graphics very charming. ACNH (other than the sky which Nintendo always nails out of the park), feels very "plasticy" if that makes sense?

Yep! I think this went to Nintendo's head (if they ever even planned to do anything with this game's updates anyways). From Joe Biden's campaign using this game as a political tool to all the Reddit/Twitter/Tumblr normies (more than New Leaf! wow!), it does feel like a "trendy" game to play more than anything else.

I definitely feel that way about them. I almost never talk to my NH villagers.

Agreed. I can understand that some people are satisfied with what the game offers, but for those of us who want more - our opinions should be shoved to the wayside.

Yeah! I noticed that! The way they run around too - I think they do that in the GCN game? It's really charming - but again, no substance to it. They look cool but, then what?

Yeah, i agree with everything you said and I definetely get what you mean about the GCN graphics. I also really like that style and im a big fan of it aswell. ATM it does look very plastic-like for sure but it is what it is. Just generally speaking its a huge improvement visually but at the end of the day graphics arent what makes a game fun and I guess nintendo thinks differently about that lol.

The hilarious thing is that back in the Wii days when Nintendo was the worst in graphics - the typical phrase of the Nintendo fan was "gameplay over graphics". How times have changed!

But I still think that the art style isn't to taste.

Hey, look at my signature. I have been playing the GCN game for a while too. I had to draw my character and my favorite animal villager. I think one big thing the NH game is missing is the wackiness of it all. There is something fun about a shady racoon ordering you around. There is something really annoying about animal villagers tricking you. And there is something wonderful about Resetti going on and on about how there is no resetting in irl. Lol. The villager dialogue is so amazing. Loved the raffle system.

The furniture in NH is beautiful, but in GCN, it's really silly, and I like them all the better.

Of course I love NH. The decorating and terraforming is really fun. I've gone through 2-3 different themes for my town. But it is missing a little bit of that Nintendo magic.

You expressed your opinion. You cannot be right, you cannot be wrong. At least not objectively. Which is why I don’t understand your final statement: people cannot tell you you’re wrong but you have the right to say that you’re absolutely right? I don’t know if you wanted to express this but this is the message you convey. Everyone has the right to express their opinion and I understand you felt attacked by people who defend New Horizons, but have you ever thought about the possibility they might feel the same because of people condeming every single aspect of New Horizons?
Honestly, I had enough of these threads. Every Animal Crossing game is different. People can compare them of course but I‘ve come to think it’s absurd to regard any Animal Crossing game as ”standard”. New Horizons is evidently completely different from any other Animal Crossing game so it’s normal one can feel concered with all these differences, such as many furniture sets not being a thing anymore. However, it’s unfair to say that something is bad because it’s different. Anyone is free to like what they want but shouldn’t consider their own opinion as objective and correct, because an opinion is just that. I apologise if my tone comes to you as a bit aggressive but your tone sounded aggressive too, at least to me. I hope these threads will soon stop being so popular because all they do is annoying people, those who defend New Horizons and condemn it alike.

Back