• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

3D or not 3D? That is the question...

3D or not 3D?

• Total voters
I've never had a problem with the 3D giving me a headache or eyestrain. I always play with the 3D on so will most likely do so with New Leaf.

I play with it on most of the time, but not with it all the way up all the time. - I only turn it off if I'm playing in the car or something, sat still in my living room I'm fine with it for hours.

Sometimes on, sometimes off. It's absolutely gorgeous with the 3D on, but it does hurt my head. I can handle it for short stretched so I do play with it on from time to time.

I will definitely be using the 3D! Except at night before bed that is, I've found that the 3d isn't usually great for tired eyes :p

Joining in on the headache crew. I turned on the 3D right away and ended up with a horrible headache. I do like how it looks, minus some of the jagged features here and there.

G
I will definitely be using the 3D! Except at night before bed that is, I've found that the 3d isn't usually great for tired eyes :p

yeh, that's because your eyes will be straining more than normal >.<
I always find I'm at the wrong angle to use the 3D in bed anyway.

Im only interested in trying the 3D mode on whenever the snow starts falling. Also when the cherry blossoms blow in the wind, I bet it looks nice lol.

3D, it is in my opinion, that the 3d makes it look better, it was after all intended to be in 3d.

I love the depth the 3D adds.
Games look much more crisp in 3D. Not sure how people could say it looks better with 3D off.

Guess their eyes can't handle all the awesomeness.

i use the 3D every once and awhile but most of the time it is off. I turn it on in cool areas like running in a heavily forested area or running upward on the beach. I wish the 3D was EVEN MORE intense... It doesn't do anything but make the trees and buildings higher and make the things in the distance more... Distant. Fire Emblem has really intense 3D and I loved it, but this game isnt really the case :/

Overall, it doesn't impress me enough to force me into the discomfort of having the 3DS in the PERFECT position... So I leave it off.

When I get the game I don't plan on playing in 3D all the time, it messes with my eyes and is just overall not as comfortable an experience. If I fidget even slightly while playing it's completely distorted.

I will definitely turn the 3D on for brief moments of time though just when I want to see something in 3D but it'll go off again for proper play.

Unless the 3D in new leaf is hugely improved on the 3D in other games and it doesn't bother my eyes....but I doubt it.

Intesting i never once gotten a headache from the 3D and normally takes about an hour and a half before my eyes begin to get tired from having to focus so much, but no headaches, also dont know why people say it does not add anything to the game's depth. If you honestly believe that then your only kidding yourself...

Of course it adds depth.
But they're talking about "depth" in terms of quality and clarity of graphics and the transition of pixels as they move.

It's fact that two 2D images making a 3D preceived image won't have the same quality as a single 2D image because you have conflicting values and colours for each pixel. Ie. two smooth/straight diagonal lines create a jagged step-like line, in turn, not appearing smooth or straight. Trust me, I've done a bunch of work on this at University.

It's all down to personal preference of course, but some people are more susceptible to certain effects than others.

I like to play games while laying on my back or side so my arms are constantly moving. There is no way I can keep my 3D on like that. It would just give me double images constantly.

Back