• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

questions for people with multiple towns

cass.

Bells
Switch
7686-5347-7976
Mailbox
i've been thinking about getting a second copy of the game from the eshop (i have a cartridge atm). i have quite a few villagers that i really like, so 10 villager slots is kinda a small amount. plus i just think it'd be fun since i really enjoy getting my town set up, and i'm basically done doing that with my newly reset town. except for the aproximately 200 bushes i have left to plant, but i digress. (dream address in my sig if you wanna take a look)

my questions are;
do you stick to physical copies for different towns, or one (or more cartridge) and an eshop version?
what do you use your second (or more) towns for?
is it as good of an idea as you thought it was, at the time? (pay a lot more attention to one vs the other, etc.)
do you ever forget that you're in the wrong town when you're looking for something? (furniture, buildings, etc.)
feel free to talk about other experiences too!

i think i know what i'd name my second town and mayor already as well.

Last edited:
I have eight active towns. Seven are cartridges, one download. I love having multiple towns and have never regretted my decision. I have carefully structured visiting each one so that no one ends up gone or in boxes. This has improved dramatically since the update. Nintendo has no idea the enormous favor they did me by extending the move out time frame to ten days. I guess I visit each town about twice a week. I have no idea which town I will spend the most time working on. It just sort of unfolds organically depending on what happens to inspire or motivate me at any particular time. Oftentimes I will go on a town just to check for a pinger and end up spending hours there. If you love Animal Crossing, I highly suggest getting yourself another town. The only thing better than ten neighbors is rightly neighbors. As a matter of fact, I still have two more physical games I haven't even started up yet. One the inspiration takes hold, I will make anther town.

whoa. being able to keep up with 8 active towns is amazing. i think i'd keep mine at 2, maybe 3 if i ever found a cheap physical copy, but my third would probably just be a mess-around town haha. having a couple towns seems like it would keep my chronic TTing at a lower amount. sometimes i TT 10+ days in a single real life day.

I have eight active towns. Seven are cartridges, one download. I love having multiple towns and have never regretted my decision. I have carefully structured visiting each one so that no one ends up gone or in boxes. This has improved dramatically since the update. Nintendo has no idea the enormous favor they did me by extending the move out time frame to ten days. I guess I visit each town about twice a week. I have no idea which town I will spend the most time working on. It just sort of unfolds organically depending on what happens to inspire or motivate me at any particular time. Oftentimes I will go on a town just to check for a pinger and end up spending hours there. If you love Animal Crossing, I highly suggest getting yourself another town. The only thing better than ten neighbors is rightly neighbors. As a matter of fact, I still have two more physical games I haven't even started up yet. One the inspiration takes hold, I will make anther town.

eight active towns?! that's seriously impressive!

I have two copies (1 physical, 1 digital).

I got my digital copy first in 2013. I played that almost every day until 2014~15 and took a few hiatuses in between and never really played it consistently. During my first town hiatus I began playing my cartridge version as well, but by that time I lost interest in ACNL so I stopped playing both (I heavily time travelled in both of these towns). Thennn sometime in March I got into it again. I made a new town on my cartridge (didn't have the heart to restart my first town so I kept it and never played it) and played obsessively again. I got it to a "complete" stage right before 2017 (also from time travelling). Because I was interested in ACNL again with the new update and all, I wanted to start a new town on my digital version, so I restarted for the 1 year challenge. Now I don't TT at all, I just play day by day in both towns. It's the first time I'm able to keep up with both of my towns.

Long story short, with two towns (for me at least) I can only keep up with them if I play day by day and not time travel. I'll lose interest quickly or get overwhelmed if I TT. I'm super impressed by people who can keep up with more than two wahhh... I wish I could, because I have so many ideas for towns :(

I have 3 copies, two physical and one digital. My two physical copies have developed towns, and the third town was bought in the spur of the moment cause it was on sale in the e-shop. I only play my physical copies, but I intend to start my third town after I finish my 1st town. It's not really hard to manage 2 towns, as long as you make time for both towns. I usually play one town in the morning and the other town at night, granted each town is set to a different time and date for convenience. I'd advise not having both towns on the same day, since that would be incredibly overwhelming when participating in holiday events like the Harvest Festival. But yeah, having two towns is pretty great, if you have the time for it. Plus, it's convenient for resources (fruits, bushes, saplings, furniture), for when you have Katie roaming in town, and for when a villager wants a petition done. And the best part is having more villagers! c:

I have eight active towns. (snip) As a matter of fact, I still have two more physical games I haven't even started up yet. One the inspiration takes hold, I will make anther town.

Out of curiosity - do you play any other video games? I've noticed that people that tend to have the largest number of towns don't really play other video games.

I certainly couldn't if I had that many. I wouldn't have the time!

I personally have 2 towns (both physical). One I'm not actively playing and haven't played for a few years now. But it's where most of my stuff is and I'd rather not lose it. The second one I bought a few years ago and recently reset (a few days before New Years) so I could get back into AC and try out the update stuff. I plan to eventually make town 2 the main town and will be getting my items from town 1 into it. Town 1 will then probably become a cycling town so I can try to get all of the villagers I want.

I have two copies of the game, one physical from release day and one digital from last year. I regret buying digital. I have like zero room on my DS as it is and ended up having to delete it not long after I bought it because I had no space.

I have four cartridges, six if you count my hubby's towns that he no longer plays. All of my towns are actual towns. I don't do cycling towns or anything like that. But that would be the most logical thing to do with a second copy, at least until/unless you decide to work on a new town.

I have three towns, but only because my first town is basically complete, so I don't mind pushing it to the side for a while. It's not too hard to check in on two towns per day, but I find that one town does go unplayed if I'm heavily landscaping in the other, as I am right now in Flint. Once Flint is nearly done, I actually plan to start a fourth, but after that, I think I'll be content. I have found that I really enjoy having multiple towns, but only as long as they are all in different stages of development. Feldspar is basically done, Flint is in the PWP/landscaping portion, and Fallow is still in the hybriding and town planning stage.

I currently have 9 towns in play, all cartridges. One of them has not had the update and I enjoy it more than the others due to its basic simplicity but, sometimes, I miss the secret storage available in the others. The SS isn't really necessary but I'm quite the Pack Rat. Although ACNL is the only game I'm playing, it does get a bit tiresome. None of them get the time they should but I don't go for PWPs or any "collections". All natural towns and, if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. I always INTEND to create something different....Crap! Now I've forgotten something... EDIT: I forgot to mention that, with two towns on the same update status, all goods, trees, bells, whatever can be shared. This comes in handy if you're just starting a town and would rather have all tools and whatever than going through the grind of finding/buying them all over again. My #1 town (and others) have all of everything I could need/want so it's easy to quickly build a new town from scratch. That said, I like my un-updated town best. To do the sharing, two DSs are required for the necessary train rides.

Last edited:
i've been thinking about getting a second copy of the game from the eshop (i have a cartridge atm). i have quite a few villagers that i really like, so 10 villager slots is kinda a small amount. plus i just think it'd be fun since i really enjoy getting my town set up, and i'm basically done doing that with my newly reset town. except for the aproximately 200 bushes i have left to plant, but i digress. (dream address in my sig if you wanna take a look)

my questions are;
do you stick to physical copies for different towns, or one (or more cartridge) and an eshop version?
what do you use your second (or more) towns for?
is it as good of an idea as you thought it was, at the time? (pay a lot more attention to one vs the other, etc.)
do you ever forget that you're in the wrong town when you're looking for something? (furniture, buildings, etc.)
feel free to talk about other experiences too!

i think i know what i'd name my second town and mayor already as well.

I have two towns, two cartridges, and I use them as two different towns (I have a theme for each), I don't regret it but it takes time to pay attention to both, but I really enjoy it!
And yes, I often think I'm in the other town so I get kinda confused with my maps and villagers, but you'll get used to it :)

Last edited:
I have two, both physical copies and each have their own 3DS, though honestly, I haven't been really playing my first town since it's already developed so I'm focusing my time on the second. I only open the previous town to check if someone is moving out so I can stop them or whenever I need items and hybrid flowers.

I have 6 towns. Three physical and three digital copies.

When I started my 2nd town it wasn't real at the time. Used it for building snowpeople (it's easier with just a few trees), hosting Pave Day for my friends, growing weeds and later perfect fruit. It's now a real town that I play in everyday.

My main town gets played first and than I move to the next town. Than I move to my Guest town (2nd town) and play there.

Right now town 3 and 4 are stuck on the same date. I can still go in and play there by changing the clock to the frozen date. The museums and PWP are complete so I don't need to change it.

Town 5 and 6 are working on their bug collections before I start adding PWP. When I started Town 4 I went with late May and chopped down most of the trees. Caught the tarantula/scorpion and than started building PWP, planting trees and adding more flowers. It's easier to catch those bugs when there is less in town.

Found that having the towns in different seasons worked for me. Playing 3 to 4 bugs off would be too many events. It also helps to have the clock set so the towns wouldn't all be on a Saturday. One time I had 2 bug off and 1 fishing tournament in a day. That's too many. It also helps with turnip buying/selling. I've had a town on Sunday and high prices in one of my towns. Bought and sold turnips on the same day.

okay, so. i did end up buying a digital copy, and so far i'm real happy with how my second town is turning out.

got a pretty good map with all the major buildings in the north half, a place i can have a diagonal bridge cause i really like those and didn't really have a good spot for one in my first town, and the rocks aren't in absolutely horrible places. could be better, but nothing that's like "omg why". one house with a villager i want to keep actually landed in a spot that i have planned out for a house as well.

i'm really glad i have a gold axe to borrow from my other mayor.

as a last note- how do you people keep up with so many towns. holy.

Last edited:
I've got two towns, both are cartridges which I'd rather stick to having.

And what is, technically, my second copy is now my main town because the mayor is more in my "image" as opposed to my other- to which I'm still in the process of transferring some things to put into my old town. I am however, going to reset my first copy town so I can, in a way, start over but have the mayor named after a part of my online username and get some more dreamies (because the more villagers I'm introduced to, the more chance I'll get attached to some of them). I initially wanted to have a cycling town when I reset but then I decided against it. I might buy a third copy so I can have a cycling town but I think temporarily cycling when I reset before I obtain one dreamie for that town would be good enough for me.

Currently, I don't get my towns mixed up as one town has wooden like paths and the other has a green and blue mix of brick like paths.

Usually, I try to use my old town for finding items I need in my main one because it has T & T Emporium so I'm buying bushes en masse via TTing as well as breeding flowers too. I've got two more dreamies to transfer over into Space (my main town) but I need to put down some paths and qr codes and layout where houses are going to go after a couple of villagers move out. I've definitely learned from mistakes and will try to put down designs quick when I start over on my first copy.

When I get an early move out ping I quickly do any daily tasks and than end for the night.
I love the ping move when you walk out the door. I can than move on to the next town and play it.

Two of my digital copies were bought a month after the ACNL release. I've had no problems with those copies.
I never take the SD cards out of the 3 systems.

Back