• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

An analysis of New Horizons' furniture

RollingAntony

Bells
Dreamy Bear Plush
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Wallopoid
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
Hello everyone! One of the most common topics about New Horizons revolve around its furniture and how it compares to previous entries of the franchise. Curious by nature, I decided to try to make a comprehensive analysis of the amount, implementation and overall focus of the furniture on the latest AC game. To do this, I’m making some comparisons with New Leaf, the direct predecessor and if I’m not mistaken, the game with the biggest amount of furniture on the series.

I’m dividing the analysis on different sections in order to get the best overall picture and please note that I’m not taking the upcoming (1.9) update in account. Edit: I have updated the numbers with the 1.9 update.

Intro
There's also the definition of “furniture” which is anything on the games that is not considered a tool, usable or any other category like art, bushes, fences, clothes, etc. This is important to note because NH made it possible to decorate every single inch of the environment (and with great graphics) which makes some items usable for decorating, like pieces of artwork. However, I’m focusing on the common furniture people are used to… use.

NL had PWP, some of which were retooled into furniture- but since the PWP have stricter limitations, they are not considered for NL totals, but the corresponding NH items are. We’re also not comparing the customisations options of both games, which are vastly on NH’s favor. Wallpaper and flooring (and rugs for NH) are also out, as they would heavily favor NH with 288 more items than NL. So without further ado:

Numbers - The hottest topic
It’s common to see statements such as “NH has a low amount of furniture”, “There are barely any options” or similar. Let’s see the total numbers of both games, with corresponding milestones.

I used both MoriDB and Nook Plaza as references for the numbers.

Furniture
New Horizons
New Leaf
Difference
Launch
1025​
1271​
-246​
Updates
164​
493​
-329​
Total

Right off the bat, we can see that NL has an advantage at launch of 246 extra furniture items, which is kind of a considerable amount. However, NH still had more than one thousand furniture items to choose from, which is a very good amount. We’ll go into a bit of detail about the missing items later.

The next thing to note is that NH is slowly adding furniture, and within the first year of the game has already added 164 new pieces. On the other hand, NL had a massive update with almost 500 extra items but it came until its fourth year. It’s kind of unfair to compare base NH with amiibo’d NL, at least until four years have passed for the former. We don’t know for sure the plans for the newest game, especially considering that the sales expectations have already been blasted to oblivion, and although we have reached the point where no major events are left to be added, Nintendo has said that to keep watching for news. What that means is anyone guess.

Edit: As we enter the second year of the game, NH has 82 furniture items less than NL at the same time.

Overall, yeah. The number don’t lie and NL has many more items than NH, but the relevant comparisons show that the difference may not be as big as some of the opinions floating around seem to paint. However, there is another thing that may contribute to the feeling of “NH has no items” and is the following table:

Furniture
New Horizons
New Leaf
Difference
Orderable
445​
922​
-47​
Craftable
393​
0​
393​

Due to the crafting mechanic introduced, the number of furniture found within Nook’s Cranny (which fits the criteria of “orderable”) is drastically reduced- by 500! So while people could find many different items for a long time on the shop, they now have to do it themselves. The crafting offers many advantages, because you can make it anytime, anywhere but it paints another light on why people may find the furniture number of NH appalling.

Edit: For informative purposes, I’ve added the following table comparing PWP (NL) and the equivalent PWP things (NH) not counted already:

“PWP” New Horizons
PWP New Leaf
Difference
38​
87​
-49​

Like previously said, PWP have tons of limitations, while NH equivalents have only 2, the amount of bridges and inclines. This gap will only close if new bridges, inclines or fences are released; because if old PWP get repurposed, they will be added to the first count.

And now we go into another topic that is key:

Focus - Exterior decorating > Interior design sets
Although it’s not explicitly told by the developers, the focus of many furniture items has been shifted to decorating outdoors. While NL offered tons of options for decorating your house, NH has to offer options to decorate your whole island. That means that the furniture on the game must be able to function both inside and outside of your house, even if some items (like a kitchen scale) is better suited for your home and some items are fit to be placed outside (like a lighthouse). We know their philosophy is that users feel comfortable using furniture wherever they like, so they took the time to ensure that any item is able to fit on your home.

Previous Animal Crossing games had tons of furniture items allocated within “sets” which commonly featured common household items- a chair, table, lamp, bed, TV, dresser, clock, etc. However, it’s clear that most of these items won’t be suited for outdoor decorating and that’s the focus of NH. So what happens? Well, a great example is this:

SpookySeries.JPG

141676940_3785204904880605_1499860764560009340_o.jpg

The Spooky Series is present on both games, but they are night and day. NL had the standard items with a color scheme and motif related to the event. There is nothing really out there; it’s the standard “set” furniture with a purple/orange coat of paint and Jack’s face slapped on. On the other side, NH has a jack o’lantern, a weird lamp, an arch, a scarecrow, a carriage, etc.

Edit: With Turkey Day over, another pic comparison is fun:

bc014cde1dba5fbfcff8ecfe7c6c60483403ddd7r1-1068-640v2_hq.jpg

141938652_3785204931547269_5597276995587082707_o.jpg

Another complete makeover! Featuring table settings, fireplace and wheat decorations, the NH sets itself apart from the Harvest series. This one took a more homely approach without forgetting the outdoors with the multifunctional garden stand and it also got rid of the obligatory sofa, dresser, clock. It also notably features a customisable variant for the Southern Hemisphere.

Even the Bunny Day series, which is very similar to its predecessor, goes on a whole different direction. Both games have an “egg themed” bed, but while New Leaf has the same <very similar to others> bed, NH has a giant basket of eggs as the rest spot. It’s clear the focus on giving everyone options to making their island unique let them be more creative and explore even more choices to do something else; with much more imagination behind.

Edit: NH will feature for the first time, new items for a recurring event, this time Bunny Day. And instead of relying on the past and bringing back the old furniture series, the devs have brought to life 5 completely new items for the event. Wether that trend continues for future major events is still on the air, it seems the old furniture sets are more dead than ever. However, anything can happen.
Egg_Bed_HHD_Icon.png
Bunny_Day_Bed_NH_Icon.png

This difference is also seen with the aformentioned Spooky series, which features wildy different chairs- one is a standard chair while the other is a pumpkin cut in half. Which one would be better suited to fulfill the focus on being able to be used both inside and outside? It seems that the developers may have left behind many of the standard sets in order to focus their time on developing items that fit the big feature of the newest game. Maybe they still plan to add some of the sets, as we have seen with the Mermaid series being brought back almost identically or maybe they're reinventing them before adding them back.

Edit: The Toy Day series on NH is a weird one when compared to the Jingle series on previous games. It seems to be a mix between the sleigh, pile of gifts, the Festive series and the toys. It's once again a drastic departure, the only "similar" thing is the fact that you can use the sleigh as a chair, but that's the only thing in common.

Edit: The Festivale series on NH is one of the best examples of the new exterior approach. All the items included feature some kind of lighting and wind mechanic going on (except for the Drum): everything moves with the wind and illuminates at night. While of course you can replicate both of these things inside your house, it's more natural to see it happening outside.

After all this, it’s fine if people don’t find this focus appealing and liked the way things were before; tons of people miss the “sets” and seem to don’t care about the new items. In my humble opinion, it’s ok to want the old “sets” back, but it’s not ok to outright dismiss the creativity present. It’s fine if you personally want 5 slightly different sofas and 5 slightly different dressers but it’s also fine to understand that some people may prefer a sofa, a dresser, a giant moth model, a pumpkin arch, a monster statue, a bamboo slide, a shark model, a tall mushroom parasol, a garden stand and an acorn toy instead.

This brings us to a small topic:

Replacement - It’s not the same, but it’s equivalent
Some items may have been deemed irrelevant with others items having a similar function and got removed as a result. An example may be the apparent dismissal of the Creepy Series. I say “apparent” because almost all the series is indeed on NH, but with a different face.

For example, you won’t find the “Creepy stone” or the “Creepy bat stone” on NH but you will find the “Western style stone” and the “Zen style stone”. These four items are functionally the same- they depict gravestone/tombs and will help you in order to create a cemetery. They are also visually similar, so NH team probably found no use for the older items.
Creepy_Bat_Stone_HHD_Icon.png
Creepy_Stone_HHD_Icon.png
vs
Zen-Style_Stone_%28White_Granite%29_NH_Icon.png
Western-Style_Stone_%28White%29_NH_Icon.png

Similarly, the “Creepy skeleton” is replaced by either the Australopithecus fossil or the generic fossil sprite and the “Creepy Statue” can be substituted by any haunted artwork.

Creepy_Skeleton_HHD_Icon.png
Creepy_Statue_HHD_Icon.png
vs
NHMuseumAustralopithecus.jpg
/
120px-Identified_Fossil_NH_Inv_Icon.png
Ancient_Statue_%28Forgery%29_NH_Icon.png

Even the “Creepy cauldron” and “Creepy crystal” have some kind of equivalent item with the “Kettle bathtub” and “Fortune-telling set” (even if they have bigger differences). With all those replaced, the leftover items were cut.

Speaking of cut, there are some important categories of “cut” furniture…

Cut! - They’re not here
There is indeed some items that have been cut and don’t have replacements and haven’t been reinvented. These can be grouped into two big categories, both of which are sorely missed: food items and crossover furniture. Although there are some food items already (with more coming within the latest update), it seems weird how they seem to lack any equivalency and it’s weirder (or maybe that’s the reason) when you consider that a cooking feature is/was on development.

Edit: The 1.6 update added 5 food items, so I guess it's a start.

Crossover furniture also represents a big chunk of the difference between the totals of NH vs NL, and it seems it was planned that way with the confirmation of Mario items coming to celebrate Mario’s 35th birthday. Maybe the developers intend to add this furniture little by little when major milestones for other Nintendo franchises come to make them more special, but they indeed add up. Furniture from franchises like Sanrio or 7-11 are another whole can of worms as they can’t simply be added to a new game without some copyright, contracts and negotiations nightmare. I don't have the exact number, but just from this group, there are about 50+ items cut. The decision for Nintendo items to wait may have been a marketing one or developers may have run into legal issues as well.

Edit: On an unpexcted twist, at least for me, the Sanrio stuff is indeed coming to NH. As pointed above, it seems at least 34 furniture items are coming back. With The Legend of Zelda currently on its 35th year (which for marketing purposes seems to have not started yet?) and Splatoon 3 on its way, more crossovers items could appear soon.

These two categories, alongside others like “houseplants” greatly reduce the number of items present on NH but they can be easily grouped. These little things begin to represent a considerable amount of the missing items…

One by one, the count goes on
Finally, it’s worth noting that there are things that little by little give NL lots of more furniture over NH. For example, NL has three different cones counted as separate furniture and four Lucky cats that do the same, whereas NH has only one cone which comes on 8 different variations which include the two that were “cut” and one Lucky Cat that comes on 3 different variations including two of the “cut” items. Please note that many items of NL were also exclusive to some countries and you needed to trade with specific people to get them, while NH has them available worldwide.

These kind of things make the 246 number difference at the beginning appear bigger than it really is.

Final words
New Leaf has an amazing amount of furniture and undoubtedly, set a high bar. New Horizons so far has less furniture and the change of focus may have not been well received by some fans. I agree that NH would greatly benefit from many more furniture options and I’m almost sure we’re going to see more options on the future. I personally think the divide between both is a little overrated and the games are unfairly compared and some people do say vastly incorrect things or greatly diminish NH just because.

I hope this thread can open up some discussions or help people notice the differences between both games and maybe see a different perspective on this recurring topic. Thanks for any feedback and hope everyone keeps enjoying Animal Crossing.

*all images were taken from Nookipedia, IGN guide and google-fu and NH screenshots of the Spooky/Turkey Day series are my own, previous images were taken from Gamespot for the NH Spooky Series and Jeff's NH blog for the NH Turkey Day Series. Special thanks to LoyalDragonfly and Bilaz for pointing me on the right direction.

Last edited:
I really am enjoying new horizons!
That being said, it’s very apparent to me that a lot of items are missing. I’ve tried to recreate my new leaf rooms and it’s impossible because of lack of items.

I’m choosing to decorate my houses last because it seems to me that right now it’s easier to decorate exteriors.

Some items I noticed are not present, that I used to use in new leaf:

-Old flooring
-Baby bed / Stroller ( was hoping they might include it on toy day).
-Gyroids ( I consider them as furniture).
- IV drip and most of the doctor set.
- Creepy coffin and creepy wallpaper/flooring
-Jolly roger ( they didn’t include it on the pirate update)
-Turkey (we didn’t get it in the thanksgiving update either)

StilI, like new horizon. Hopefully in a couple of years we get an update releasing all sorts of furniture goodies like they did in new leaf.

This is impressive !! congrats on the investigation and on the splendid report its very easy to read, follow and comprehend.
There where many things that i hadn't realized before and I very much appreciated reading over to remember and also to realized the differences and it really gives me extra hopes for NH development.

NH is still a baby compared to NL of course and as you said in your threat we would have to wait a couple of years to truly be able to compare them, however i am truly happy that they are not just replicating things from NL to implement in NH but that they are truly taking their time to actually innovate and expand towards new ideas and gameplay dynamics. A good example of what i mean is what you pointed out with the Halloween or Easter furniture, its beautiful how different they are and how well they are adapted to the new gameplay been able have furniture to be able to be placed both inside and outside and also been able to customize it so much!

The game of course is not perfect and I have big expectations for it and I am truly looking up for their upcoming updates! but as yourself I am also very certain we will get new furniture over time ! For me the main concern is to see in the upcoming years more surprises in the gameplay dynamics like: cooking, more vegetables to harvest, been able to eat, Brewster with drinks and food based on seasons, a separate island to play mini games online with friends or in overall more and improve internet mechanics, better dialogues, new gameplay dynamics that i might not have even thought of!

In overall thank you very much for your post, its really interesting to read!

Your post is indeed incredibly interesting to read and I really appreciate it! I was actually wanting to make a similar topic so I seriously appreciate this! I feel like the wallpapers, floors and rugs really add even more and tbh the amount of different colours stuff comes in now is unbelievable

I don't really see why stuff like food and plant items were cut though, but maybe the high amount of detail meant a lot of work

Thank you for doing a great analysis. Still, for me, the main issue here is cutting content.

Just look at Gulliver's rewards in comparison. Also, while not exactly items, we have very limited house exterior options, which is disappointing considering the focus on outdoor design. Mario-themed items are returning next year, but what about other Nintendo franchises? Then there's the missing plant and food items. I know people don't care much about gyroids, but it's still a staple to the series.

I love NH. A LOT. But I still find myself disappointed by this fact.

Thanks so much for sharing this! NH is my first AC game, and I've always assumed there must be a hugely significant amount of missing furniture based on the discussions I've seen. It's nice to see the actual numbers and some examples of what is different.

For me, honestly, the only thing the game is missing, if you can call it that, are more Nook's upgrades. I can do without Brewster, Gyroids, additional furniture sets, etc., and have burned through at least 1000 hours of joy playing this game. I can't say I gave New Leaf anywhere near that amount of time, and I played it from launch.

The way they did Furniture in this game having it be Variants that is random if its available on your island or at your friends island is just not that good. I mean I wish there was a shop that would allow you to change the color of Furniture items like in New Leaf when you were at the Reese and Cyrus Shop. I know this game is all about crafting and customization and I get it that they want the game to be focused on that but the furniture in the game suffers because its like if you want to get a different color you need to spend more bells just to get that said different color or you can catalog it by touching it and dropping if you're lucky to have someone have it. This is something that always bothered me about the furniture in this game and its really shocking how different it is from past AC games.

wow, what an interesting read! i agree with others that say that there are definitely not enough furniture sets or pieces in nh, like i hate having to reuse the same pieces over and over outside to get the look i want, it doesnt feel varied.

also ive never seen the spooky set until now and i am extremely disappointed that they didn't bring it back, its so cute!
Post automatically merged:

that being said, i do understand that nh is less than a year old and i really do think they can catch up with nl eventually! though updates seem to roll out a bit...slowly, which i agree with some that it really gets a tad bit boring between them due to the around 2 month gap
Post automatically merged:

The way they did Furniture in this game having it be Variants that is random if its available on your island or at your friends island is just not that good. I mean I wish there was a shop that would allow you to change the color of Furniture items like in New Leaf when you were at the Reese and Cyrus Shop. I know this game is all about crafting and customization and I get it that they want the game to be focused on that but the furniture in the game suffers because its like if you want to get a different color you need to spend more bells just to get that said different color or you can catalog it by touching it and dropping if you're lucky to have someone have it. This is something that always bothered me about the furniture in this game and its really shocking how different it is from past AC games.

i really gotta agree with this, i get what they were going for with encouraging trading, however if youre like me and have no friends it becomes a hassle to try and get some items without paying huge prices sometimes (nookazon is where i go), and it just kind of takes the fun out of trading imo

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll try to address some points:

I really am enjoying new horizons!
That being said, it’s very apparent to me that a lot of items are missing. I’ve tried to recreate my new leaf rooms and it’s impossible because of lack of items.

I’m choosing to decorate my houses last because it seems to me that right now it’s easier to decorate exteriors.

Some items I noticed are not present, that I used to use in new leaf:

-Old flooring
-Baby bed / Stroller ( was hoping they might include it on toy day).
-Gyroids ( I consider them as furniture).
- IV drip and most of the doctor set.
- Creepy coffin and creepy wallpaper/flooring
-Jolly roger ( they didn’t include it on the pirate update)
-Turkey (we didn’t get it in the thanksgiving update either)

StilI, like new horizon. Hopefully in a couple of years we get an update releasing all sorts of furniture goodies like they did in new leaf.
While I don't think it's wrong per se, why do people try to recreate everything from NL 1:1 instead of using the alternatives the game offers? It has more than 1,500 items to choose from! But sure, the hope is that they keep delivering new items to use, like the new toys which are very versatile for example.

This is impressive !! congrats on the investigation and on the splendid report its very easy to read, follow and comprehend.
There where many things that i hadn't realized before and I very much appreciated reading over to remember and also to realized the differences and it really gives me extra hopes for NH development.

NH is still a baby compared to NL of course and as you said in your threat we would have to wait a couple of years to truly be able to compare them, however i am truly happy that they are not just replicating things from NL to implement in NH but that they are truly taking their time to actually innovate and expand towards new ideas and gameplay dynamics. A good example of what i mean is what you pointed out with the Halloween or Easter furniture, its beautiful how different they are and how well they are adapted to the new gameplay been able have furniture to be able to be placed both inside and outside and also been able to customize it so much!

The game of course is not perfect and I have big expectations for it and I am truly looking up for their upcoming updates! but as yourself I am also very certain we will get new furniture over time ! For me the main concern is to see in the upcoming years more surprises in the gameplay dynamics like: cooking, more vegetables to harvest, been able to eat, Brewster with drinks and food based on seasons, a separate island to play mini games online with friends or in overall more and improve internet mechanics, better dialogues, new gameplay dynamics that i might not have even thought of!

In overall thank you very much for your post, its really interesting to read!
Many thanks! Oh and also thanks for the lights that appear beneath my avatar! Happy holidays to you as well :D

I agree, the game is still very young and we have already seen many nice things added- There is a precedent set for great things to come.

You are also right that the level of customisation this game offers is leagues ahead. From simple recolors to aesthetic changes like the Spooky series.

Your post is indeed incredibly interesting to read and I really appreciate it! I was actually wanting to make a similar topic so I seriously appreciate this! I feel like the wallpapers, floors and rugs really add even more and tbh the amount of different colours stuff comes in now is unbelievable

I don't really see why stuff like food and plant items were cut though, but maybe the high amount of detail meant a lot of work
Thanks!! Yeah, like I said, NH has 302 more items than NL regarding wallpaper, flooring and rugs (comparing to amiibo'd NL!). If we added that tiny bit, the amount of items at release would be higher for NH.

The cooking mechanics found on the datamine may be the reason food has been cut for the moment. However, we can't be sure cooking is indeed coming to the game, the feature may have been scrapped. Until we know the fate of the mechanic, food items probably won't increase in number.

Thank you for doing a great analysis. Still, for me, the main issue here is cutting content.

Just look at Gulliver's rewards in comparison. Also, while not exactly items, we have very limited house exterior options, which is disappointing considering the focus on outdoor design. Mario-themed items are returning next year, but what about other Nintendo franchises? Then there's the missing plant and food items. I know people don't care much about gyroids, but it's still a staple to the series.

I love NH. A LOT. But I still find myself disappointed by this fact.
Thanks! I try to not spoil myself in regards to some items, so I sadly don't know the comparison of Gulliver. Regardless, we don't really know how or why they cut some content. Like said with the Nintendo items, they may be waiting for green light from Nintendo itself in order to promote the games. After all, these kind of crossover furniture has changed from nice easter eggs to another cog on the marketing machine of the big company.

Most games cut content from one entry to another, but I guess people really expected NH to be NL+Pocket Camp and not leave a single thing behind- which is a bit unrealistic. Specially for a game that made the transition to HD, tweaked all the 380+ villagers and almost remade all the 1000 items that are on the game.

I do hope new items and mechanics keep coming, to keep the game fresh and add even more greatness!

For me, honestly, the only thing the game is missing, if you can call it that, are more Nook's upgrades. I can do without Brewster, Gyroids, additional furniture sets, etc., and have burned through at least 1000 hours of joy playing this game. I can't say I gave New Leaf anywhere near that amount of time, and I played it from launch.
With fewer orderable items, I think Nook's Cranny upgrades are not coming soon, sadly. However, it's notable that the inventory of the shop has already been upgraded two times; even if it didn't carry an exterior change.

Although I agree that color-locking some of the furniture wasn't the best decision, please note that you can still get different colors through other single-player means. NL also had a far worse problem if you look at it from the same pov, as it had exclusive items; not color variations. For example, unless you were in Japan, you couldn't get Bamboo Grass. If you are going to criticize how you can't easily get different color for furniture, please note past games locked content depending on your country.

And also, don't disregard the much more expanded customisation options NH offers- it's grander that NL. 351 items are customisable on your own, and the variety is astounding. I do agree they could have made it easier to get different colors of the 370 pieces that have a variation and aren't customisable, though.

Most games cut content from one entry to another, but I guess people really expected NH to be NL+Pocket Camp and not leave a single thing behind- which is a bit unrealistic. Specially for a game that made the transition to HD, tweaked all the 380+ villagers and almost remade all the 1000 items that are on the game.

this!!! 1000x this. people really do like to compare to pocket camp and want all the pocket camp items, but theyd have to model every single one, make the interactions with them, and id imagine that itd be a really long time before that could even be done. also the number of items in a mobile game coming out quicker than nh is going to be higher i think because they need to keep people invested so they can make money from it.

Last edited:

While I don't think it's wrong per se, why do people try to recreate everything from NL 1:1 instead of using the alternatives the game offers? It has more than 1,500 items to choose from! But sure, the hope is that they keep delivering new items to use, like the new toys which are very versatile for example.

Many thanks! Oh and also thanks for the lights that appear beneath my avatar! Happy holidays to you as well :D

I agree, the game is still very young and we have already seen many nice things added- There is a precedent set for great things to come.

You are also right that the level of customisation this game offers is leagues ahead. From simple recolors to aesthetic changes like the Spooky series.

Thanks!! Yeah, like I said, NH has 302 more items than NL regarding wallpaper, flooring and rugs (comparing to amiibo'd NL!). If we added that tiny bit, the amount of items at release would be higher for NH.

The cooking mechanics found on the datamine may be the reason food has been cut for the moment. However, we can't be sure cooking is indeed coming to the game, the feature may have been scrapped. Until we know the fate of the mechanic, food items probably won't increase in number.

Thanks! I try to not spoil myself in regards to some items, so I sadly don't know the comparison of Gulliver. Regardless, we don't really know how or why they cut some content. Like said with the Nintendo items, they may be waiting for green light from Nintendo itself in order to promote the games. After all, these kind of crossover furniture has changed from nice easter eggs to another cog on the marketing machine of the big company.

I do hope new items and mechanics keep coming, to keep the game fresh and add even more greatness!

With fewer orderable items, I think Nook's Cranny upgrades are not coming soon, sadly. However, it's notable that the inventory of the shop has already been upgraded two times; even if it didn't carry an exterior change.

Although I agree that color-locking some of the furniture wasn't the best decision, please note that you can still get different colors through other single-player means. NL also had a far worse problem if you look at it from the same pov, as it had exclusive items; not color variations. For example, unless you were in Japan, you couldn't get Bamboo Grass. If you are going to criticize how you can't easily get different color for furniture, please note past games locked content depending on your country.

And also, don't disregard the much more expanded customisation options NH offers- it's grander that NL. 351 items are customisable on your own, and the variety is astounding. I do agree they could have made it easier to get different colors of the 370 pieces that have a variation and aren't customisable, though.
Well the thing is the same can be said for the items you get at Nook Mile Shop. What really is strange is that depending on what color you went with for the airport you get a different color of items and the only way to get different colors is that if you have a friend or someone that has a different color airport they will have some color items that you want that you don't have in the Nook Mile shop. Whats really strange is that when you catalog it, it doesn't register in the Nook Mile shop catalog yet it appears in Nook Shopping and the color varient change is there but it says "Not for sale". So I feel like they did that one pretty poorly.

Last edited:

For me it’s because it brings sentimental value. In new leaf I would constantly reset and go on hiatus until I found a theme I really enjoyed. I started doing a spooky theme, and all of a sudden I was inspired. I never got bored of this theme ( which I did many times before when I had zen or pastel type towns). It was super fun to create characters, and clothing and patterns under this theme. Which is what I’m doing now as well on new horizon. I also grew very attached to some of the characters I created, and wanted to bring them over to new horizon. To me, I sort of Created a story line with all of my playable characters, so it’s like a story book or movie. I don’t think my game play would be as fun for me without this. It’s kind of how people loved a villager from previous gameplays and want to have them on new horizons, it’s the same concept for me. I wanted to keep my same characters. These characters already had houses built in new leaf. Sure I’m still playing it in new horizon, and I’ve changed their houses quite a lot, but there were certain rooms I loved in new leaf that I certainly cannot rebuild. It’s sort of a sequel of sorts.

This is such a great idea to explore, AND a phenomenally presented post! Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write this all up! The one point that you brought up that absolutely nailed it for me is about outdoor decorating vs. indoor decorating. It hadn't even occurred to me that the items are being intentionally designed (and some could argue, presented) to be more versatile in that way.

On a personal note, I am disappointed, disheartened, distraught, and positively downtrodden that there is no Sloppy Set in ACNH. Those of you in the Tumblr ACNL fandom probably feel the same. That set was everything to me, to US. I only had a few viral posts, but they were all including some Sloppy pieces. I miss you......

thank you so much for your analysis; i can tell just how much time and effort you put into compiling all this for us. while i’ve voiced my disappointment with the furniture situation already and my opinion still remains just about the same, getting to see actual numbers and comparison photos definitely helped to sway me a bit. :’)

Thanks for the kind comments!

Well the thing is the same can be said for the items you get at Nook Mile Shop. What really is strange is that depending on what color you went with for the airport you get a different color of items and the only way to get different colors is that if you have a friend or someone that has a different color airport they will have some color items that you want that you don't have in the Nook Mile shop. Whats really strange is that when you catalog it, it doesn't register in the Nook Mile shop catalog yet it appears in Nook Shopping and the color varient change is there but it says "Not for sale". So I feel like they did that one pretty poorly.
Sure, the Nook Miles furniture are an exception to the rule and are the only ones completely color-locked afaik. And although it's a weird choice to incentivize trading, it's much better than missing out on items.

For me it’s because it brings sentimental value. In new leaf I would constantly reset and go on hiatus until I found a theme I really enjoyed. I started doing a spooky theme, and all of a sudden I was inspired. I never got bored of this theme ( which I did many times before when I had zen or pastel type towns). It was super fun to create characters, and clothing and patterns under this theme. Which is what I’m doing now as well on new horizon. I also grew very attached to some of the characters I created, and wanted to bring them over to new horizon. To me, I sort of Created a story line with all of my playable characters, so it’s like a story book or movie. I don’t think my game play would be as fun for me without this. It’s kind of how people loved a villager from previous gameplays and want to have them on new horizons, it’s the same concept for me. I wanted to keep my same characters. These characters already had houses built in new leaf. Sure I’m still playing it in new horizon, and I’ve changed their houses quite a lot, but there were certain rooms I loved in new leaf that I certainly cannot rebuild. It’s sort of a sequel of sorts.
Oh I get it, it's a very cute idea to have a continuing story with all your games. Hope you can find something that keeps the plot (and your joy) moving forward!

Don't forget that NH items are an absurd amount of clothing, like the ridiculous amount of socks and garbage that nobody would ever wear, and also bug and fish models, that is probably half the item count, and also color variations of the limited amount of actual items we do get.

NL had so many more unique items, and a lot of those could be customized and didn't count as an entire 'extra item' the way NH tries to trick you into thinking you're getting..

I also prefer the NL egg bed and headstones.

I was counting on all the hundreds of fantastic NL items to be put into NH.

Still waiting.

Last edited:
I’m torn about this because although NH has lesser furniture than NL, they’re more...suited to my taste, I guess? Like, it’s nice to have a lot more choices and I’d be happy to have more but generally for me NH furniture (although limited) are more usable than the NL ones in the sense that they’re actual furniture I would love to have in my own home in real life, you know? The NL furniture (although a lot) are mostly way too tacky and garish for my tastes (besides a few series like the Alpine, Regal and Rococo ones) that’s why I’m not too bothered by their absence. No offense to fans of the NL furniture sets but they’re very gimmicky and gamey to me like I would never live in a house with those kinds of furniture. Lol. I mean just look at the house interiors of some players in NH they almost look like they’re from The Sims sometimes and I think that’s not a bad thing at all.

Don't forget that NH items are an absurd amount of clothing, like the ridiculous amount of socks, and also bug and fish models, that is probably half the item count, and also color variations of the items we do get.

NL had so many more unique items, and a lot of those could be customized and didn't count as an entire 'extra item' the way NH tries to trick you into thinking you're getting..

I also prefer the NL egg bed and headstones.

I was counting on all the hundreds of fantastic NL items to be put into NH.

Still waiting.
The only thing that is right about your post is that models are counted, and I don't know why that would be a bad thing- they are useful for decorating, adding unique touches to your island/home and can be fun. You may not like them, but that doesn't mean they don't count or something.

All of the other things you said are wrong and were already stated on my post, but I'll answer again:

Don't forget that NH items are an absurd amount of clothing, like the ridiculous amount of socks
No, I'm not counting clothing here. I'm not posting my totals I've already done, but I can say that even when NL had tops that were the same thing but with short/long sleeves, NH already has more clothes than amiibo'd NL by 48. And this is unique amount of clothes, not color variations. And if by "ridiculous amount of socks" you mean 21 more, then I guess that's a new definition for ridiculous number.

and also color variations of the items we do get
No, color variations are not counted on my post for NH. NL has indeed some color variations inflating its total amount, like the cone and Lucky cat examples previously provided. If we do count color variations, I'm pretty sure NH will more than double/triple? the furniture total; as 677 of its furniture has possible variations with some of them having more than 4.

NH is not "tricking" you into anything, the amount posted are unique items. If anything, NL did more of this "tricking" with a small amount of items being just color variations or different sizes with no change, like:

So yeah, there is no "tricking" involved, I posted the numbers as they are. However, if you do indeed think I have made a mistake, please let me know.

Like I said before, it's ok to prefer the old furniture. But please don't go around spreading misinformation.

Back