• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

An analysis of New Horizons' furniture

I knew there were definitely differences across NH and NL in terms of furniture being updated/cut/added, but this was actually a really interesting way to see it all put across - thank you for putting all this information together! I hadn't really considered it before but it is interesting how there is obviously a shift in furniture towards it being able to be placed both inside and outside with it making sense. I suppose there is still time for NH to catch up a bit in terms of number of orderable furniture items compared to NL, since the game has only been out for not quite a year, but with each update this does seem more likely. With many other people I'm sure I can only hope that some day some of the pocket camp items get added - I'm not an active player but I can appreciate just how lovely some of those items are!
Overall I do prefer a lot of the execution of NH furniture - for example the halloween/turkey day items, as they seem less 'novelty' and more 'could actually use this in my house without it being a themed room'.

Thanks for the replies.

This made perfect sense to me, and I thought I'd share my thread to help illustrate (you may quote any of my images that's fine)

I feel like the pros of furniture sets are that it's very easy to create a unique vibe. You can see it in my New Horizons Mermaid room, and in some of my New Leaf rooms. But I feel like with a lot of effort I was able to create even more unique looks? I feel like everyone's houses look more creative and nicer in New Horizons but that might just be me.
Oh thanks for the link. I think your creativity illustrates the kind of variety the game has as of now. Well, yours and all the great photos and threads some people have shared, like the recent "Fun with Toys" by @Darkina . I think this showcases that there is lots of variety and uniqueness to be found on the game.

Thank you for this comprehensive report! It really illustrates some of the frustration that players that have played NL have about the lack of furniture sets. I love the upgrades for holiday sets like the Turkey Day/Harvest festival and Halloween but I don't think it's enough to compensate for the loss of the other furniture sets.

I miss the mini fossil sets and music box clams too. I'm starting to think they didn't have enough time to create new assets to the game? I can't think of another reason on why so many items are missing.
We'll probably never know the reason for most of the cuts, but it's safe to assume that they didn't have enough time. Everything on the game was mostly made from scratch, from villagers to furniture, so as some people have noted, developers prioritised some items instead.

Oh thanks for the link. I think your creativity illustrates the kind of variety the game has as of now. Well, yours and all the great photos and threads some people have shared, like the recent "Fun with Toys" by @Darkina . I think this showcases that there is lots of variety and uniqueness to be found on the game.

You’re very welcome! I made that thread on purpose after I finished decorating because personally I found that despite having less variety in individual items, the rooms themselves looked more distinct, and I think that’s for several reasons:
- Wallpapers, flooring and rugs. These do so much for a room design and a room theme
- Colour variations, white rattan, brown imperial, it all does a lot for a general theme of a room
- Unique items: shell set and pirate set come to mind for my first room, but there are many others. Putting some of the outdoor items inside adds a lot to rooms in my opinion.

You’ve inspired me to make a new thread idea, thank you!

This is a great post, and sums the issue up well. One thing I'd like to add is that in NH we get an entire island to decorate vs being limited to house interiors in NL. ...
The island in ACNH gives us about 50x as much decorating space than in ACNL (not including ACNH house interiors or beaches), and with a decreased furniture selection, players are likely to repeat items more than once, which is upsetting to many.
*disclaimer- my math could be wrong lol
Even if your math is wrong, which it seems like it isn't, this is a really excellent point I had no idea how to articulate. With more space, we theoretically should get more things to put in that space.

This made perfect sense to me, and I thought I'd share my thread to help illustrate
This is amazing work, thank you for sharing it here! I think it pairs with this thread perfectly! I see that while NH has more cohesion between all its pieces, it's more of a necessity than a bonus, because we simply have less to work with. While I appreciate the ~vibe~ of the NH houses, I can't help but miss the cozy lived-in vibes that NL could provide. Not to mention the 4 items on a table thing, UGH.

Apologies for the bump, but the new update trailer has brought some new items. And tools, but I haven't kept track of the tools. Does the Sparkling Cider and the beans cover the same function as food furniture? :ROFLMAO:

We can see the following:

*Drums
*Banners
*Balloons
*Stalls
*Arched banners
*Floor thingie
*Floor lights
*Parasol stuck on the ground
*Little cannons of confetti I guess
*Mr. Resetti figurine
*Red packet
*Bokjumeoni
*Chinese couplet
*Chocolate Box
*Heart Bouquet

So, more or less 15 furniture items which is on par with previous updates. I'll also update the images on the OP with my own screenshots for NH. If anyone has NL and can help me with a picture for that game, I'll truly appreciate it.

I'll also add a pic comparison between the Mushroom series, as they are fun.

Last edited:
I can't sit on a banner!
And we have a crapload of floor lights! O_O
We have balloons already!

I want REAL furniture, not this utter garbage we keep getting.

Almost done with it anyway.

They couldn't even be bothered to give us mannequins back.
They are absolutely horrid and do not care about the fans.

At least they added the Resetti figure from NL that was available from Resetti's RV.
He also had pizza and a heap of other great items.

Over & out.

Last edited:
I'll also add a pic comparison between the Mushroom series, as they are fun.

If you're going to compare furniture series from both games, I think it would be nice to find pictures where both sets are either lined up side-by-side or used in furnishing a house. I think it's a little bit unfair if only the NH stuff is shown lovingly displayed while the NL stuff is just set up in a line. One of the biggest strengths of the NL furniture sets, IMO, is how nice it can look not only on its own, but also when placed with other thematically appropriate items to make a complete room. That strength just can't be showcased in a picture of the furniture pieces placed side-by-side.

I didn't really decorate my house in nl per se. i just out a different furniture set in each room. This time I decided I wanted to try making my house like a real house with bedroom ,bathroom ,kitchen etc. I really like how it turned out but the process was very frustrating at times. My main issue was finding the right walls/floors. This was when I noticed that there werent as many as I thought, a lot were color variants of the same wall/floor. Nothing wrong with that I just feel like they should have also added a larger variety and not just color variants. I too would like more options of actual furniture(beds,couches etc). We dont have near as many furniture sets this time(so far) so hopefully that will change. Also definitely need more exterior options cause again same thing just variations in color.

Thanks for all this data. It proves my theory that we simply don't have as much in NH. I have been playing since launch and still haven't decorated the interior of my home because the full sets of furniture are so limited. Plus other simple items are missing such as a dryer to go with the washer.

If you're going to compare furniture series from both games, I think it would be nice to find pictures where both sets are either lined up side-by-side or used in furnishing a house. I think it's a little bit unfair if only the NH stuff is shown lovingly displayed while the NL stuff is just set up in a line. One of the biggest strengths of the NL furniture sets, IMO, is how nice it can look not only on its own, but also when placed with other thematically appropriate items to make a complete room. That strength just can't be showcased in a picture of the furniture pieces placed side-by-side.
I'm not looking for the biggest strenghts of a furniture set because it's highly subjective to say what is a strenght and what is a weakness for example, and the point of the pic comparisons is to compare just the same sets to appreciate the differences; not the sets and whatever everyone finds that suits it better. How nice or not nice a furniture piece can look is almost entirely on the eye of the beholder- you can see that some people think the furniture from the upcoming Pavé set is trash while others think it's amazing.

The pic comparisons are not meant to show that x game is better than the other, just to show the differences of focus between games.

I already asked for help in order to get better pictures of the New Leaf sets and I can't for my life find great pictures that display the furniture set alone and even mentioned it on my OP. If you happen to know of a good place to find the images, please tell me and I'll be very grateful :)

By the way, I don't think that was your intention but thanks for the comment of the NH pictures. I spent the other night at Photopia trying to display the furniture sets and it was harder than I originally thought haha

I didn't really decorate my house in nl per se. i just out a different furniture set in each room. This time I decided I wanted to try making my house like a real house with bedroom ,bathroom ,kitchen etc. I really like how it turned out but the process was very frustrating at times. My main issue was finding the right walls/floors. This was when I noticed that there werent as many as I thought, a lot were color variants of the same wall/floor. Nothing wrong with that I just feel like they should have also added a larger variety and not just color variants. I too would like more options of actual furniture(beds,couches etc). We dont have near as many furniture sets this time(so far) so hopefully that will change. Also definitely need more exterior options cause again same thing just variations in color.
I actually haven't tackled the wallpaper and flooring options to see the differences. I just know that NH has around 120 wallpapers more and 20 flooring more (some of which are animated). There are also 140 rugs. I don't know if those 140+ extra items are just color variations, but I think it's safe to say there are more options and varierty in general.

Yes but the wallpaper and flooring is, IMO, poor quality compared to NL.

There are so many walls and floors I really miss from older AC titles.

NH walls and flooring look like mass produced, with (drum roll) color variations.

Gimme back the tartan rug, plush and fancy carpet over the NH stuff any day.

Last edited:
great analysis. thank you for putting this together! i appreciate the numbers for furniture, PWPs, and craftables - it puts things into perspective. the numbers in NH aren't as bad as i thought. i thought NH lacked furniture compared to NL, but seeing your great point about how there is a focus on versatile furniture for both indoors and outdoors, made me realize that it's just lacking what i prefer (my favorite NL sets, abundant food items, and my favorite PWPs). i also prefer interior design to exterior decorating. i'm satisfied with NH, but i really take issue with how certain furniture items were cut. i can't imagine why the developers would cut items unless it was a collab, and i think many of them weren't a collab.

When I found out that we would be able to put furniture outside, I was so excited and thought about items from New Leaf and assumed they would be in Horizons. I was planning on having corn fields, and using piggy banks for a farm. I wanted a bbq and would use the covered wagon, tall cactus and tumble weed. We even had full sized cars you could get with amiibo. I was going to have a drive in theatre.

With that said. I love that we got so many new items. I love the turkey day furniture, toys, festive items, etc. Every event is a surprise with New items we haven't had in past a.c. games. I have been very disappointed that they haven't given us very much indoor furniture and only a few sofas, but surprisingly I'm seeing players create more unique rooms. I'm also having a lot of fun being more creative with my rooms.

I was disappointed about the pave items at first, because I really want more indoor furniture, but I'm getting excited thinking about where I'm going to put them. I redecorated an area today that's ready for the new items. I think it's going to make that area fun and colorful.

like what a lot of others have been saying, i think the re-addition of the old furniture, plus more furniture like they've already been doing through diys and seasonal events, could be great! i do think there's an emphasis on "realistic" furniture in this game compared to the others, which i really appreciate, but i do miss a lot of the more themed or quirky stuff that was in the old games. in general though, i think just expanding the already huge variety of furniture gives the game so many more possibilities that every player can appreciate.

i also do wish that we had more pwps in acnh like we had in acnl. some of them are so cute and i wonder why they didn't bring them back in some way :< oh, and more arches please!

this is a great source for acnl room pictures ^^ just go to tagged/links, pick the furniture set you want and scroll, there’s usually at least one person who has just the furniture set with a few knickknacks

Updated with the 1.7 furniture. Mario crossover and new seasonal celebrations are bringing around 17 new furniture items added, which will bring us over the 100 mark.

The Mario set comes pretty similar to the one present on New Leaf, trading the Fire Bar, Yoshi Egg and Bill Blaster for the Mushroom platforms, the floating block and the Thwomp. I have to wonder if the Fire Bar and Bill Blaster proved to be tricky to implement on an island wide setting (like, how far would the Bullet Bill fly?) and that's why decided to go for a more direct approach with the replacements. I don't know if the Yoshi Egg was replaced because it was too similar to the Bunny Day Lamp, but it's sad to see it go.

Other items seem to work like NL while others have added/improved interactions (if the video I saw of someone using the NL furniture is right):

*The Coin now disappears, as if being collected by Mario. It appears later.
*The ? Block now floats on the air and has an animation where the player runs below it and a "coin is collected".
*The Super Star now spins, same as the Shell.
*The Flagpole changes to a Mario flag "upon completion of the level".
*The Pipe has ditched the Piranha Plant (that's sad) to feature a warp mechanic.

I wonder if there other tidbits or if they can be customised (I don't think they'll be).

Looking forward, I plan to focus and expand on some things like the "tricky" items mentioned, in order to provide more insight. But I don't know if I'll finish doing it, there are too many items haha

Yep. Fifteen of the Mario items are clothing...
Yes, the Mario item set features around 14 furniture items, 4 home interior design items and 15 clothes for a total of 38 items but I don't know how the number of clothing relates to the furniture. Like said on previous posts, clothing items are not counted on the totals of the thread.

Still, no decent furniture.

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick to death of the double sofa, that is really the simple red sofa from NL and WW.

Still, no decent furniture.

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick to death of the double sofa, that is really the simple red sofa from NL and WW.
I have to admit you are completely right about the sofas, the selection is really bad. Luckily in my house all I needed was the log sofa (was going for a nautical theme and birch looks like driftwood), the mermaid sofa (nautical yay xD) and... yes the double sofa for my study. That really is the only normal sofa in the game

Back