• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[ A New Job, A New Life ] - day 2 (part 2)

Melyora

Yora of Lorelin
Bells
Red Cosmos
Lump of Coal
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Orange Mote of Flame
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Classic Easter Egg
Cake
Blue Feather
Off I went again, and spent the next hours hunting bugs, of which there were few in the winter. In the end, I caught a mole cricket (that annoying critter had me digging holes like a maniac!), a bagworm and a bee. The bees! Crap, those were scary. I was trying to collect some apples to sell for my down payment, and down fell a beehive with a cloud of angry bees! I ran and ran, and they wouldn’t stop chasing! Cousteau saw me coming and yelped. “RUUUUUUUUUN!” he shouted and ran the other way. So far Felicity’s ‘we help each other out’…
I got cornered by some trees and the bees were still coming after me! When I couldn’t think of anything else, I quickly grabbed my net and wildly shook it through to air. “Go away, you bees!” I swished this way and that through the cloud of bees, which seemed to deter them.
Finally they went away. As I was catching my breath, I noticed something buzzing in my net. A bee had gotten stuck! Quickly I took once of my plastic jars (a gift from Timmy or Tommy when I bought the net) and scooped up the bee. Maybe Blathers could use this little guy.

I am not a great fisherwoman. I only caught two fish in the river and didn’t spot any other ones. Groucho saw me fishing and came over. “Mayor! How is it going?” I told him I had no luck fishing and that I was trying to help Blathers out at the Museum. “Oh, that good of you to say!” Groucho said. “I believe Redd has set up his art gallery at the Town Plaza.” “Art gallery?” I asked. “Well,” he replied. “Sort of. Redd comes by weekly and sells pieces of art. But he also carries counterfeits. Usually there is something good in his collection, if you know what to look for. But I have no eye for it, and that finnicky fox has a way to talk me into buying stuff. I’m not going there anymore, but maybe you could take a look and try your luck!” I thanked Groucho for the suggestion. After half an hour of no fish biting, I decided to give this task up.
I headed back to the Museum and gave Blathers the insects and fish. How adorable, he almost started to cry for having a donation to the Museum.

I visited Retail to sell my apples and the beehive, but still didn’t have enough Bells for my down payment. Reese felt sorry for me. “Oh, Melyora… Let me tell you something. Have you seen the rocks in town? Somehow, this town spawns some special rocks,” she told me. “I don’t know exactly how, but a new rock appears everyday that has some sort of special gem inside. Most are worth 2,000 Bells, so I think it will be worth your while!” I thanked her for the suggestion, and the coffee she had kindly made, and went off again into the white world.

Turns out that rocks do more than that. The rock that was placed right before Francine’s house shattered and revealed a ruby, which Reese gladly bought for 2,000 Bells. But another rock I hit dropped a bag of coins! Nana walked close by when it happened and shouted: “Keep hitting it, mayor! Quickly!” Prompted by her, I hit and hit and hit the rock, until no more bags dropped. Nana had walked over in the meantime. “That’s great, mayor!” she congratulated me. “You’re really lucky! These rocks are pretty rare, but if you keep hitting them, they drop loads of Bells!” She helped me pick up the bags and handed them to me. “Oof!” I said when I weighed them in my hands. “How much is this?” “I’m not sure,” Nana said. “I’ve never been lucky enough to have it drop this much. I got 4,000 Bells a few months ago, but haven’t gotten any since.” 4,000?! I started to smile. With this I would have enough to get my down payment at Tom Nooks.
After thanking Nana, and she also made me promise to visit her soon, I almost ran to Tom Nook to finally get my house built!

View attachment 237521

That went over without an hitch, and I even had money to spare! The money rock had spewed up 15,000 Bells, which meant I was now swimming in Bells! Not literally, but I felt quite content. With my pocket full of cash, I decided to see what Groucho had meant with the finnicky fox.

And long live mobile phones! Redd turned out to be the sly fox Groucho had described him to be, but thanks to online art appraisals I was able to find a real work of art in his collections. After paying for it, Redd told me it would be delivered to my home tomorrow.

The day was turning darker now and I was started to feel tired. Who knew that being mayor involved running around after insects?
So I went home and put my stuff away in the tent. From my backpack I happened upon my stack of cloudy paper. Smiling, a grabbed a pen and few sheets wrote a few letters. First, to Francine to thank her for this morning and that I’d love to visit again soon. Secondly, to Nana, for helping me out to pay for my house. I remembered the Post Office being at Main Street. Putting on my new, warm, gray parka I went out again for a stroll with a beautiful sunset. At the Post Office I met Pelly who helped me send my mail. Pete would deliver them as soon as possible, she told me. Probably some time tomorrow. Smilingly, she told me to expect some mail back very soon, as the people around here loved to get and sent out letters. After whishing her a good evening I walked outside again and began to walk to my tent.

It had been another busy day in Wildwood. Surprising myself, I felt content as I walked through the town as it became darker and darker. Wildwood is peaceful little town, and the villagers all seem very welcoming to me. I see the light shining through Francine’s window as I walk past. I think I made some friends today. Hopefully I can get to know everyone better very soon and become the real mayor of Wildwood.

Attachments

• HNI_0095.JPG
    HNI_0095.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 31
Back