• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

ACCF seems underrated and probably is

BirdsAreCoolYo

Pudgy Pidgeys
Bells
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Yellow Candy
Past AC titles. Everyone seems to bring up Wild World more than City Folk. TBH, I haven't played Wild World. What's so good about it? I did some research and this is what I found...

Good things about Wild World in comparison to the oringinal:
  • Villager friendships are more detailed
  • Online play: first AC title to do this
  • First game to introduce villager pics
  • First game to have the Timer, Watering Can and Slingshot
  • New holidays such as Yay Day and La-Di Day
  • Character customizable than the oringinal
  • New KK music
  • There are 16 new fish, as well as 16 new bugs.
  • Blathers can now identify fossils himself
  • Some buildings are gone. The Police Station and Post Office buildings have been removed from the town, but the Town Gate and Town Hall replace them. The Wishing Well is gone. The Town Dump is gone, but the Recycle Bin at Town Hall replaces it
Cons about ACWW as apposed to AC
  • Some characters (such as Porter) are removed from the first AC
  • Some items and collectibles do not appear, such as the collectible NES Games
  • Some buildings are gone. The Police Station and Post Office buildings have been removed from the town, but the Town Gate and Town Hall replace them. The Wishing Well is gone as well as The City Dump.
  • The old password system for shipping items is gone
  • Tom Nook sells only one house, not four, but the four players live in the same house. In Animal Crossing: City Folk Nook sells four houses again
  • The journal feature, where it was possible to write a public or private journal each month, is gone
  • Certain holidays from the GameCube version have been taken out, such as of Toy Day and Halloween. These holidays return in Animal Crossing: City Folk.

More coming soon on The Pros/Cons on ACCF (which btw I have played as well as the first AC.)! Place your thoughts below!

Last edited:
the main problem people had with CF, i think, is that it was just too similar to WW to be worth the price. CF felt too much like a wii port of WW with a few features tweaked and thrown in, but people probably would've liked CF more if WW wasn't there to compare it to.

one big problem CF had in particular were the really, really repetitive conversations. i can't count the amount of times i've heard stuff like "YOU MAY THINK I'M A TIRED OLD MAN FOR SAYING THIS BUT I LIKE WALKING SLOW" and "WALKIN' TIME WALKIN' TIME, TIME TO GET ALL FIT AND STUFF" :eek:

e: oh yeah, and grass tracks, most people HATED that li'l thing. and the fact that a good number of the random visitors that came and added variety to the game were moved to the city permanently

Last edited:
Past AC titles. Everyone seems to bring up Wild World more than City Folk. TBH, I haven't played Wild World.

That's why you enjoyed City Folk so much. It's just like Mugh Hann wrote.

I'm sure that if I had never played Wild World, City Folk would've been a really fun experience for me. It's not a bad game, but it feels a bit tedious to play the exact same game with minor improvements on a superior console. Wild World felt like a fresh experience when compared to the original Gamecube Game, and in the same way, New Leaf felt like like a fresh experience when compared to Wild World/City Folk.

They're both good games anyway. It's a shame you can't play them online anymore.

Personally it's much better than Wild World, though the Villager conversations are the weakest part of the game for me.

I never got to play Animal crossing city folk,But i did play Wild World....And i felt very disappointed with it..I played the original version for game cube and loved it i have yet to play new leaf it looks fun it looks as good as animal crossing gcn.

What put me off City Folk most of all were all those annoying ledges! Convos were pretty awful as well :c
But yeah at GameStop there are over 10 copies of CF and I managed to be there when they had one WW in so I nabbed it <3
Maybe it's just nostalgia but Wild World just seems worlds better to me

I'd love CF a lot more if it weren't for the wiimote's controls. I never knew if it was playable with a Gamecube controller but god, trying to direct my character and aim with the wiimote was ridiculously tedious.

I really don't think City Folk is 'underrated'. However, I *do* think that the reviewers were all completely off on why it was such a mediocre title. It's that ridiculous "more of the same" line. It's thrown around by individuals who do not understand the appeal of a life simulation series such as this. The one and only time I have ever used that line was to criticize The Sims 4, but one might understand how that rings true for that title in particular if they have been a The Sims fan as long as I have been... But that's off-topic. Sorry. xD

I mean, I get it... City Folk was very similar to Wild World. However, I do believe that City Folk failed in how lazily done it was, and not necessarily in how similar it was to Wild World. You see, City Folk was actually a step down from Wild World in many places. If it had been able to achieve the same level of quality in animal interaction and more that Wild World (and especially the GCN version) had, plus add the holidays that CF did in fact add back, it would have been a stellar Animal Crossing title, IMO.

But it couldn't even do that... City Folk was slopped together. About the only thing I could call well-done was the graphics. The rest of the game is a mess. The two-phase interaction with villagers was completely removed, and that added with the very limited amount of dialogue given to the villagers, you ended up seeing the very same conversation repeated several times in a row. The game also managed to remove the pictures feature from Wild World, which eliminated a great deal of any reason to even attempt to tolerate the mundane and repetitive villagers of the game.

Then there's the city... I think the city is a great example of how slopped together this game was... Special visitors have always been one way to keep up replay value in this series... But in City Folk, they decided to stick almost all of them in one place that could be visited every day... I can't imagine that this decision came about in a perfectly calm, collected well-thought out manner. I can imagine it was like "Wow, this game really won't sell as it is... We need to at least make it look like it has something special... Oh I know!"

It's funny because when we look at New Leaf, it makes City Folk look even worse than it already did. New Leaf is pretty much everything that City Folk should have been. I mean, it's not perfect by any means... But the fact that so much more effort went into New Leaf just really shows how much didn't go into City Folk. It is simply astounding.

I hope City Folk forever remains the lowest of the low point of the series.

Last edited:
The main problem is that City Folk isn't much of a big improvement to Wild World like WW was to GC as NL is to CF. They only added a few things to the game. I didn't play too much of it, but the grass deterioration problem was so horrible. I also didn't like the female character design in City Folk (I'm talking about the humans). I don't think City Folk is underrated, but I didn't know that people hated City Folk more than the other two games before New Leaf.

I honestly didn't care much for WW. After playing the GC version, WW was a bit of a disappointment. Going from a 25 acre town with two tiers and 15 villagers to a flat 16 acre town with only eight villagers, it just felt to small. I missed the soccer balls, treasure hunts, the island and especially the holidays. Plus with four AC players in my home, sharing a house was just no good. It wasn't all bad though. Villager pics, hybrid flowers and Wi-fi we're nice additions.

CF didn't feel like a port of WW so much as it felt like a blend of that and the GC version. It had it's flaws - villager AI was awful, having NPC's in the city took the fun out of having them show up randomly and grass erosion was out of control. But for me, the bigger town and the return of holidays made it more enjoyable than WW.

"WALKIN' TIME WALKIN' TIME, TIME TO GET ALL FIT AND STUFF" :eek:

"I just ate, like, fifty points of *some sort of food*, so I'm feeling kinda bloated"

I hated this so much because Bluebear would say it almost every time I spoke to her.

To me City Folk was just a slight step up from Wild World. Bigger town, better graphics, addition of the city (though it wasn't the most amazing thing...), and that's really about it. I feel like everything that Wild World and City Folk did wrong, Nintendo made up for in New Leaf for the most part. I wasn't sure what to expect of New Leaf, with the new mayor mechanic changing things up a bit.; however, I have to say it is a brilliant mechanic that is a refreshing change to the series. Wild World and City Folk to me both tried to "add" something to the series, but they didn't turn out that well. The original is still my favorite for a lot of reasons, but New Leaf is a very close second.

What put me off City Folk most of all were all those annoying ledges! Convos were pretty awful as well :c
But yeah at GameStop there are over 10 copies of CF and I managed to be there when they had one WW in so I nabbed it <3
Maybe it's just nostalgia but Wild World just seems worlds better to me

Actually some people nowadays want rivers that split... you can get that in ACCF

I really don't think City Folk is 'underrated'. However, I *do* think that the reviewers were all completely off on why it was such a mediocre title. It's that ridiculous "more of the same" line. It's thrown around by individuals who do not understand the appeal of a life simulation series such as this. The one and only time I have ever used that line was to criticize The Sims 4, but one might understand how that rings true for that title in particular if they have been a The Sims fan as long as I have been... But that's off-topic. Sorry. xD

I mean, I get it... City Folk was very similar to Wild World. However, I do believe that City Folk failed in how lazily done it was, and not necessarily in how similar it was to Wild World. You see, City Folk was actually a step down from Wild World in many places. If it had been able to achieve the same level of quality in animal interaction and more that Wild World (and especially the GCN version) had, plus add the holidays that CF did in fact add back, it would have been a stellar Animal Crossing title, IMO.

But it couldn't even do that... City Folk was slopped together. About the only thing I could call well-done was the graphics. The rest of the game is a mess. The two-phase interaction with villagers was completely removed, and that added with the very limited amount of dialogue given to the villagers, you ended up seeing the very same conversation repeated several times in a row. The game also managed to remove the pictures feature from Wild World, which eliminated a great deal of any reason to even attempt to tolerate the mundane and repetitive villagers of the game.

Then there's the city... I think the city is a great example of how slopped together this game was... Special visitors have always been one way to keep up replay value in this series... But in City Folk, they decided to stick almost all of them in one place that could be visited every day... I can't imagine that this decision came about in a perfectly calm, collected well-thought out manner. I can imagine it was like "Wow, this game really won't sell as it is... We need to at least make it look like it has something special... Oh I know!"

It's funny because when we look at New Leaf, it makes City Folk look even worse than it already did. New Leaf is pretty much everything that City Folk should have been. I mean, it's not perfect by any means... But the fact that so much more effort went into New Leaf just really shows how much didn't go into City Folk. It is simply astounding.

I hope City Folk forever remains the lowest of the low point of the series.
Wow, well put. I'd have to agree with pretty much everything here. I hated how you had to "Travel" to the city. It made the game a lot more tedious than it should have been. Same goes for those freaking ledges. I wonder what genius decided MORE irremovable features was a good idea for the towns.

It's kinda crappy how it's my first Animal Crossing game I ever owned (Played the original first on an emulator around 2010-2011.)
I do agree, it's a mess in every way that's possible.
But to be honest, Wild World when compared to the original is downgraded too. But it's on a handheld that isn't as powerful as the Gamecube, so I can see why people love Wild World so much.
But I'm all in for another Animal Crossing game on a console, it just needs more features from other games to keep it from being the same game repackaged into a console.

Back