• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

An analysis of New Horizons' furniture

Interesting analysis! It's nice to see everything laid out in numbers like this. I guess my main gripe with the furniture in ACNH isn't so much the number its like... the lack of variety? Like everything is just so... normal now. For example, these were some of my favourite rooms that I made in ACNL pre-Welcome Amiibo update:

1613659179420.png

1613659240278.png

And the stuff I made after the update I liked even more:
1613658795135.png

and out of those rooms, how many of those items are actually in ACNH? Like I don't care if they're exact copies, I just want more unique stuff that aren't just... oh great, I can make yet another living room or bedroom! And even the basic items in ACNH aren't the best, like why are there so little sofas?? And my favourite items in ACNL were def. the plant and food ones, and I don't get why they're so sparse now in ACNH. I thought for sure they were adding cooking during the Harvest Festival, and they'd add a ton of food items then, but obviously I was wrong.

Like at least the Festivale stuff was unique (even though it wasn't my cup of tea), I hope we get more stuff like that in the future. I also don't care about the Mario items, and it's not like ACNL didn't have Mario items too

at this point I'm just hoping now that ACNH will also have a significant update too, though hopefully not 4 years after the game's initial release...

Still, no decent furniture.

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick to death of the double sofa, that is really the simple red sofa from NL and WW.

Yep, the sofa selection is really bad.
Post automatically merged:

Any info on how much furniture there is in NH compared to GCN, WW and CF?

I actually prefer having more functional variety overall than having more variety of the same function. Like I don't care that we have 9 sofas compared to the 35 sofas on New Leaf, because I'll maybe use two or three sofas in total. However, that's very subjective, and I'm pretty sure other people want the 35 sofas and could use all 35 fine. Some people find a standard dresser with a vague Santa hat shape to be quirky, fun and variety-rich, while I'd use those adjectives for a big reindeer that glows at night.

It's a matter of taste, adapting, improvising, creativity or all of them together, I guess. I didn't play the previous game so I worked with the furniture available without any nostalgia/need/ideas for older items and I'm completely satisfied for example (and then, limited space means I can't use more than like 300 furniture?). Many common "wants" for items go to the furniture sets like Rococo or Alpine and I'm here like "please Nintendo if you can only bring x amount of items don't give me the 60 missing chairs, give me something more interesting". And I would probably be chased with pitchforks over that opinion by older fans so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (well some people already chased me but xD)

Of course the ideal solution would be to have both kinds of variety. NL kindaaaaaa achieved this by sheer number of items alone, but that didn't happen until its fourth year (and didn't have to also focus on outdoor decorating as much).

View attachment 356925
View attachment 356926

And the stuff I made after the update I liked even more:
View attachment 356914

and out of those rooms, how many of those items are actually in ACNH?
Although I can't probably give you a right answer since some items have been replaced by similar ones and more importantly, I don't know NL items by heart, I guess a quick 40/60 split is safe. Maybe less, like 35.

Like the cardboard box/bottled ship/standard sprite of dropped tools/tree standee/bush standee/tanuki statue/bamboo bench/cushion/noodles/cassette player are on the game more or less the same (of course with little retouches).

Others seem similar, like the little car looking like the pocket campers, the one that looks like the fruit basket or the plant on your second one looking like the bamboo grass? (what it is? looks nice). The little thingies on your second image are the zodiac figurines from upcoming years? And then tables and stools and the like are kind of replaced by the ones on the game, but we return to the "functional variety vs variety within a function" thing.

I don't recognize like the other 15 or so items (what is that house-looking thing on the third pic???), so I'm assuming there is no equivalent.

Any info on how much furniture there is in NH compared to GCN, WW and CF?
I'm using moridb for NL items, but I don't have a source for previous ones. Based on the general discussion of the topic, I'm guessing that NL has the most furniture of all games but I don't have exact numbers for previous games. They should be pretty similar to base NL count? Since NH is almost reaching that level, they may be on par with previous games.

(Unless amiibo items on NL were cut items from previous entries?)

All in all thanks for some of the posts, it's nice to keep discussing our opinions on furniture and how they work for each of us.

Apologies for the double post, this may be one of the final bumps for this thread.

I quietly updated the totals with the 1.8 update and I have updated again with the totals after the first year. The 1.9 update has brought the biggest amount of furniture yet, with a total of 47 new furniture items. The previous biggest update was 1.6, with 33 (Turkey+Toy Day combo).

I don't have high hopes that the Bunny Day treatment would be standard for the next major events (specially since 3 of the 4 remaining ones already had items selling at Nook's Cranny) but it would be a nice surprise to see even more creative items for those events. We don't know how many (if there are at all) updates are left for the game, so 1 year is a nice comparison. Even tho NH ended the first year a little behind base NL count, I'm more than satisfied with the current selection of items. Keeping up with the trend of thinking outside the box, the latest update stealthily bring more "furniture items" disguised, with the new flags and face cut-out standees and I'm happy to see the creativity they are bringing to the table. With Prom being the last event of the 1.9 update and it lasting all April, it may take a while to see something new.

I could continue analysing some of the data, maybe even bringing customisation into the picture, but with the available sites at my disposal and my inherent laziness, I don't think I'll be able to do it. Also not seeing if the result would be worth the effort haha

Back