• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Animal Crossing E3

I like how I didn't watch the E3 and expected nothing and still got disappointed. I'm moving on from Acnh. Imma start getting into Miitopia.
I second this, I got Miitopia for my birthday and I LOVE it so much, it's a lot of fun. Definitely needed when I'm getting closer and closer to having nothing left to do in ACNH for now, which also motivates me to want to pick up the first AC game

I second this, I got Miitopia for my birthday and I LOVE it so much, it's a lot of fun. Definitely needed when I'm getting closer and closer to having nothing left to do in ACNH for now, which also motivates me to want to pick up the first AC game
That's what I'm doing too. I haven't touched ACNH in a couple months now.

AC has never been trapped to the realm of reality. We shove sharks in our pockets.
Not to mention how leaves are literally how furniture appears (although I believe it's based on some sort of ancient Japanese mythology, which wouldn't surprise me).
Post automatically merged:

Bananas not being in the game also surprised me. I mean regardless if they were in past games or not, bananas are a well known and well liked fruit. This was an island afterall. Plus it would have been cool to have a visiting NPC Monkey who would buy your bananas or had something to do with making fruit smoothies. I mean, I know the cooking mechanic only exists in the Turkey Day event, but it would have been cool to be able to cook things for either decor, and/or to give to villagers to eat and drink to boost friendship points or maybe to even unlock other recipes or to be gifted special items you can't get any other way.
I think that was another large disappointment with this game. The cooking mechanic which is similar to the crafting one, was such a great idea and does exist but they didn't expand on it. Not even a little beyond Turkey Day.
edit typo
I didn't even realize until now that bananas weren't in New Horizons, but no they aren't, and that comes after how they were in New Leaf, which I thought was a nice addition after New Leaf had finally gotten its Western release in 2013...

I do wonder why they didn’t bring in the new fruit from NL. I loved the banana’s and Mangoes. If they had brought back tortimers island they could have brought back the NL fruit with it.
I’m still going to enjoy NH for what it is but no longer have any expectations to what the updates will have.
That's also true. Mangoes, persimmons, durians, and lemons were removed as well.

Anyways, I will add my thoughts:

Admittedly I didn't pay much attention to E3 this year because there just have been too many back-to-back disappointing years for me, plus Nintendo's focus has clearly been more on Directs than on E3, and it's been this way since at least 2011, I remember. Regardless, admittedly I wasn't terribly surprised that Nintendo has no major updates for New Horizons planned, what did surprise me is that they remained mum about the game entirely.

I don't think New Horizons is dead. In fact, I've been getting into the game more lately after having some appeal lost in the last several months, since I've decided to make some changes to my island I've never thought up before. (Let's face it, a good way to always spurn back up interest in Animal Crossing, this coming from a guy who has been playing it since City Folk in 2009, is to be creative, and features NH has like the terraforming only add more to this that seems to have kept increasing generally with each AC game Nintendo has come out with) The sad truth is that likely Nintendo just isn't going to be focusing as much on it from now on in the near, foreseeable future as they have in 2020 and in the first half of 2021. While, from what I understand, the Switch should have a pretty long life, at least by Nintendo standards (given how it's been out for over four years already), Nintendo does have newer games simply on their way. (At the same time, this comes with numerous disappointments, one game that got announced before NH was Metroid Prime 4, which got announced at E3 2017 just months after the Switch's release, although Nintendo said at this last E3 that they're working hard on the game)

Long story short, I don't think Nintendo should be shielded from criticism per se, but looking at this matter with NH does require some nuance. We shouldn't be so surprised about certain moves. Nonetheless, it's still disappointing (even with my already low expectations as they are), as in my opinion, there are a lot of features that were added in New Leaf, and arguably even in AC games before that, that we ended up taking for granted that NH ended up lacking.

I hate to sound so tasteless saying this though, but we better buckle up for a long ride of things being this way, though, with Nintendo. It was several years between NL and NH's releases (as NL came out in Japan in 2012, while NH's worldwide release was just last year, in 2020), and given how the only time Nintendo released a main series Animal Crossing game on the same console was + and e+ for Japan only (and really e+ only came out because Nintendo's headquarters back in Japan were so impressed at the translation into English Nintendo of America did of + into the Western Animal Crossing game we got on the GameCube here) on the GCN. (There was the cancelled Animal Crossing 2 that was supposed to come out back around 2004, but that's besides the point, and a lot of people say it was likely just going to be a localized version of e+ anyway, as e+'s release in Japan the previous year, in 2003, added a lot of features on its own) My point is that it's going to likely be a long time again until the next main series AC game comes out, and it would be on whatever console Nintendo makes after the Switch. At the same time, that goes to show that for Nintendo to abandon NH entirely in say, a year or two, would be completely irrational of them.

Last edited:
Because, like I said, when talking about certain NPCS, it adds to the wholesomeness and charm of the game. It helps immerse you further in the animal crossing world to have a variety of characters and shops. Adding items to the game over adding charming NPCs makes a pretty big difference in the game and at a point can make New Horizons feel hollow, as people have pointed out quite a lot with New Horizons.

Also, I am not denying that New Horizons added new things and I appreciate that a lot. That does not mean it has more content than previous games at all. I don't have the time or energy to list all the content new leaf has over new horizons but I am sure you can search the forum and find someone who made a list.
I know the content new leaf had. I played the game for years on and off. I'm no stranger to it. But it really did not have lots of content.

It was the same game we all know and love at it's core like every main entry. And the core is very good so of course new leaf was good to.

But charm is not content. It can and does increase the enjoyment for when you have stuff to do, but if you have run out of stuff to do in the game, no amount of charm will change that. (Plus I find the game very charming already)

I suppose if you're not so big on decoration and crafting so want to ignore that aspect entirely then new horizons would hold less for you. But that's just what this entry of the game is.

The way I see it is, you're complaining that we now have less because before you had a packet of skittles. That had lots of tiny sweets in.
And you got 1 steak in it's place.

But because 1 is the smaller number... it's being treated as if there is less.

Now I'm not saying that these are things I would be unhappy to see. I think it could be cool and I'm not going to be against it.

But I strongly believe that the value these will give to players is very small.

I cant remember who said it, but someone mentioned about how it would be better to get brand new content instead of bringing back old stuff. And I completely agree.

I dont know what I would want to see in the game, but if they give us something new, I would want want see something that expands the amount of time you can put into the game. And not just by minutes.

Sort of like when diving was added to the series.

Not surprised ACNH didn't get mentioned. There was some good stuff for Nintendo's presentation. I don't think I'll end up getting any of the games but the Mario Party looks nice for longtime fans of the series and it's cool to see another WarioWare come out.

I'm waiting on updates in order to get back into the game again. The fireworks show was my favorite event (went all 5 Sundays last year with a friend) so I'll most likely be playing that and am hoping for at least a couple new items related to it. We'll see.

I guess I have pretty low expectations about updates at this point so I'm just focusing my time on other things in my life until there's something to get me excited again.

Also I'll be honest as much as I am more of a fan of older games and NL in particular I don't really care that much if Brewster comes back lol. It'd definitely be a nice, new atmosphere for the game and could be fun over WiFi but it's not really something I go back to when I play NL anyways. It'd appreciate it though if K.K. stopped blocking the door to RS each week and moved over there though haha

For me I'd really like to see more hands-on mini games be added like the island tours. I had a lot of fun earning medals and playing over WiFi with those and I will turn the game back on just for them. Oh, and gyroids would make the game a bit more charming in my opinion.

Last edited:
It'd appreciate it though if K.K. stopped blocking the door to RS each week and moved over there though haha
I dont mind him being in front of the door, but if they move him, I hope he shows up later in the day so that my stupid villagers won't sit down listening to him all day making it impossible to give them their daily gift without turning the stupid game off! XD

I dont mind him being in front of the door, but if they move him, I hope he shows up later in the day so that my stupid villagers won't sit down listening to him all day making it impossible to give them their daily gift without turning the stupid game off! XD
That's true, plus I get that having him start at 6 pm makes it easier to catch him but personally I liked having to wait until 8 pm in past games and make my schedule work for him

Doug Bowser (NoA president) gave a statement on ACNH being missing from E3:

“While we didn’t talk about it, we absolutely have plans going forward to ensure the 33 million people who have islands out there have new and fun activities to engage with. Look for more to come.”

I mean it’s good they’re taking note, but it’s nothing we haven’t heard already 🤷🏻‍♂️

From an interview today with Doug Bowser:

“While we didn’t talk about it [during the E3 Nintendo Direct], we absolutely have plans going forward to ensure the 33 million people who have islands out there have new and fun activities to engage with,” Bowser says. “Look for more to come.”

EDIT: Ninja'd

I'm going to take this as a good sign

We can see from the datamines they have been actively working on things, we just have to be patient for it. What we will actually get I dont know. But the game isn't over yet.

And if you don't like playing while you wait, there are lots of other great games out there.
A game having people playing for over year is incredible, so it's okay to move on from it until something may strike your interest in it again

It’s disappointing that Nintendo didn’t show anything for ACNH but I don’t know why people are all doom and gloom about it as if it spells the end of support for the game. Maybe they just didn’t have anything to show yet. Besides, E3 stopped being important to Nintendo when they started doing Directs, which I think is much better since big announcements can happen at any time. While there may or may not be a big update coming, the interview with Doug Bowser and the fact that we have precedent with Welcome Amiibo coming years after the release of New Leaf still give me hope that something might be coming down the line.

I am still remaining skeptical. If he means that "more to come" is suppose to mean more small updates and seasonal items then I am not going to even bother. I would like to be wrong but I will remain skeptic.

Well they basically said exactly this at the end of the E3 Direct ... "We are diligently continuing development on a number of other games we didn't show today." People seem to have missed that ... Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean nothing is happening. Anyway, E3 is not the place for NH update news, Twitter is, at least going by the last year ...

It is good that they said something! What are the chances for something dropping in July?
I would think they would have to at least have a small update at the end of July. They need to update for the fireworks in August. Not sure if they would have anything more then that and some seasonal items.

I'm glad they mentioned ACNH, but it'd be nice if they could be a bit more clear regarding the scale of what they're adding as I feel the vagueness and uncertainty of the updates is what's been causing fans frustration in the first place. Not sure if to expect a few minor event changes that don't really add much in the long run or something that would be a game changer 🤔

ACNH is the only main title we'll be getting for probably another 5-8 years, so it's understandable why fans would be worried considering these updates will determine whether the community will lose interest in the game or not.

Just finished watching it *ahem more like just skimming through it all just to get to the stuff I actually care about lol* and honestly all I cared about was what they were going to show 'n' tell for BotW 2. New areas to visit and explore, new abilities, a little bit of insight to the story... New enemy types?? Yes! Just what I was hoping for! Not just Bokoblins and Moblins all over the place. I'm hoping some old and classic enemies make a return as well, such as Tektites and Deku Babas.

To Nintendo, Animal Crossing is pretty much on rock bottom on their to-do list. They'll get around it when they feeeeeel like it.

Zelda is what people really wanted. Oh, and SSBU and Metroid. And Mario Party. And Splatoon.
....I was hoping for a lil MK 9 too ;)

Back