• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Advice on getting back into New Horizons

HoennMaster

Bells
Tasty Cake
Sakura Easter Egg
Pikachu Easter Egg
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Hi everyone. I haven’t played New Horizons since May. My interest in the game burned out really quickly. I would really like to get back into the game, but could use some advice.

One of the main reasons my interest burned out was because between a full-time job and other responsibilities sometimes I only get maybe an hour to play a day, so I found it hard to make progress in the game. Making money in the game takes time and patience, and unfortunately, I don’t always have that, so building up the island took forever and it was no longer enjoyable. Have any new quick money “schemes” popped up in the last year or is it the usual? Just want to know before diving in again, and how do you guys deal with going many days with little to no progress and not get burned out?

I have two Switches, so I was thinking of starting a new island since I’m not fond of my original one anyway (airport color, Resident Services location, etc). I would buy a second copy of the game and was wondering, are the events that are added to the game via updates removed? I would like to go back in time on my original file and revisit the holidays that I missed such as Toy Day and Festivale.

I recently learned that your airport color determines the colors of various Nook Miles items. Are these customizable and if not, are they easy to trade for, or do people like to charge a lot for them?

Finally, I am not a creative person at all. I suck at coming up with ideas on my own. I was so excited for Terraforming when it was announced, but I ended up being completely overwhelmed by it. Any advice on how people go about terraforming or how to take ideas from others and make them your own? I wanted to make my town my own, but it’s hard when I can’t think of ideas for myself without inspiration and copying. ☹

I would really appreciate your guys feedback.

Hey there!
So it's really cheap to buy igb with tbt now, you can get like 10 million bells for 10 tbt easy.
also I can order you any item in the game to catalog for 1 tbt each or to buy and keep for 2 tbt each.

As for playing without getting burnt out, I TT around a lot and I pick different goals to work on. ie. Update town flag, add a new character house, remodel an area of the island to reflect what specific villagers would want (like a basketball court if you have a lot of jocks) ect.

You can go back to the holidays to experience them, you might have to set the date to last year (2020) for some of them though fyi.

Nook Miles items are not customizable, but people are very reasonable in pricing them most of the time, I charge 3 tbt each for my variants

Don't feel bad about lacking inspiration, sounds like you have a busy worklife, that can really exhaust you mentally. Maybe try thinking of themes for areas and picking items that match/ inspire you. When I'm trying to think of a new idea for a room or part of the island, I browse this list of all the furniture and try to pick ones I like and then match them to a theme. https://villagerdb.com/items/furniture?game=nh
For example a hotel, or a farmer's market, or a beach hut, one guy recently said he was making his island post-apocolypse themed.

I hope this helps, you can bounce ideas off me if you like and maybe I can give some suggestions!
Post automatically merged:

Oh also instagram is a great place to browse other people's island ideas for inspiration!

Howdy-doo-dee! I was exactly the same as you, my interest reeeeealy burned out around May as well, and I missed a lotta stuff. But I got back into the game a week or so ago, and I love it like I never did before!

I believe there are several services here that exchange TBT currency, (of which you seem to have quite a bit of), for in game bells, that can solve your money issue, my friend!

As for the idea of starting a new island, I believe you should set the time on your switch back a week or two and then advance a day foward whenever you complete the checkpoint so to speak to progress your town. The start of this game is certainly a bit tedious, and linear, so you would have to wait awhile to progress if you wait naturally.
And you should certainly restart until you find yourself happy with your airport color, resident service location, the two river mouth exits, and native fruit if you care about that. So you don’t regret it later, of course. The starting villagers don’t matter as much imo, as you can change those.

As for the ideas of terraforming...I’m in the middle of it myself, and struggle just as you haha, so sorry if I’m not much help. But I think it best to get used to the natural layout first, and then slowly start to envision how you would like things in the grand scheme later. Renovating in island is expensive with moving houses and shops, and...imo, I think it could burn you out if you jump in before getting your feet wet so to speak.

Sorry for the wall of text haha, I hope you are able to enjoy the game once more!

The only new money making scheme I know of is selling pumpkins that you get from Timmy/Tommy or Leif. If you have a lot you can make quite a bit of money that way. Obviously not as much as you can with turnips but it's something. Not everyone may be a fan of this idea but I've bought bells from sellers on Etsy before just because I never had enough money to do anything or get anywhere, it wasn't but a few dollars and in the long run it was worth it to me.

The seasons aren't removed you just can't go forward and experience them before the actual day, you may be able to go backward and experience them again that way but don't quote me on that.

No, you can't customize any of the furniture you get with your miles. You can definitely trade for them, or buy them off of websites like nookmart or nookazon. I'm not really sure how much they go for though.

I look at ideas on youtube, twitter, tumblr, reddit and instagram. Sometimes it's an exact copy, other times I'll change it around a little but I'm not the best at terraforming anyway.

The best thing I've done to get back into it was decide to stick with a certain theme on my island so it gives me goals and objectives like "build this certain area today" or "design and terraform this area tomorrow." It just helps me keep focus on the game and it helps me feel productive in game.

I watch a lot of great AC youtubers and browse pinterest a fair bit and find a lot of inspiration that way. I'm not sure it's entirely awful to copy something that someone else has done. I mean for one it's a game and two, everybody draws interest and design inspiration from something so if you like the way a certain waterfall looks then go for it!

I think with TBT and Nookazon and the other ways to get and trade items, it's pretty easy to obtain what you need to get going now days.

There are some days where all I do is chat with my villagers, check the stores, and do a couple small tasks then I put the switch down and pick it up back up the next day with more to do. I think taking frequent breaks is a great way to avoid quick burnout from the game.

I hope you get back into it and find some things to love again with it!

Thank you everyone. When you guys say that tbt can be exchanged for in game bells, is that something that Bell Tree Forums offers, or are you referring to setting that up with individual users? I haven’t been on this site for a while either so way out of the loop.

And thanks for letting me know about Nook Miles items, good to know before I choose an airport color.

I’m not the best at explaining things, so I’m sure another user will put this better, (please do!)

You see when you click onto your profile, it says you have 1947 bells? That’s quite a lot! Those bells are referred to as TBT, so you have 1947 TBT! TBT is gained by simply posting on here, the only way to get it actually.

When you go to the section of the forum called ‘Nooks Cranny’ there are some topics that have a member offering millions of bells for TBT, I believe the user Jhine7 is giving millions of in game bells for about 9 TBT in one of those topics. You should read his topic, and PM him if interested in any of his services for TBT.

You can send TBT to whatver person you are trading with by hitting that money bag command, clicking on your bell amount, and then going over to the donate button. You then enter in the username of the member you are trading with, and enter the number of the TBT you agreed upon.

Along with things like trading for furniture, flowers, in game bells, and Nook Mile Tickets in Nooks Cranny. TBT can be used to commission art from users on here, in the Museum section of the for, and for Villagers in the New Neighbors section on here.

Let me know if you are confused at all, or want more specifics please. Sorry for the wall of text, my friend. I was just as lost on the subject until fairly recently.

Last edited:
Of course! Sorry if you knew all that stuff about TBT already, I tend to blather haha.
Good luck in your island, and hope you can enjoy the game, friendo.

Back