• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Animal Crossing E3

I'd be fine with them not bringing back old features, but replacing them with something else, but they mostly just took old features away and didn't do that. There is crafting, terraforming, pumpkins, and possibly a few other things that are escaping my mind at the moment, but it's still not a lot all things considered.

It's so wild to see all the comments about how Animal Crossing (and New Horizons) is left behind, forgotten or something by Nintendo. Like, so out of reality. The franchise has:

Received "main" entries on all the current platforms sans the Wii U (which may have been a blessing in disguise) since like N64- and all of them have had some sort of critical acclaim and great sales, with CF possibly being the only outsider.
Had 2 spin-offs released on the previous gen of platforms.
Had a whole line of amiibo dedicated to it (which bombed spectacularly).
The previous "main" entry received a huge semi-paid update 4 years down the line.
The latest entry is receiving updates every other month, this year so far has received 4 updates.
A mobile spin-off constantly supported and updated.
Limited edition consoles dedicated.

Most franchises on the world would kill to have support like this.

Different franchises work on different ways, each one needs different marketing and care. Smash is featured everywhere because the Fighter's Pass needs to be advertised and the whole franchise is ripe for hype and the like, specially the new characters- that's the bread and butter. That's why Smash is in every other direct, it needs to sell the pass and generate buzz. AC is probaby a franchise that doesn't need to be featured on directs because the announcements of updates can be done via the twitter account and probably, large parts of the userbase aren't the kind to be constantly on the wait for internet-related news and just wait until the system tells them they need an update.

And it does matter if the content that older games had that did not get brought to new horizons adds hours of playtime. Because if it doesn't, then why even care about it?

Because, like I said, when talking about certain NPCS, it adds to the wholesomeness and charm of the game. It helps immerse you further in the animal crossing world to have a variety of characters and shops. Adding items to the game over adding charming NPCs makes a pretty big difference in the game and at a point can make New Horizons feel hollow, as people have pointed out quite a lot with New Horizons.

Also, I am not denying that New Horizons added new things and I appreciate that a lot. That does not mean it has more content than previous games at all. I don't have the time or energy to list all the content new leaf has over new horizons but I am sure you can search the forum and find someone who made a list.

I'm truly happy for everyone who liked the Direct and who is interested in the games that were talked about. But for me personally the whole thing was super meh.

I'm really looking forward to BOTW2 of course, but other than that the only other thing that interested me at all was Monster Hunter Stories 2. The rest of the Direct was super boring to me.

I didn't expect much for ACNH, but even a tiny teaser would have been nice. Heck, even a picture of Tortimer, Brewster, Gracie, and any other NPC with question marks on it and no writing would have satisfied me, lol.

I also wanted to see Pokémon, Donkey Kong, or a brand new IP that looked interesting.

Not going to lie, it is kind of surprising that some of the more tropical fruit did not return for a tropical themed island.

The island in NH is a temperate island, not a tropical island. Tropical islands dont get snow.

In NL, the tropical fruits were imported from Tortimer Island, which is tropical and does not experience snow or seasonal changes.

I know many people are going to hate for this and bash me, but I am just going to say what I am going to say on this thread, because I don't care anymore.

Look enough with the "hopes" and "speculations" just face the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about this game. If they did care they would've said something about the future of New Horizons in a trailer, but instead they gave us small updates to existing events that we've played already and just more new seasonal items. The game is dead now, they had their chance to show what they have working on and they didn't show so why should we care if they don't care about what the fans want?

Time and time I always heard from the community "Oh just be patient" and "Oh maybe it will come soon" Its time to stop lying to yourself, this game is not going to get the update we all want to see. Nintendo is a business by the end of the day and they will make money. They will probably give an update to this game in the future but by then many people will have moved on from then. Look what happened to Super Mario Party, that game was dead after there was no Online Play and then this year 3 years later they added it in.

Nintendo is a strange company because they just do things that they think benefits them and yet they don't care what we say and what we wanted to see improve in their games. Right now I am done speculating, I am done hoping for more, and I am done with this game. I am just going to play other games. Maybe I will start caring if Nintendo actually puts out an update to make up for it, but that is just wishful thinking. Instead of wasting my time speculating I am just going to put the game down and move on.

The island in NH is a temperate island, not a tropical island. Tropical islands dont get snow.

In NL, the tropical fruits were imported from Tortimer Island, which is tropical and does not experience snow or seasonal changes.
then explain the coconuts and palm trees 🤨 🧐

then explain the coconuts and palm trees 🤨 🧐

New Leaf wasn’t tropical and also had palm trees and coconuts (and bananas). I don’t think that is a deciding factor in a game where realism is out the window and your neighbours are all animals 😂

EDIT: apparently there are even palm trees that withstand the cold. They’re called Hardy Palms. So palm trees really don’t mean anything.

I know many people are going to hate for this and bash me, but I am just going to say what I am going to say on this thread, because I don't care anymore.

Look enough with the "hopes" and "speculations" just face the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about this game. If they did care they would've said something about the future of New Horizons in a trailer, but instead they gave us small updates to existing events that we've played already and just more new seasonal items. The game is dead now, they had their chance to show what they have working on and they didn't show so why should we care if they don't care about what the fans want?

Time and time I always heard from the community "Oh just be patient" and "Oh maybe it will come soon" Its time to stop lying to yourself, this game is not going to get the update we all want to see. Nintendo is a business by the end of the day and they will make money. They will probably give an update to this game in the future but by then many people will have moved on from then. Look what happened to Super Mario Party, that game was dead after there was no Online Play and then this year 3 years later they added it in.

Nintendo is a strange company because they just do things that they think benefits them and yet they don't care what we say and what we wanted to see improve in their games. Right now I am done speculating, I am done hoping for more, and I am done with this game. I am just going to play other games. Maybe I will start caring if Nintendo actually puts out an update to make up for it, but that is just wishful thinking. Instead of wasting my time speculating I am just going to put the game down and move on.

People don’t hate your opinions. People just get tired of seeing and reading the same thing everywhere. It’d be different if there was mix of positivity with constructive criticism. I’m not saying how you feel is invalid, but you have to try to read the mood even if it is hard (I have asperger’s so I understand it is difficult).

Time and time I always heard from the community "Oh just be patient" and "Oh maybe it will come soon" Its time to stop lying to yourself, this game is not going to get the update we all want to see. Nintendo is a business by the end of the day and they will make money. They will probably give an update to this game in the future but by then many people will have moved on from then.
Except that New Leaf got that huge Welcome Amiibo update many years after the main game was released. I still have hope for a similar update. I'm disappointed by E3 but the game has only been out for a year - I think it's viable to still have hopes for future content! It will bring people back to the game, just like the WA update brought me back to NL

I know some plants and trees cannont survive in colder climates. The ones in NL shouldn't have survived during winter either, but they have. I am growing an avacado plant by seed and it is about 2 years old now. I bring it in every year, but there's going to be a time when I just have to let it die (when it gets too big) and that's disheartening.

AC has never been trapped to the realm of reality. We shove sharks in our pockets. I just find it odd that even bananas did not make it back for a island theme. At the very least, I expected bananas when the game first came out. I just assumed my tropical fruit was coconuts and I needed to find someone with bananas.

Also about the few posts above mine, I have heard that Nintendo is mostly owned by a bunch of shareholders now. So they're always going to see money first. Which is probably why it seems Nintendo has taken a step away from being the old chummy company we once knew (due to it once being operated/owned by the designers/creators,...envisioners. (Yeah that's a word)

Roxas did bring up a point that made me think. Most of the other trailers would end showing us when to expect the next update and or what it could entail. They stopped that after the Mario update (and or Sanrio) and have went radio silence. So that does make me curious if they're done or not.

I don't think people hate your opinions, it's just some people think you only come here to talk bad about the game. I know that's not all you do, but that's just them. Just try to ignore them if you think that they only see the bad in you.
Also to another post which I forgot who said it, but it would be nice to have an option to have a tropical island and add mangos and other tropical fruits for those islands

I know some plants and trees cannont survive in colder climates. The ones in NL shouldn't have survived during winter either, but they have. I am growing an avacado plant by seed and it is about 2 years old now. I bring it in every year, but there's going to be a time when I just have to let it die (when it gets too big) and that's disheartening.

AC has never been trapped to the realm of reality. We shove sharks in our pockets. I just find it odd that even bananas did not make it back for a island theme. At the very least, I expected bananas when the game first came out. I just assumed my tropical fruit was coconuts and I needed to find someone with bananas.

Also about the few posts above mine, I have heard that Nintendo is mostly owned by a bunch of shareholders now. So they're always going to see money first. Which is probably why it seems Nintendo has taken a step away from being the old chummy company we once knew (due to it once being operated/owned by the designers/creators,...envisioners. (Yeah that's a word)

Roxas did bring up a point that made me think. Most of the other trailers would end showing us when to expect the next update and or what it could entail. They stopped that after the Mario update (and or Sanrio) and have went radio silence. So that does make me curious if they're done or not.

Bananas not being in the game also surprised me. I mean regardless if they were in past games or not, bananas are a well known and well liked fruit. This was an island afterall. Plus it would have been cool to have a visiting NPC Monkey who would buy your bananas or had something to do with making fruit smoothies. I mean, I know the cooking mechanic only exists in the Turkey Day event, but it would have been cool to be able to cook things for either decor, and/or to give to villagers to eat and drink to boost friendship points or maybe to even unlock other recipes or to be gifted special items you can't get any other way.
I think that was another large disappointment with this game. The cooking mechanic which is similar to the crafting one, was such a great idea and does exist but they didn't expand on it. Not even a little beyond Turkey Day.
edit typo

editing, now that I think about it more, even if you only get gifted one unique item per villager by feeding them something that they like, that alone would be incentive for people to try to rotate through villagers considering there are over 300. Maybe the villager could give a clue to what their favorite food is.

Last edited:
Pessimism is okay. But optimism is also okay. The silence and drought does not necessarily equate to the game being "ignored", "forgotten", or "Nintendo being done with it". If that is not what you think, then okay. If it is, then okay. Let people, like me, who are still hopeful about the game stay hopeful.

...this game is not going to get the update we all want to see.
While I disagree that the game not appearing at E3 means that Nintendo doesn't care about the game, I think you hit the nail on the head with this remark.

I personally feel most people have unrealistically high expectations. There are people who feel as if they are owed things because enough people within the community agree with them that something should exist or be changed - but that's not how things work on the business end of it. From Nintendo's perspective it is their job to attend to the needs rather than the wants. For example, if there is a glitch, implementing a fix for that is a 'need' and Nintendo owes it to the community to get it done as soon as possible. Fans asking for a new feature, or an existing unbroken feature to be changed, would be 'wants' and Nintendo doesn't owe the community these quickly or even at all. If they are addressed they won't be priority. Nintendo will have already planned what content they want to introduce and will have a timeline in place to release it. These will be set in stone by the higher-ups with internal deadlines that must be met. No amount of antisocial behaviour from the fanbase is going to change that.

@MiniPocketWorld Oh dang, that would be so awesome. And it could had been a cool way to get the requirements/prerequisites for some kind of building upgrade. Like you make enough different foods or drinks and some kind of restaurant and or cafe could come out of it.

I don’t think the game is dead but I do agree with you about the updates. I don’t see them bringing in anything new. It will just be them adding in the holidays and some new items.

I do wonder why they didn’t bring in the new fruit from NL. I loved the banana’s and Mangoes. If they had brought back tortimers island they could have brought back the NL fruit with it.
I’m still going to enjoy NH for what it is but no longer have any expectations to what the updates will have.

@azurill I mean, they didn't even bother to give the tools a meter gauge of any kind to indicate when they're going to break. The majority of tools this time are all breakable, but when it was just the ax in NL, they gave us a gauge by showing how cracked the ax was. They didn't even do that with this game for any of them.

Even slight QoL updates like that would be appreciated because a good bulk of the game in the beginning is breaking tools. I still occasionally break tools, but not as much as I did when I had to build from the ground up.

@azurill I mean, they didn't even bother to give the tools a meter gauge of any kind to indicate when they're going to break. The majority of tools this time are all breakable, but when it was just the ax in NL, they gave us a gauge by showing how cracked the ax was. They didn't even do that with this game for any of them.

Even slight QoL updates like that would be appreciated because a good bulk of the game in the beginning is breaking tools. I still occasionally break tools, but not as much as I did when I had to build from the ground up.
I would have loved if the tools had a gauge for telling when a tool would break. I don’t understand them allowing golden tools to break. I can see the beginning tools breaking but the gold tools would have felt like a better reward if they didn’t break.

@MiniPocketWorld Oh dang, that would be so awesome. And it could had been a cool way to get the requirements/prerequisites for some kind of building upgrade. Like you make enough different foods or drinks and some kind of restaurant and or cafe could come out of it.

you know, speaking of cafe... lol there is that famous pigeon that many are still wanting...

The gauge would be a wonderful thing. Especially since we craft the tools as it is. It can give the opportunity to repair them before they bust in our faces. especially since there is a lack of the reward of an unbreakable tool set...
It would have also been cool to repair craft-able items for villagers as a quest thing to boost friendship. That is an extra thing though so I can't be down about that unlike the cooking mechanic which does exist.
I think if I remember right, there is a consistent number of times before the tools break, so I suppose we have that going for us. They could have made it random. Especially in the beginning/flimsy tools.

Back