• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Wild World vs. City Folk dialogue difference?

Tommyputt

Mayor of Bertoko
Bells
Silver Mailbox
So I’ve recently got a steam deck, and am really enjoying playing through the GameCube version of Animal Crossing. It’s got charm that I really miss compared to modern releases!

My question is, I know city folk was just a console port of wild world with a few added bits, and I played both as a kid, but I can’t seem to find a solid answer on the dialogue differences. Some people seem to think they’re the same, and some threads seem to say that city folk got worse..

Which is true! I want to get into one of them, and ideally city folk on the steam deck as it will run/look great. But also if the dialogue is that much better in wild world, ill jus stick to my 3DS play through of it.

I also want to know since one day I wish to play city folk since I havent at all. You have gotten it to run on steam deck?

I wanna play city folk on emulator cause the mouse is perfect replacement or better than wiimote, steam deck sounds awesome

I haven’t played City Folk, only Wild World, but I think the common consensus is that City Folk’s is worse. For one, whenever you talk to a villager, for a while, they’ll only talk about that subject on subsequent attempts to start a conversation. There’s also the fact that City Folk’s dialogue is when people think villagers started getting too nice. There’s still moments when snooty and cranky villagers especially will be mean, but not nearly as much. Actually, I think some people say that City Folk’s villager dialogue is even worse than later games. I guess I would say that Wild World is better in this department.

in new leaf i felt that my conversations were ok until I did anything that would cause them to be upset, no matter what I did, It was always the same feeling where I didnt really care of the consequences. Some dumb lady bear moved in on this small strip of land blocking my nice path and I did everything to try and get her to move but she just wouldnt. Each day Id hit her with my net and each day shed be smiling back as if it never happened. I looked up google images of this animal and theres cartoons of people trying to get rid of her lol

In NH you can do no wrong.

I still want to think city folk can have potential

Wild World and City Folk are starkly different when it comes to dialogue. Wild World's dialogue is more similar to the GameCube game, where villagers can be very rude at times (but also more entertaining in general). Wild World doesn't have as much name-calling and blatant insults as the GameCube game, but it can still seem mean-spirited at times. And of course, it can be bizarre and funny, too.

City Folk marked the beginning of the villagers being nicer in general (a trend that has continued in newer games). More nice, less spice. 😛 So the dialogue definitely feels more bland compared to the first two games. But I think what people complain about most is the dialogue system, where you don't get a random topic every time you speak with someone repeatedly. Instead, they will stay on one topic until you see them again later (after a couple minutes have passed, or after you have entered and exited a building). This is particularly frustrating if you're trying to save a villager from moving, and you have to wait a few minutes to try again (it can take many attempts to change their mind).

So yeah, City Folk is one of the weaker AC games for dialogue (though I think it's still better than New Horizons in that respect). But there is one strong element of the dialogue, in my opinion: The villager-to-villager dialogue (that you can eavesdrop on) is still top-tier. Even though villagers don't insult the player much in City Folk, they can insult each other. And it results in some highly entertaining conversations.

Wild World and City Folk are starkly different when it comes to dialogue. Wild World's dialogue is more similar to the GameCube game, where villagers can be very rude at times (but also more entertaining in general). Wild World doesn't have as much name-calling and blatant insults as the GameCube game, but it can still seem mean-spirited at times. And of course, it can be bizarre and funny, too.

City Folk marked the beginning of the villagers being nicer in general (a trend that has continued in newer games). More nice, less spice. 😛 So the dialogue definitely feels more bland compared to the first two games. But I think what people complain about most is the dialogue system, where you don't get a random topic every time you speak with someone repeatedly. Instead, they will stay on one topic until you see them again later (after a couple minutes have passed, or after you have entered and exited a building). This is particularly frustrating if you're trying to save a villager from moving, and you have to wait a few minutes to try again (it can take many attempts to change their mind).

So yeah, City Folk is one of the weaker AC games for dialogue (though I think it's still better than New Horizons in that respect). But there is one strong element of the dialogue, in my opinion: The villager-to-villager dialogue (that you can eavesdrop on) is still top-tier. Even though villagers don't insult the player much in City Folk, they can insult each other. And it results in some highly entertaining conversations.
ohhh, well thats not That bad, it would be worse if it were like every 6 hours or something and feel like coddling. Honestly I wouldnt mind entering or leaving a building to earn their stay.

ur making me want the game more and reinforcing my desire.

I have to get a new motherboard and cpu for my computer to handle the game, ive already tried and it stutters at slightly below 60fps. I ended up turning the game off

I also want to know since one day I wish to play city folk since I havent at all. You have gotten it to run on steam deck?

I wanna play city folk on emulator cause the mouse is perfect replacement or better than wiimote, steam deck sounds awesome
Both City Folk and Population Growing run great on it! I’ve been really enjoying going back, plus the track pad makes Wii control a lot better
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for this breakdown! I’m considering sticking with wild world and GameCube then for snark aha. Really appreciate the dialogue tree system in wild world and it was my first game in the series as a kid.

Also, huge fan, been watching your channel for years and still do, got all giddy seeing your name on the thread!

Both City Folk and Population Growing run great on it! I’ve been really enjoying going back, plus the track pad makes Wii control a lot better
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for this breakdown! I’m considering sticking with wild world and GameCube then for snark aha. Really appreciate the dialogue tree system in wild world and it was my first game in the series as a kid.

Also, huge fan, been watching your channel for years and still do, got all giddy seeing your name on the thread!
oh cool I didnt know he was a youtuber, im gona stop by

Back