• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you a Pacifist?

Are you?

• Total voters
I think world peace is unrealistic because humans are so prone to violence. Whether or not I'm a pacifist really depends on other people. If they don't want to fight, I won't, but if they want a fight I'll give them a war.

Definitely yes, especially towards war. They are pointless and do nothing but cause suffering to us. There are more mature ways to solve problems.

I have never been in a physical fight and hope I never will. I am not strong, nor big so tbh I'd be creamed within seconds. I hope to be sly and sneaky and good with knives in the future so I can be badass if I am ever in trouble but I could never hurt someone physically I don't think.

99% of the time, yes. War is stupid and pointless and doesn't solve anything. Resolving political differences through warfare kinda seems like nuking an anthill to me. Oh, we can't agree on who gets this territory, so let's get our citizens to kill each other savagely until one side can't take it any more.

Kinda ********, right?

I believe in armed neutrality. Never should you get involved in wars, but if you're attacked and need to defend, then I think that's acceptable.

To be against war or fighting in general for its own sake is ideal, but not all conflicts can be solved with words alone. Being pacifist in all situations regardless of severity is tantamount to suicide. We should strive never to be the aggressor and/or instigator, but you have to take situations as they come and weigh them by their own individual merits. People want the world to be black and white but it's very gray.

To answer the poll, while I have no hunger for violence, sometimes you are pressed and it is the only avenue available. As such, no, I can't say I'm a pacifist. It's very unfortunate that it's like this, but shying away from the ugly aspects of human nature doesn't help anything. You have to face it head on and, as the quote goes, be the change that you wish to see in the world. If you want a world without hate, violence, and war you have to put forth the effort.

Kind of? I mean I would like to avoid war and violence as much as possible, but if something happened to me personally and my only way out was violence you bet your butt I'd use it. I don't WANT anybody to be hurt but if it has to happen then it has to happen, like most people have said it's pretty circumstantial.

i cant be a pacifist because i love drama, except when its hurting people i care about..

No. It's a nice thought and it would be great if the whole world were pacifists when it comes to wars...but they're not :(

I used to be very sure that I was a pacifist, 10+ years ago, but now I'm not so sure it's black and white.

Last edited:
Wait, so you can't be for self-defense if you're a pacifist?

A true pacifist's ideals are that all violence is unjustifiable and wrong, that all confrontations can be solved peacefully. If you want to see a popular example of this in media, look at Morgan from The Walking Dead. Sorry for spoilers ahead, but in that show, Morgan refused to kill even after people attacked their group. It would have been for self defence, but he thought he could resolve the issue without resorting to violence.

Last edited:
A true pacifist's ideals are that all violence is unjustifiable and wrong. If you want to see a popular example of this in media, look at Morgan from The Walking Dead. Sorry for spoilers ahead, but in that show, Morgan refused to kill even after people attacked their group.

Ah, thanks. I guess I wouldn't be able to call myself a "true" pacifist then. At some point you gotta fight back. I don't think violence is ever the solution to anything but when you're running out of options you gotta pick the least bad one.

I do like Morgan though, he just needs to get his act together. :p

Ah, thanks. I guess I wouldn't be able to call myself a "true" pacifist then. At some point you gotta fight back. I don't think violence is ever the solution to anything but when you're running out of options you gotta pick the least bad one.

I do like Morgan though, he just needs to get his act together. :p

:) Pacifism is a good idea in a perfect world, but in our world, it just isn't realistic. You can have the values of a pacifist, but not be 100% one. As someone said, it isn't just black and white, there are grey areas. And yes, I do like Morgan too. He'll get over that whole thing eventually. I hope, at least lol :)

I don't like violence, but I think there are situations were it's necessary. So I guess not.

Back