• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Another "older Animal Crossing game has a superior element to New Horizons" thread

Literally most of the features you mention were cut from all other AC games (including NH). NH is actually one of the few games in the series to bring back long lost features from the GCN.

As for the dialogue: yeah, it’s not the same but it was never like that either in NL or CF. In fact, NH improved NPC dialogue and villager dialogue by a lot (Blathers actually talks a lot more this time, much like the original game).

There is stationary (and probably the best and cutest in the series). And unlike GCN (and NL, for some reason), you can actually send it to friends. Edit: I see what you mean. You can’t buy stationary (which you also couldn’t in NL) but you can still send letters (which was its sole purpose if you bought stationary)

You can buy directly from the items displayed i Able Sisters (and not just “going into a menu”).

Redd also sells items in NH (which is actually a first in the series, if I’m not mistaken). So the only two games where he sells items: GCN and NH.

Nooklings has 2 updates, not 1.

If I’m not mistaken , we have more items in NH than in GCN.

Getting in the lighthouse wasn’t a feature in any other game (there wasn’t even a lighthouse in WW, I think).

I’d suggest you play the game some more instead of doing a criticism without any base.

Last edited:
I've honestly got a strange relationship with the original game, in that I like a lot of it and think it's got the best atmosphere of all the AC games and think it also does a lot of stuff badly... which is honestly also my reaction to NH.

It's got some beautiful events that have animals doing stuff near the Wishing Well for them as well as near the lake, those big bush things that I'm still disappointed they haven't brought back yet, a police station with BOTH Copper and Booker, where you could see what NPCs were UPCOMING, the best-looking Post Office in AC, and one of the best displays of Kazumi Totaka's kitschy, quirky soundtrack style... but a REALLY clunky storage system that in particular hampers all the event items that're in the game, NES games and raffle tickets, a load of villager dialog consisting of tutorials for stuff you've done already, weird villager hours, and really muffled-sounding Animalese.

However. ultimately don't think it's wise to act like one AC game's perfect and another's trash, because they all offer something different, whether that's good or bad in my eyes, or yours.

Even Pocket Camp, a game I HATE, at least has some nice furniture involved.
Post automatically merged:

You can buy directly from the items displayed i Able Sisters (and not just “going into a menu”).

Redd also sells items in NH (which is actually a first in the series, if I’m not mistaken). So the only two games where he sells items: GCN and NH.

The menu system DOES suck for the Ables, tho, bc it's kinda clunky and stops you from interacting with Mabel directly most of the time (but I do like the fact that Label's gone off into the world again, albeit on better terms with her sisters than before... some really nice character development there!)

Redd only JUST sold art in NL, and it's honestly one of the things that sucks about it. I would like him to sell some exclusive items on board his ship instead of just colour variations, tho.

The one thing I DO like about the Nookling upgrades in this game is they're not just based around aesthetic and an increased amount of things they sell every day, they start selling more varied furniture items with each upgrade (and whenever the next upgrade happens, it'll come with MORE furniture)

Last edited:
I've honestly got a strange relationship with the original game, in that I like a lot of it and think it's got the best atmosphere of all the AC games and think it also does a lot of stuff badly... which is honestly also my reaction to NH.

It's got some beautiful events that have animals doing stuff near the Wishing Well for them as well as near the lake, those big bush things that I'm still disappointed they haven't brought back yet, a police station with BOTH Copper and Booker, where you could see what NPCs were UPCOMING, the best-looking Post Office in AC, and one of the best displays of Kazumi Totaka's kitschy, quirky soundtrack style... but a REALLY clunky storage system that in particular hampers all the event items that're in the game, NES games and raffle tickets, a load of villager dialog consisting of tutorials for stuff you've done already, weird villager hours, and really muffled-sounding Animalese.

However. ultimately don't think it's wise to act like one AC game's perfect and another's trash, because they all offer something different, whether that's good or bad in my eyes, or yours.

Even Pocket Camp, a game I HATE, at least has some nice furniture involved.

The menu system DOES suck for the Ables, tho, bc it's kinda clunky and stops you from interacting with Mabel directly most of the time (but I do like the fact that Label's gone off into the world again, albeit on better terms with her sisters than before... some really nice character development there!)

Redd only JUST sold art in NL, and it's honestly one of the things that sucks about it. I would like him to sell some exclusive items on board his ship instead of just colour variations, tho.

The one thing I DO like about the Nookling upgrades in this game is they're not just based around aesthetic and an increased amount of things they sell every day, they start selling more varied furniture items with each upgrade (and whenever the next upgrade happens, it'll come with MORE furniture)

Adding on to this, GCN had awesome things. I still play it and it’s probably one of my favorite in the series. But there’s also a ton of nostalgia. Analyzing fossils was a hassle (it’s fine OP likes it but I feel the general community disliked it); the dialogue (despite what everyone says) was pretty repetitive, too (and many times consisted in: “let me trade you this/let me buy this from you; and they’ll sometimes get something from you without your consent). Character customization was crap, furniture was very limited, and tbh, there wasn’t a ton you could do in the game (compared to now).

Literally most of the features you mention were cut from all other AC games (including NH). NH is actually one of the few games in the series to bring back long lost features from the GCN.

As for the dialogue: yeah, it’s not the same but it was never like that either in NL or CF. In fact, NH improved NPC dialogue and villager dialogue by a lot (Blathers actually talks a lot more this time, much like the original game).

There is stationary (and probably the best and cutest in the series). And unlike GCN (and NL, for some reason), you can actually send it to friends. Edit: I see what you mean. You can’t buy stationary (which you also couldn’t in NL) but you can still send letters (which was its sole purpose if you bought stationary)

If I’m not mistaken , we have more items in NH than in GCN.

Getting in the lighthouse wasn’t a feature in any other game (there wasn’t even a lighthouse in WW, I think).

I’d suggest you play the game some more instead of doing a criticism without any base.

I focused on the GCN game because the last time I compared it to New Leaf I was consistently told that this game is a spiritual successor to the GCN game.

Yeah you can buy SOME items from the Able Sisters, but not all.

Yeah, Redd sells items in NH but they aren't particularly good items.

Nook's Cranny*** has 1 upgrade - not two. The default, and the upgraded Nook's Cranny. It doesn't even change names. =]

I don't see how anything you mentioned undercuts my point.

I focused on the GCN game because the last time I compared it to New Leaf I was consistently told that this game is a spiritual successor to the GCN game.

Yeah you can buy SOME items from the Able Sisters, but not all.

Yeah, Redd sells items in NH but they aren't particularly good items.

Nook's Cranny*** has 1 upgrade - not two. The default, and the upgraded Nook's Cranny. It doesn't even change names. =]

I don't see how anything you mentioned undercuts my point.

Certainly, you do you, I guess. But you’re making excuses for yourself (yes, but...). The game brought back many features from GCN (even more than previous games). To me it’s certainly an homage (specially when it’s literally referencing specific moments/scenes from the original). And there are certainly more features brought back than those you mentioned.

And as I said before, NH isn’t the only game in the series to cut content from that game. This isn’t something particular from NH.

I've never played the GC version, so I find it hard to speak on features that were exclusive to that game, because some of the things you listed certainly weren't in WW or NL.

I really don't think an upgrade of Nook's Cranny is necessary in NH. don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Gracie return with her furniture sets as a possible upgrade, but at the moment I think the shop is good as it is. we have crafting in the game, which is the primary method to decorating our islands. there's SO much furniture you can craft and a myriad of customisation options. that's a feature that sets NH apart from the other installments, which is most likely why we don't have further upgrades.
I'm really surprised at the number of people I've seen that hate the furniture? GC furniture was better than NH's? really? the oldest AC game I played is WW and the furniture doesn't even touch NH's in terms of quality/appearance etc.

the fossil thing sounds tedious but you're entitled to an opinion.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but the dialogue in NH IS interesting and can be funny, everyday I'm discovering new lines. I admit I do miss them being rude from time to time, as they were in WW, but I don't think it's a bad thing they're not as blunt as they used to be.

I mean you're not wrong and you're allowed an opinion. but the majority of people now have gathered that they're completely different games with different features/objectives. it just feels redundant to see another thread complaining about how bad they think NH is.

Certainly, you do you, I guess. But you’re making excuses for yourself (yes, but...).

It's not as if you made me aware of information I didn't already know. It's the same as the type of person who argues that Resetti is in New Horizons. He is on a very technical and minute level, but that's not what people mean when they say they want him in the game.

while i'm being nitpicky i'll also say that this was called (*points to own username*) Bebebese. You could toggle it in WW/CF, I think, by talking on the attic phone to Rover.
Nice username!
But I meant the default Animalese sound in the GC game.
As someone who started off with WW it sounds weird by comparison to that and the one that's in later games... but at the same time I know there's a load of people who prefer that version?

It's not as if you made me aware of information I didn't already know. It's the same as the type of person who argues that Resetti is in New Horizons. He is on a very technical and minute level, but that's not what people mean when they say they want him in the game.

C'mon, you can't compare what I just said with that. I've never argued about Resetti being "technically" in the game, but you can't argue against features that are in the game and that you've claimed aren't. The facts are: you can buy furniture from Redd, you can buy things from Able without accessing the menu. And the facts are: there are many, many features that returned from GCN and there are references to GCN (including a very specific scene/moment in the game).

C'mon, you can't compare what I just said with that. I've never argued about Resetti being "technically" in the game, but you can't argue against features that are in the game and that you've claimed aren't. The facts are: you can buy furniture from Redd, you can buy things from Able without accessing the menu. And the facts are: there are many, many features that returned from GCN and there are references to GCN (including a very specific scene/moment in the game).

You didn't say it, but the logic is the same.

I re-read my post. I didn't say buying furniture from Redd wasn't in the game. I said "NH doesn't compare".

When speaking about the Able Sisters, I also made a general statement about a shift to menus for this game. If I added in "although I recognise that for some items you can still walk up to it and purchase" would it really have made a difference to you?

If anything, it can feel as though you are misrepresenting my claims. A strawman.

Nice username!
But I meant the default Animalese sound in the GC game.
As someone who started off with WW it sounds weird by comparison to that and the one that's in later games... but at the same time I know there's a load of people who prefer that version?
i've looked up some gc gameplay and it looks like i misremembered, the villagers def speak animalese (and it's muffled as hell lol).
i started with wild world too, and it's still my favourite. i think it sounds like everyone is talking through a phone. i always put it down to the limits of the hardware.

i think every new game makes an effort for the animalese to sound different, even pocket camp is different to new leaf.
at the risk of going off-topic for the thread i'll leave this little tangent here :)

You didn't say it, but the logic is the same.

I re-read my post. I didn't say buying furniture from Redd wasn't in the game. I said "NH doesn't compare".

When speaking about the Able Sisters, I also made a general statement about a shift to menus for this game. If I added in "although I recognise that for some items you can still walk up to it and purchase" would it really have made a difference to you?

If anything, it can feel as though you are misrepresenting my claims. A strawman.

But what is your point, though? That for NH to be a true homage to GCN it had to be a carbon copy of the game? I don't mind calling it an homage but I also don't care if anyone doesn't think that way, either. But the fact still remains that NH has brought back many features that were lost in other AC games following GCN. And it still made a clear reference to the original game.

But what is your point, though? That for NH to be a true homage to GCN it had to be a carbon copy of the game? I don't mind calling it an homage but I also don't care if anyone doesn't think that way, either. But the fact still remains that NH has brought back many features that were lost in other AC games following GCN. And it still made a clear reference to the original game.

In essence, I suppose my point is that NH is a game that has a substantial amount of shortcomings. I could care less if it threw fanservice at the GCN game so long as the gameplay is good. That statement was just meant as a jab at those who consistently argued that NH is a spiritual successor to the GCN game THEREFORE, the stuff that was absent from New Leaf is excusable. Their argument was that "NH isn't NL 2", so my points about so much being dropped from New Leaf was invalid. So if my points about NH dropping so much from NL are invalid, and the points made in this thread are invalid too - then what? The games exist in a lineage - it has to compared against SOMETHING. First comparing it against it's direct predecessor was unfair, but now this is too?

----------------

On an unrelated note, there seems to be some form or resentment for "this type of thread", or anything that doesn't give utter praise to NH. I like these thread - they cause discussion in the community and give a place for those who do not blindly accept Nintendo's crumbs. I suppose we can always have a lively discussion on "What is your favourite colour of Festivale items?", or perhaps a riveting debate on "Favourite New Reaction?" Or how can we not discuss if NH is "chill". Too positive? How about we talk about the most negative thing we're allowed to? Server maintenance!

There's an overabundance of "positive" or neutral NH posts.

Whether or not you agree with what I, or others, have stated in this thread - you all should at least believe in the right for those of us who have these opinions to share them in a public forum.

I've just started playing the Gamecube version recently and the biggest thing that I've noticed is that all the villagers are little tutorial bots. I haven't had that feeling with any of the dialogue in New Horizons from my villagers. There are lots of repetitive tutorial moments with Tom Nook in his announcements, but nobody really had him long enough in the beginning to notice. His announcements get really old really fast when you keep him around for a while.

It is also really annoying when you can't shop for anything on raffle day because raffle day happens to be the second day you play and you have absolutely no tools to play with. Though the concept of raffle day is fun and I think they should bring it back! Especially since they have two nooklings. One of them could hold the raffle and the other one can do regular shop functions.

I am so glad that A) we have Blathers on our island in NH B) I am so glad we don't have to send fossils to Faraway and C) Blathers gets to basically build his dream museum. I have looked it up and throughout the games Blathers gets the most consistent character growth and it is really nice to see.

I am glad that the games are different. I am glad we can still play the old games. I am glad that we can play the new games. That means that there is truly an AC game out there for everybody. And isn't that one of the joys of gaming? Different strokes for different folks?

In essence, I suppose my point is that NH is a game that has a substantial amount of shortcomings. I could care less if it threw fanservice at the GCN game so long as the gameplay is good. That statement was just meant as a jab at those who consistently argued that NH is a spiritual successor to the GCN game THEREFORE, the stuff that was absent from New Leaf is excusable. Their argument was that "NH isn't NL 2", so my points about so much being dropped from New Leaf was invalid. So if my points about NH dropping so much from NL are invalid, and the points made in this thread are invalid too - then what? The games exist in a lineage - it has to compared against SOMETHING. First comparing it against it's direct predecessor was unfair, but now this is too?

----------------

On an unrelated note, there seems to be some form or resentment for "this type of thread", or anything that doesn't give utter praise to NH. I like these thread - they cause discussion in the community and give a place for those who do not blindly accept Nintendo's crumbs. I suppose we can always have a lively discussion on "What is your favourite colour of Festivale items?", or perhaps a riveting debate on "Favourite New Reaction?" Or how can we not discuss if NH is "chill". Too positive? How about we talk about the most negative thing we're allowed to? Server maintenance!

There's an overabundance of "positive" or neutral NH posts.

Whether or not you agree with what I, or others, have stated in this thread - you all should at least believe in the right for those of us who have these opinions to share them in a public forum.

I mean, sure. You're free to do that if you want to. I don't mind comparing NH to previous games but I like to think of NH as its own game with its own unique features and content which I appreciate (which is also why I still play the game to this day, because I enjoy it). And again, sure, you can surely compare the games between each other in terms of content. WW is barebones if you compare it to other games.

I'm not one to defend corporations (like Nintendo, for that matter), but NH is not a barebones game by any chance. It sure is missing a lot of things from previous games, but most people compare it to features in NL that were absent in all other games, too.

And, are we seriously on the same forum? I see criticisms towards NH on a daily basis. There's a huge rant thread. Just last week someone made a thread about beans being bad in NH compared to NL. There's no overabundance of positive threads about NH, that is for sure. And sure, I think you have the right to voice your opinion, as do I.

I've just started playing the Gamecube version recently and the biggest thing that I've noticed is that all the villagers are little tutorial bots. I haven't had that feeling with any of the dialogue in New Horizons from my villagers. There are lots of repetitive tutorial moments with Tom Nook in his announcements, but nobody really had him long enough in the beginning to notice. His announcements get really old really fast when you keep him around for a while.

It is also really annoying when you can't shop for anything on raffle day because raffle day happens to be the second day you play and you have absolutely no tools to play with. Though the concept of raffle day is fun and I think they should bring it back! Especially since they have two nooklings. One of them could hold the raffle and the other one can do regular shop functions.

I am so glad that A) we have Blathers on our island in NH B) I am so glad we don't have to send fossils to Faraway and C) Blathers gets to basically build his dream museum. I have looked it up and throughout the games Blathers gets the most consistent character growth and it is really nice to see.

I am glad that the games are different. I am glad we can still play the old games. I am glad that we can play the new games. That means that there is truly an AC game out there for everybody. And isn't that one of the joys of gaming? Different strokes for different folks?

I agree with this, for sure.

NH is not a game for everyone. Animal Crossing is certainly not a franchise for everyone. I'd say most people grow tired of it in the first couple of months and then come back to it once in a while to see what's changed. I think a lot of the strong player base in AC community started with NL and so it makes sense that a lot were disappointed with NH, considering how much content NL had (compared to NH and all other AC games). NL wasn't a game for me, personally. It never clicked. I really enjoyed the original games and I really enjoy NH. And I definitely agree that everyone has the right to play whatever they want :) if you're looking for a more chill experience (with not a lot to do), you can still go back to the original games.

Last edited:
I used to be critical of New Horizons and it's furniture a lot but I just quit playing the game and now I love it. I don't know, I have mixed opinions on everything but I don't care anymore, I'm having fun.

One thing I find interesting though is that back in the New Leaf days on this forum everyyyy other thread was about landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, landscaping, plot resetting, plot resetting, LANDSCAPING and everyone had like 5 towns in different stages of landscaping completion and now that people have their cute town builder they don't like it lol

Also I went back and tried out the villager dialogue in all games, and while Wild World/Gamecube *is* really good, they are full of tutorial dialogue. City Folk's dialogue tree system is terrible and New Leaf, oh boy, repetitive *and* tutorial, wonderful. xD
Apart from the small talk dialogue in the beginning I like new horizons dialogue a lot

Back