• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I don't know how this works I just want some art criticism

Bells
So I tried drawing my boi Kanye to the West, and i mean it looks like him but it looks like a beginners police sketch of Yeezy. Now gimme your advice you art connoisseurs. Be as critical as needed IMG_0441.jpg

Last edited:
first off wtf why would you draw kanye, that's weird asf.
second of all that's not how you draw a face, the structure is unsymmetrical.
the eyes aren't too good.
the ears aren't right.
the eyebrows are good.
the lips are alright.

I'm not an artist but as a viewer, one thing that would make it look better to me is darker lines. It's a bit too light. And maybe add more texture all around like on the hairs and lips :) Otherwise I say just practice cuz that's pretty good, in my unprofessional opinion.

This is a really great start!
- I'd probably say the head needs to be a bit more rounded?
- The ears are a little high - they should start from the bottom of the nose and end at the centre of the eye. You should also try to add the lines in the ears, but they're quite tricky to do
- The lips don't have a whole lot of definition, try to add more shading from the centre of the lips outwards with your pencil!
- The eyebrows could be a little longer towards the centre of the face, as usually eyebrows come a little further than the edge of the eye
- The nose is a bit too wide at the nostrils, just make it a little smaller next time!
- The eyes are a bit oddly shaped, try to imagine eyes as a pointed oval. Also, usually the bottom of the iris is a little higher than the lower eyelid, instead of squished inbetween the two.
- You could also add some shading to the face in general, even if its just cell shade - it adds a lot of definition to your work!

Hope I could help! :D

Last edited:
Anatomy is hell. I can't get good anatomy on my sculptures, so I dread to imagine how hard it is to do on a flat, 2D surface.

Looks like a mugshot, though.

Hey not too bad for a beginner, I could tell right away it was Kanye West. I'd give you in depth criticism but I am just too pooped to do it right now

One thing I will say is to sketch lighter with your pencil, and erase some of that thicker line work. As I look at the drawing I get the feeling you held the pencil down to the paper a bit too hard. The ears need to be bigger and they need a lot more detail. Work on the lips a lot more, they look too cartoon-y right now. Shading will help define the lips, but definitely lighten up the line work before shading them. The eyes could be fine-tuned as well, look closer at the shape of the eye in the reference photo you're working from. No eye is perfectly football shaped. The irises look a little large, and the eyebrows look a little too small. The forehead as well could be a bit taller. Give the man a neck!

Use a range of pencils from soft to hard, soft giving you your darkest darks (like, 8B pencil). And erase to get the lightest lights/highlights.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also his head seems a bit too pointy, make it more subtle

Back