• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Able Sisters Discussion

[If this was addressed somewhere else, please point me in the correct direction! I tried to search and find it but came up short.]

I have a question about how patterns are stored in NL, and if it's the similar to how the patterns worked in CF and WW.

If you have every available space in your patterns storage filled, and you upload a QR code pattern, you would have to erase an old pattern and replace it with the QR code pattern, right? When you do that, will it then replace that pattern throughout your town, e.g. if it was part of a path pattern, would the old pattern disappear and be replaced with the new pattern on your path?

This is how WW and CF worked, and I'm sure that NL will be similar, but I would appreciate confirmation. I found a path I really like, so within my first few days I want to lay down paths throughout my town in a way that I can upload these QR codes eventually and have them seamlessly replace the "placeholder" paths.

tl;dr: will new patterns overwrite existing patterns everywhere in your town?

okay my question is just like this but i want to elaborate, some paths have corners, borders, etc and therefore have many different spaces. however you can only hold 9 in your pocket. i have 2 full paths taking up my entire design pocket right now, and they are in my town. i tried saving them a the Able Sisters to get more paths/designs in my pocket, but when i did, it changed the paths in my town to the designs i put in my pocket. does that mean we can't have multiple designs in our town unless they are currently in our pocket? 

okay my question is just like this but i want to elaborate, some paths have corners, borders, etc and therefore have many different spaces. however you can only hold 9 in your pocket. i have 2 full paths taking up my entire design pocket right now, and they are in my town. i tried saving them a the Able Sisters to get more paths/designs in my pocket, but when i did, it changed the paths in my town to the designs i put in my pocket. does that mean we can't have multiple designs in our town unless they are currently in our pocket? 

I believe you are right. I've had this happen too so really the best pathways to use are the ones with no sides (corners and such). On top of that you need to keep that pattern in your pocket and not overwrite it.

You can create new residents for your town to hold your town paths. I use a design with corners, and I needed to make two mules to hold all the path patterns.

I have a maid dress pattern I want to share but I just started so I dont know how to get the QR function. Can anyone tell me?

oMyMo9s.jpg

Talk to Sable for a little over a week straight and you should get the QR machine :)

Sable finally unlocked the QR code sewing machine in my town - yay. However, when I scan clothing designs in... I am unable to wear them [?] When I select it (while @ the Able Sisters), the options are either: (1) Erase (2) Quit. I also can lay them down as a pattern in town or use them as wallpaper/flooring/etc. in my house, but I can't wear them...?

Isn't that the point of sharing QR clothing codes? :\
Is there something I'm missing?

/derp
Nevermind - I was wearing the wetsuit while trying to troubleshoot this; that was the issue. :p

Last edited:
I have a question about transparency, is there a special color that would display it or do you just have to do skin tone? :x

There is no transparency. You have to match it to the skin tone. I find that using 1 or 2 on the "Pink" pallet matches well for the starter skin tone. My character hasn't tanned so I'm not sure what color matches darker characters yet.

Wondering if other people experience this/ was this in past games?

I've never actually made paths before for my town so this is my first go-about so sorry if this is a newbie question... I made up my path and decided to add borders to the edge because I found it appealing, but now the graphic "hiccups" in the middle and makes a black/grey line that appears/ changes as you move around. It doesn't happen when you do the sides, but only the top and bottom.

If you get in the *right* spot for a picture it can go away, but it really annoys me. I've QR'd other random patterns with borders to make sure it wasn't mine and they all do this.

Is this something I'll have to live with if I decide to do edges like this? (I'll probably just remove them and eventually make some sort of straight brick pattern with edges in that case to hide it.)

Pattern without the borders to the left and pattern with the borders to the right - see the line where the two tiles touch?
HNI_0071_zpsc5387ea5.jpg

Whitened out the pattern and just left the borders to highlight.
HNI_0078_zps6b4972f0.jpg

Is this something I'll have to live with if I decide to do edges like this? (I'll probably just remove them and eventually make some sort of straight brick pattern with edges in that case to hide it.)

It's not just you, I have the same glitch with my path. I have a three patterned wide one, so it's very noticeable. The only way you won't see these glitches is if you stick with one patterned wide path.

I don't know the answer to the paths glitch. I don't even use paths so I don't know about the glitch.

Would anyone be interested in any of my QR Codes/designs? They're sorta basic but they're okay. I made a wedding dress too. xD

i finally unlocked the qr machine...i found a picture of what i want but can someone tell me how to get a qr code for it?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for shading or making textures on clothing like ruffles or shaded ribbons etc?

I've tried making a few designs and they just don't look anywhere near as good as some of the Japanese QR clothing I've downloaded. I'm trying to experiment with better shading and details like ruffles but it never comes out looking right.

I'm posting this question after searching everywhere online and not coming up with anything except for a video link on BidoofCrossing Tumblr that unfortunately didn't help me very much. :(

I feel so dumb but, how are you guys making such nice dresses and clothes? I'm not bad with pixel art, but I don't know where to start when making these. I remember the game had some default bases in the first 3 slots which sadly I have overwritten by this point with designs from QR codes that I liked. But even then, those didn't help me much.

Are there any tutorials on how to pixel these dresses in-game? Any good bases to start off from? I would so appreciate any help. I've been searching Google, Tumblr and these forums for several days sure that I'm missing it somewhere but can't find anything. Thanks in advance!

Not sure if it has happened to anyone else...But my laptop apparently refuses to read my SD card, meaning I've got no way of uploading my QR codes. Does anyone know of another way to upload them, directly from the 3DS?

I don't know about directly uploading from the 3ds to computer but you could invest about $10-15 in a USB SD card reader. I spend $10 on a DIGIPOWER multi card reader. It reads any card you can throw at it.

@maplenut
All it takes is practice. Many people use the aid of a picture to reference when making a dress/shirt or whatever (which is what I mainly do). Try out something simple and go from there. Remember shadows and highlights. These will be your friend when trying to make great patterns.

To make the folded skirt part of the dress, many people will use the main color on 2 or 3 columns followed by either a darker colored column or lighter. Experiment with it for a while and you will learn where your pixels need to go and what colors they need to be. Again, don't be afraid to use a reference!

Last edited:
Back