• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

GOTY 2017 Discussion

Stalfos

Topsoilers!
Bells
Switch
0228-5781-9216
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Holiday Candy Cane 2022
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Holiday Candy Cane 2020
Holiday Candy Cane 2019
Holiday Candy Cane 2018
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
2017 is coming to an end and it's been a great year as far as gaming is concerned. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild seems to be most critics pick for Game of the Year. Do you agree? What's your pick(s)?

Personally, I'd put The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in third. Great game, but I don't think it's anywhere near as perfect as most people seem to think. Controls can be overly complicated at times, the camera can be a real pain in the ass, overworld is very empty in some places and bosses and dungeons are just boring. But there are also moments of pure magic in the game. Like when the sun comes out after rainfall and it's light is reflected in the wet grass as you ride through it on your horse. Those moments make me forget all the negatives and are what BotW is all about to me.

In second place I'd put Super Mario Odyssey. I've seen a lot of people criticising Odyssey saying it lacks that Mario magic. They couldn't be further from the truth. I haven't had this much fun with a game in many years. Controls are spot on. Sure, some of the transformations control a bit iffy but it would just be weird if a T. Rex were as agile as Mario. The 2D murals are so much fun I'd like to see a whole game with that kind of gameplay. The only thing that really bothered me was the New Donkers and their dead faces. It was fine as long as they were confined to New Donk City but when they started spreading to other kingdoms it started to annoy me.

My pick for Game of the Year is Sonic Mania. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. I always loved the classic Sonic games (1, 2, 3 & K) and never managed to get into the modern Sonic games. And this is as classic as it gets. I love how the game plays with your expectations and adds stuff from the more obscure games. This game has been called a passion project and it's not hard to see that the people who made this game are fans themselves. On the downside, the game was full of glitches. That has been fixed now but even with all glitches, Sonic Mania would still be my GOTY. It's just that good.

1. Sonic Mania
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

hmmm of those i've only played Breath of the Wild so far, so it would have to be my game of the year by default, but I do find it to be a Masterpiece and worthy of the GotY tag...

Oh boy I've been waiting for this
Before I start, I still have yet to play Nier Automata and Super Mario Odyssey which I've heard excellent things about both of those games, so I can't include them.
Anyways I'm gonna spoiler this since this is going to be a wall of a post.
3) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I'm a bit hesitant on placing this since this game is so new and I'm still in the middle of playing it but it has been a great experience so far. It's one of the few RPG's I've played where I genuinely enjoy every single party member (something I can't say about even Bravely Default which I adore). Every area is just as unique and distinguishable as you'd expect from a Xenoblade game. The music is generally great, although the environmental themes are a tad bland with Mor Ardain and the Old Factory being the exceptions. The story always has something happening and something to look forward to, so there aren't many dull moments. The game overall doesn't really have anything new or unique about it; it's a solid game that does what has worked in the previous games in the series and that sometimes is the best way to make a game.

2) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Fire Emblem has gotten so much this year and it's a bit strange how the only actual FE game got the least attention. With that said, it is vastly different from a standard FE game, but with the exact opposite of what I just said about XC2, having a game try something new once in a while is good too! Well... new for anyone outside of Japan that is, since this game is a 3DS remake of an NES game. Alm's route is closer to a standard FE experience with mostly open fields and a castle or fort map every now and then with almost no gimmicks. Celica's route is endless gimmicks that were for the most part never used or sparingly used in other FE games. But I had much more fun playing on Celica's path since this entire game was made to be different from other FE's, and that's what Celica's path focuses on. The music variety was a bit low for a standard FE game (which again is understandable as it's an NES game with several gallons of glitter poured onto it to make it presentable in 2017), but even after beating the game, every song is enjoyable to listen to and the few songs that the game has contain some of the best music in FE. The story is basic and predictable but the game is purely fun to play. This game also has some of the best voice acting I've heard ever. Most of that can be credited towards Ian Sinclair as Berkut, but hearing the interactions between almost every character felt genuine and were a joy to listen to.

1) Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
This was the only non-Nintendo game I played this year but wow does it take my #1 spot by far (can I retroactively nominate this as my GOTY for every year in the last decade too pls&ty). I started off this year not even knowing a third game was coming out and the only knowledge I knew of the series was from an LP I watched in 2014 or so of the first game. I decided to finally start playing the series this year, and the fact that V3 was coming out just happened to be a coincidence, so I got to play all 3 games for my first time back-to-back. The first one wasn't as great as it probably could've been since I remembered most of the major plot points from the LP I watched, but the experience and re-discovering everything in between the major events was still great. The second game was I guess my first "true" experience as I had been spoiled on some things, but the majority of the game was a blind run for me. It was just as great as what most people have said about it. Then it was time for V3, which I went in completely blind. I didn't expect the game to be so amazing from start to finish. The story tried to separate itself from the first 2 games which was a good call I think. The characters were the best in the series by far in every way (personality, design, uniqueness, etc). The music was the best as well; the trial music was for the most part remixed or updated versions of the songs used in the first 2 games. Where the music really shines though is outside of the trials because the game can play a song such as Clair de Lune or Moon on the Water for 2 seconds and that's enough to turn you into an emotional wreck (it doesn't help that Clair de Lune was used in some Amazon commercial a few months back, so I could be walking around my house completely fine then hear the song play on some TV in a different room on the other side of the house and I'd immediately tense up). The 1 thing that is extremely controversial is the ending which is a love it or hate it case, and personally I'm more on the side of "I see what they were trying to do with the ending and I appreciate that, but they could've handled it a lot better." But even if you don't like the ending you can just pretend that it doesn't exist and everything before that was the actual game and have it end abruptly on something along the lines of "and they all lived happily ever after inside the academy." Anyways, I've never felt this many emotions playing any other game ever (actually this game may have been the first time I've felt that many emotions ever, even outside of gaming) and I don't think I'll ever forget this game and my experiences with it.
Also:
Bot_W_doesn_t_deserve_GOTY.jpg

Oh boy I've been waiting for this
Before I start, I still have yet to play Nier Automata and Super Mario Odyssey which I've heard excellent things about both of those games, so I can't include them.
Anyways I'm gonna spoiler this since this is going to be a wall of a post.
3) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I'm a bit hesitant on placing this since this game is so new and I'm still in the middle of playing it but it has been a great experience so far. It's one of the few RPG's I've played where I genuinely enjoy every single party member (something I can't say about even Bravely Default which I adore). Every area is just as unique and distinguishable as you'd expect from a Xenoblade game. The music is generally great, although the environmental themes are a tad bland with Mor Ardain and the Old Factory being the exceptions. The story always has something happening and something to look forward to, so there aren't many dull moments. The game overall doesn't really have anything new or unique about it; it's a solid game that does what has worked in the previous games in the series and that sometimes is the best way to make a game.

2) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Fire Emblem has gotten so much this year and it's a bit strange how the only actual FE game got the least attention. With that said, it is vastly different from a standard FE game, but with the exact opposite of what I just said about XC2, having a game try something new once in a while is good too! Well... new for anyone outside of Japan that is, since this game is a 3DS remake of an NES game. Alm's route is closer to a standard FE experience with mostly open fields and a castle or fort map every now and then with almost no gimmicks. Celica's route is endless gimmicks that were for the most part never used or sparingly used in other FE games. But I had much more fun playing on Celica's path since this entire game was made to be different from other FE's, and that's what Celica's path focuses on. The music variety was a bit low for a standard FE game (which again is understandable as it's an NES game with several gallons of glitter poured onto it to make it presentable in 2017), but even after beating the game, every song is enjoyable to listen to and the few songs that the game has contain some of the best music in FE. The story is basic and predictable but the game is purely fun to play. This game also has some of the best voice acting I've heard ever. Most of that can be credited towards Ian Sinclair as Berkut, but hearing the interactions between almost every character felt genuine and were a joy to listen to.

1) Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
This was the only non-Nintendo game I played this year but wow does it take my #1 spot by far (can I retroactively nominate this as my GOTY for every year in the last decade too pls&ty). I started off this year not even knowing a third game was coming out and the only knowledge I knew of the series was from an LP I watched in 2014 or so of the first game. I decided to finally start playing the series this year, and the fact that V3 was coming out just happened to be a coincidence, so I got to play all 3 games for my first time back-to-back. The first one wasn't as great as it probably could've been since I remembered most of the major plot points from the LP I watched, but the experience and re-discovering everything in between the major events was still great. The second game was I guess my first "true" experience as I had been spoiled on some things, but the majority of the game was a blind run for me. It was just as great as what most people have said about it. Then it was time for V3, which I went in completely blind. I didn't expect the game to be so amazing from start to finish. The story tried to separate itself from the first 2 games which was a good call I think. The characters were the best in the series by far in every way (personality, design, uniqueness, etc). The music was the best as well; the trial music was for the most part remixed or updated versions of the songs used in the first 2 games. Where the music really shines though is outside of the trials because the game can play a song such as Clair de Lune or Moon on the Water for 2 seconds and that's enough to turn you into an emotional wreck (it doesn't help that Clair de Lune was used in some Amazon commercial a few months back, so I could be walking around my house completely fine then hear the song play on some TV in a different room on the other side of the house and I'd immediately tense up). The 1 thing that is extremely controversial is the ending which is a love it or hate it case, and personally I'm more on the side of "I see what they were trying to do with the ending and I appreciate that, but they could've handled it a lot better." But even if you don't like the ending you can just pretend that it doesn't exist and everything before that was the actual game and have it end abruptly on something along the lines of "and they all lived happily ever after inside the academy." Anyways, I've never felt this many emotions playing any other game ever (actually this game may have been the first time I've felt that many emotions ever, even outside of gaming) and I don't think I'll ever forget this game and my experiences with it.
Also:
Bot_W_doesn_t_deserve_GOTY.jpg

Now that I've played Odyssey, I think I would put it at 4th. It doesn't QUITE make it to top 3 but it was still fantastic.
And to make a nice and even top 5, I guess I'll put ARMS at 5th.

tbt can u stop glitching out pls&ty

Last edited:
Back