• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your thoughts about people Duping on acnl?

I think it's fine. It can save a lot of time when you need items in bulk like specific bush starts rather than waiting to get them in game

I don't really mind people who dupe/clone, since they play their game their way, I play my way (time traveler -_-)

I do start to mind, when they start to dupe villagers and bells, I don't mind when it comes to items and furniture since you could make a new character and make the house like a cafe or some shiz like that. But duplicating villagers is a big no-no to me.

I think it's fine and anyone who can and wants to do it should be able to.

If your 3ds is crashing because of duping, you aren't doing it right.

I haven't duped since AC:CF (in which I did that A LOT), but I don't mind it because I don't really think there's any cheating in animal crossing.....besides it doesn't really matter in the end. it's just one item, and it'd be silly for strangers to be so angry about some one getting a virtual item that they wanted to decorate their virtual house with haha

I think I'm mostly fine with other people doing it; I won't dislike someone or hate them because they dupe. It is technically a cheat - the developers of the game never intended for anything to be duped.

I wouldn't dupe because i'd feel guilty about it, like cheating. I understand how hard it is to get things like bush starts to get your great town and can see why people do it though.

Also I'd be too scared of losing all of my data or breaking my 3ds or something. Even if risk is low, I don't want to risk it!

Its fine, just as long as you share the wealth.
If you charge others for things you dupe, then that's kinda scummy.

It's not my choice to decide whether or not someone should dupe.

It's been two years since the game launched; I'm sure lots of people quickly got bored of it and chose to dupe or something.

It doesn't matter to me. Everyone has different play styles and it isn't hurting anyone. If the unthinkable were to happen and their system crashed (which really shouldn't happen, btw), then well...lesson learned? But even PowerSaves aren't a guaranteed way to "cheat". Some people just use them to create backup save files in case their cartridge corrupts and there's definitely nothing wrong with that.

I know my boyfriend would've liked to have had one before his Hilldale town corrupted. Duping isn't really a big deal either. I prefer to get my furniture sets and the like the old-fashioned way just because I personally feel more of a sense of accomplishment doing so. Still, it certainly does come in handy when you need a bunch of shrubs and saplings for landscaping and don't want to wait for months on end buying them every day.

Last edited:
I dont mind if people do it. Its one of those for me where its their game, thus their choice. Some people want to dupe, and others dont which is perfectly fine. The game isnt meant to be played in once specific way afterall :)

Players should be able to do whatever they want. It's their game, and if duping, using the RAM editor, and/or time travelling makes their experience better, let them be. Personally, I would love to do any of those things (especially the RAM editor), and these people learned how. I don't think they should be looked down upon for playing the game differently, but applauded for learning a new skill that hardly anyone performs. Also, most of the people who hack do it to help others. Mayor-ally on tumblr RAMed her cartridge and gives out free villagers, fish, money, etc. to players who ask, and she also does giveaways for these items several times a month. I have met TONS of dupers who give other players extra items or give some of their duped items away. People who time travel the most are usually cycle towns, and cycle towns give other people their villagers.

Instead of focusing on yourself and how "unfair" all of this is since YOU can't figure it out, look at the bigger picture. These people want to HELP you, and you're just telling them what they do is wrong since you can't do it and/or that function isn't available in the game itself. That's a little self-centered, don't you think?

If you really dislike these actions, don't support people who do them by not asking for their villagers or items. If you're jealous of their ability, learn how to do it yourself. Your reason for disliking duping is a little strange to me. You don't like it because it crashed your friends' DSes? That's a part of duping, your DS is supposed to crash. Screwing up your game is a risk you take by doing it. If you somehow find that a reasonable explanation to shun it, you do you, I guess...

Mixed feelings...the game IS really hard to complete legitimately, but I also think the 'original' way of playing is so cool...

I don't care if people duping in AC NL. If people want to starts duping, they should know the safety and instructions of how to do it. If their 3DS and/or the AC NL crashed because of what they did wrong of duping, then they may as well deserve of what happen and shouldn't do it again next time before the risk of breaking the 3DS. It is better for them to TT if they want to make things faster.

I personally don't care whether people dupe or not, if that's how they want to play the game, then let them be. I tried duping with my friend in the past just to see if it worked, but we were unsuccessful. I would much rather earn the items myself then have to "cheat" to get them, though.

People are free to play however they'd like.

I don't want to even attempt it, a) because of the risk of things going wrong and b) because I like the satisfaction of achieving things through regular gameplay. There are some achievements I may never get (like the 100 mil bells badge), but that's okay.

If someone chooses to dupe for their own benefit or to help others, that seems basically okay to me. Where it becomes not-okay in my opinion is if someone dupes bells (or items to sell for profit) such that it allows them to win or end up drastically raising the prices of auctions. That's a massive, unfair advantage and it's there that the line is crossed into "cheating" territory for me.

I tried doing it with my friend a long time ago and we found it kinda hard to do it.

Idk if some people want to spend their time doing it thats fine, but its not for me.

Duping is fun at first but eventually makes the game boring. But if one uses it for giveaways, then it's fun.
The only thing that concerns me about it is that there's a chance for the game to get messed up. Like my husband's game, it has weird glitches appearing due to frequent duping. I read somewhere that even if you reset the game, this kind of glitch won't go away.
Though I don't mind if people duplicate items, I just hope their game won't break.

Last edited:
I can get things so easily on this forum that it is an unnecessary process for me! But if other people wanna do it then I see no problem with that ! No harm, no foul, or something like that

Players should be able to do whatever they want. It's their game, and if duping, using the RAM editor, and/or time travelling makes their experience better, let them be. Personally, I would love to do any of those things (especially the RAM editor), and these people learned how. I don't think they should be looked down upon for playing the game differently, but applauded for learning a new skill that hardly anyone performs. Also, most of the people who hack do it to help others. Mayor-ally on tumblr RAMed her cartridge and gives out free villagers, fish, money, etc. to players who ask, and she also does giveaways for these items several times a month. I have met TONS of dupers who give other players extra items or give some of their duped items away. People who time travel the most are usually cycle towns, and cycle towns give other people their villagers.

Instead of focusing on yourself and how "unfair" all of this is since YOU can't figure it out, look at the bigger picture. These people want to HELP you, and you're just telling them what they do is wrong since you can't do it and/or that function isn't available in the game itself. That's a little self-centered, don't you think?

If you really dislike these actions, don't support people who do them by not asking for their villagers or items. If you're jealous of their ability, learn how to do it yourself. Your reason for disliking duping is a little strange to me. You don't like it because it crashed your friends' DSes? That's a part of duping, your DS is supposed to crash. Screwing up your game is a risk you take by doing it. If you somehow find that a reasonable explanation to shun it, you do you, I guess...
If your talking specifically to me then you should know that I actually DO know how to dupe, I just don't do it often,and if dupers 3ds crashes,then I guess Its not my fault. There is only one way of doing it right (both having the items in the end) and we took my friends 3ds to electricians and they even said its not good to clone/glitch but I guess you have your way of playing it. Also,if your 3ds is meant to crash whats the point of doing it? By the way I dislike it because its a cheat code =P

Last edited:
Back