• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villager spacing?

Drokmar

Overall, a pretty rad guy
Bells
Isabelle
Hey, everyone!

I was Just wondering exactly how much free space I need for a villager to move in. I want them to move into a specific spot and I need to know how much space I need. Thanks in advance!

Their house takes up a 3x3 space, and from there, you need a 1-square buffer all around that isn't touching anything else, so it's technically closer to 5x5. The door, like many doors, will also have an extra square of buffer in front of it.

A path won't interfere with any buffer squares (though the path square directly in front of the door will be erased once the villager actually moves in). Rocks and PWPs will interfere with the buffer zones, as will other villager/player homes and THEIR buffer squares. It's why villagers are always AT LEAST 2 spaces apart from one another, and why you can't get villager or player homes too close to PWPs, that also come with THEIR own buffer squares. It's slightly annoying, but it keeps things from getting too cramped and accidentally trapping things in an area.

Also keep in mind that your town is divided into "acres" of land, and you can't place too many buildings close to one another, even if you DO technically have enough space. I think it's three major buildings (cafe, villager house, player house, police station, re-tail, etc) per acre.

Back