Anime or Manga

I’ve always preferred manga. I can make the pace as fast I want and the volumes look great on a shelf. It’s also a matter of experience. As I’ve learned more Japanese I started to notice how the voices in the original language are just as bad as the English dub. I didn’t notice before taking classes because bad voice acting isn’t as noticeable when you don’t understand the language. With manga I can just make the voices for all of the characters.

Despite all of that I’ve still watched more anime. Reading manga legally is just too expensive. Printed copies range from $8 to $20. Multiply that by the number of volumes and that’s a ton of money. While I might not like the slow pacing or annoying voice acting many anime have, all I have to do to watch them is boot up a streaming service. I’d much rather pay a cheap subscription monthly than hundreds of dollars on one series. If the price wasn’t such a hurdle I’d read manga almost exclusively. It’s just so much more fun.

I really enjoy both for different reasons but I guess I'd have to pick anime as I often have more time for it plus it's easier on the go. (I know you can read manga on mobile as well but I greatly prefer to read a physical book). It's also easier to watch anime with someone else as reading a manga together would be more difficult.

I like manga though cause it's typically the original story. Anime is usually just an adaptation of it so naturally some things get changed. Sometimes a lot of things depending on the series and decade it was produced. Don't get me wrong some of the changes anime makes can be good but some can be pretty bad as well. In both cases though it's a deviation from the original manga story.

I'm more of a fan of anime when it comes to anything very action packed. Sure I can use my imagination to fill in the movement between still frames in a manga but I really do love seeing it fully animated. Things less actiony though I'm perfectly fine with reading as a manga.

Another thing I want to note is that I often like to compare different forms of media. So I will watch an anime both dubbed and subbed for example and will possibly even read the manga as well just to make comparisons. Obviously I only do this with a series I really love but I do enjoy making these kinds of comparisons.

Sailor Moon for example I've seen the original series dubbed (both the original 90's version and the recent redub), the final season I've seen subbed. I've also seen the dub of the reboot anime Sailor Moon Crystal. As well as I've read the Manga. I by far love the manga the most, then followed by the redub of the classic anime. Both of which are vastly different from each other by the way.

Back