• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Splatoon Wish i could get it, but...

mintellect

attention gamers,
Bells
Heart Glow Wand
Tasty Cake
Flower Glow Wand
Tasty Cake
Heart Glow Wand
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
This game looks amazing from what I've seen, and i really wish i could get it. But i can't because as far as i can tell it requires use of the top screen (TV screen), and I cant use the TV screen to play games anymore. Whenever I turn on my Wii U and my TV, the TV just has a blank screen and doesn't boot up with the Wii U. So i can only play games with the gamepad. This isn't a problem for games i can play on the gamepad like 3D World and MK8, but I can't play any Wii games or MP10 or any others that require use of the TV. I want to fix this problem in case a really good game comes out (like AC Wii U) that requires use of the TV. This happened a while ago, before i joined the forums. I had the Wii U for a long time with no problems, didn't play for a few months, and it just came up. I haven't had television cable for over 5 years, but that didn't affect the Wii U in the beginning. Everything is plugged in as far as I can tell, and I've cleaned the gamepad and disc inserter (?). Someone told me to try changing the HDMI cable whatever in settings to make sure it was the right one (but that didn't affect the Wii U before, but i did it anyway) and now it won't let me change it back. Please any advice, really want to get this.
And even if it doesn't require the TV, I'd like someone to try suggesting a solution anyway.

I'll just ask a few things. Some may seem obvious and you may have tried them all but, yano, sometimes people miss the obvious stuff.

- Are you sure it's plugged in?

- Have you pressed the button to make your TV show content from that HDMI input? (usually it's a button labeled 'input' or 'AV', at least on British tellies, but I dunno if it is where you live)

- Have you tried plugging it in to any other HDMI ports on your TV (if there are any)?

- Have you tried plugging any other device into that HDMI port on your TV? Did the port work with the other device?

- Have you tried plugging the Wii U into another/somebody else's TV to make sure the Wii U itself isn't the issue?

- Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

- Have you tried restoring you TV settings?

- Have you looked through the Wii U system settings for a related option? If I recall, there should be something related to 'syncing' with your TV, though I would have to double check myself to make sure.

Last edited:
That really sucks, I'm sorry that you're having a hard time getting your television and Wii U to work together. It's not that your TV is too old because you obviously have an HDMI port and I'm sure you tried different auxiliary/input channels. I second all the questions that Tao asked and good luck getting it all to work...

Yeah, iv'e tried all the inputs, and i can't really test it out on someone else's TV. I'm not very familiar with technology so i can't answer much else...

Hm, if everything is plugged in right, then it shouldn't have a problem, especially if it worked fine before :/
I know that when I click "source" on my TV remote (not cable remote), I click HDMI3 for the Wiiu.. HDMI2 is my cable, and my regular wii and I think xbox are AV2 (i don't remember havent played those 2 in forever). So yea, if you checked all the sources and none work, then I have no clue. >u< The disk inserter shouldn't be the problem, especially if like MK8 shows up on your wiiu pad.

Hope you find out the problem..!

This game looks amazing from what I've seen, and i really wish i could get it. But i can't because as far as i can tell it requires use of the top screen (TV screen), and I cant use the TV screen to play games anymore. Whenever I turn on my Wii U and my TV, the TV just has a blank screen and doesn't boot up with the Wii U. So i can only play games with the gamepad.

This isn't a problem for games i can play on the gamepad like 3D World and MK8, but I can't play any Wii games or MP10 or any others that require use of the TV. I want to fix this problem in case a really good game comes out (like AC Wii U) that requires use of the TV. This happened a while ago, before i joined the forums. I had the Wii U for a long time with no problems, didn't play for a few months, and it just came up. I haven't had television cable for over 5 years, but that didn't affect the Wii U in the beginning. Everything is plugged in as far as I can tell, and I've cleaned the gamepad and disc inserter (?). Someone told me to try changing the HDMI cable whatever in settings to make sure it was the right one (but that didn't affect the Wii U before, but i did it anyway) and now it won't let me change it back. Please any advice, really want to get this.
And even if it doesn't require the TV, I'd like someone to try suggesting a solution anyway.
Have you ever pulled any HDMI cables out when swapping for another HDMI console? I assume no as you would have said. But I just ask as this question as it does sortof sound like the issue I had a few years ago where the section of the TV that you connect the HDMI cables blew... I had to buy a whole new and larger* TV to replace my old one.

*A larger one was totally optional...

Last edited:
The problem was fixed! I was sure i tried every input (0 for TV, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for DVD) but I decided to try 3 again because I thought that was what i used before, and I turned on the TV before turning on the Wii U, and a thing popped up on the gamepad about the TV settings being changed or something and asked if i wanted to change them and save them for the Wii U. After i saved the settings a notice on the TV popped up saying something like "Can you see the thing on the screen" and i presses yes and now it's working normally! :D I can get Splatoon now :)

The problem was fixed! I was sure i tried every input (0 for TV, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for DVD) but I decided to try 3 again because I thought that was what i used before, and I turned on the TV before turning on the Wii U, and a thing popped up on the gamepad about the TV settings being changed or something and asked if i wanted to change them and save them for the Wii U. After i saved the settings a notice on the TV popped up saying something like "Can you see the thing on the screen" and i presses yes and now it's working normally! :D I can get Splatoon now :)

Ahh I'm glad you got it fixed. Splatoon has been a really fun game so far, you'll enjoy it for sure c:

Back