• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How Much Could You Store In New Leaf

Captain James

Bells
Small Mailbox
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
There are thousands of items in New Leaf. But how can we hoard in the best way possible? Let's find out.

A fully expanded room is 8x8 tiles. There are 6 rooms in a fully expanded house. You can four houses in total, plus four rooms in the museum. There are also 8 additional spaces in Re-Tail and 1 space on Cyrus's table. So, you have a maximum of 397 spaces to place furniture. But that's only the furniture you can place. Each villager house is of the one room, 6x6 variety. Assuming each villager will use about 5 spaces for air, that's 310 more tiles for space. That brings us up to about 707 furniture tiles for any object. Now let's go into storage. Each villager can have 360 items in secret storage and 180 items in regular storage. That's 520 storage spaces. If you have 4 villagers, that's 1,080 storage spaces. There are also 40 slots available in the collection box from the island, and with 4 villagers, that's 160 items. That brings our storage space to 1,240 spaces to store anything. But wait! There's more! In the post office you can store 180 letters, so that's an additional 180 storage slots! That brings the total to 1,420 items! BUT WAIT! THERE'S EVEN MORE! Each player can hold 16 items along with 10 letter storage slots, which is 104 storage slots over 4 players! That makes the storage total 1,524 items available to store letters. The best part about this is, you can store all of these items without placing anything on the ground! So you can hoard without being messy outside, to look good when you throw that party of yours.

Grand Total:
Furniture Space: Roughly 707 Tiles
Storage Space: 1,524 Slots

I agree that there is a lot of storage, but it's spread out among multiple places. To have access to all the slots you need 4 villagers with upgraded houses, you need to storage letters at the post office, etc.

I want to just access all of my stuff in one place. I'd also like to not have to resort to making another character just to have more item and QR storage slots.

I consider storage space
the dresser the secret storage room the museum and my inventory the others aren't really great to organizing things ^^

Last edited:
I consider storage space
the dresser the secret storage room the museum and my inventory the others aren't really great to organizing things ^^

Same. I never store letters at the post office. And I don't like keeping things in the island box in case I want to go beetle hunting.

Same. I never store letters at the post office. And I don't like keeping things in the island box in case I want to go beetle hunting.

plus the island box can't be used to hold regular items ^^

ps there are also the police station slots some items go here automatically if a villager or a special character place their stand\house so in teory you can control and so use them too ^^

Last edited:
I always just go by closet space and now secret storage, plus the inventory. But that's still a lot of stuff to have!

I think your math is off. You can store up to 4*(16+10+(48*6)+180+360+180+40+1)+48*4+8+10 = 4,510 furniture items. I got the numbers from:

• The 4 multiplier is for each character you have.
  • The 16 is for your pocket space.
  • The 10 is for each letter in your inventory.
  • The 48*6 is for the 48 items you can store in each of the 6 rooms in your house.
  • The 180 is for your locker storage.
  • The 360 is for your secret storeroom.
  • The other 180 is for the letters you can store in the post office.
  • The 40 is for the island box.
  • The 1 is for each character's item that can be left with Cyrus.
  • The 48*4 is for the museum storage which all characters have to share.
  • The 8 is for Re-Tail.
  • The 10 is for the police station.
I didn't count villager houses since you can't just pull stuff out of their houses whenever you want. You can actually store more items overall since you can litter the floor of your house / museum with stuff like trash, carpets, wallpaper, etc. without it counting toward the 48 furniture limit. The clothes you're wearing and your carpet and wallpaper for each room could technically be added to the total if you want.

Seriously, why did I waste my time on this post?

Last edited:
that's a lot of space. i've never had to store items in letters, though

You can take your clothes to the island and strip down there and put them in the box. :eek:

yes but paying 1000 bells and loading the island for every single time I want to store clothes or accessories or even bells isn't practical at all XD plus the items I need more space for are all the others usually I don't have much clothing lying around but this is just me XD

Last edited:
Ha. I have the storage thing down. I have a notebook with my 3 characters and there storage space (pre update). One character holds all unorderable and special clothes. One character holds all unorderable sets and one character holds all unorderable misc single items. I also have some of these stashed at the post office. (Written down so I know what's where) including balloons, wands, boppers, streetpass, etc... my museum rooms hold all the gyroids and mini fossil models. My 2 alt characters have all the villager pics displayed in their houses. I'm such a nerd. Lol! Currently working on the new update items and how I'm going to store them.

I have also thought about this topic. And boy is it tough... There's no real easy answer. It's hard to keep track of so many different things, while progressing with your game daily. It leads to leaving a lot of random things everywhere for random periods of time, that's for sure.

The only orderable things I keep are customized furniture. Otherwise I consider my kiosk storage.

Now for the unorderables....... I kind of get the idea of unorderables. Keep certain things exclusive, keep us on the hunt, keep us on our toes, otherwise we get bored too fast, right? If every single item could me multiplied a million times we would all finish the game too fast, no? Finish it, as in acquire every single item. But for storing the unorderables, they should be a bit more reasonable. I like the idea of having a storage space, somewhere, for every acquirable unoderable item. At least within our respective game's region. Maybe not for something exclusive to somewhere else. For those exclusives to other regions, that's what we could use our regular storage for. But otherwise, they should make something similar to the new "secret storage space," that has a slot for each specific item.

That way, we can keep each item, without reordering it & distribute them to everyone, and not deal with having to keep notes of what's where. I too, have notes in my phone, as to what I have stored where. It's kind of silly. lol

Back