• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokemon whose Genders were NOT What you Expected

Captain Crazy Chicken

The bad guys are pirates?
Bells
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
November Birthstone (Topaz)
October Birthstone (Opal)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Mailbox
June Birthstone (Pearl)
May Birthstone (Emerald)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Just explaining.

Like how Lisia's Altaria is a guy, and Chaz's Machoke is a girl. Which Pokemon on your team were you surprised to see is the opposite gender of what you expected?

My Vanilluxe was a girl. I was originally going for a male Vanilluxe to complete the game with, but a female Vanillite showed up.

I intended my shiny sylveon to be male because of the current social views on blue vs pink, but it ended up being female instead.

Machoke and Machamp are ones that I always expect to be male entirely. I guess it's largely due to them being more humanoid and being designed like a male. They could have done with a 'Nidoran' type thing with different forms for each gender.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are two others where I always thought that one was supposed to be a boy and the other a girl. I dunno why, I expect that because Pokemon didn't have genders back in red/blue and they came as a pair, I assumed there had to be one of each and that's kinda stuck with me.

Last edited:
Almost every pokemon in a breeding chain that isn't female. They're evil and shouldn't exist.

I find it weird that in the Ralts evolution line Gardevoir can be female or male, but Gallade can only be male.

Last edited:
I find it weird that in the Ralts evolution line Gardevoir can be female or male, but Gallade can only be male.
Cross-dressers, innit.

Or maybe it's just because Gardevoir was made in G3 and Gallade in G4. It would've been an arbitrary change to make Gardevoir female-only, especially when you already have male Gardevoirs in G3 games which can be transferred to G4.
So that's probably why.

Cross-dressers, innit.

Or maybe it's just because Gardevoir was made in G3 and Gallade in G4. It would've been an arbitrary change to make Gardevoir female-only, especially when you already have male Gardevoirs in G3 games which can be transferred to G4.
So that's probably why.

I wonder why it wasn't changed for Gen VI though. I mean, you can't trade from older versions to gen VI, right?

It seems like it would have been an opportunity to 'correct' any little things like that, especially since I assume if Gardevoir is a Pokemon they would have liked to be female only in retrospect.

Dragonite lol. I was hoping for a male, but I finally bred its stats right that I just didn't give a **** anymore.

Like I said, I thought Chaz's Machoke, named Macherie, was a guy. Then, Chaz started using female pronouns when talking about Macherie. I assumed then, since Macherie had things for Ali the Altaria, that the two were lezbians. Then, someone on Miiverse told me that Ali was a guy.

I wonder why it wasn't changed for Gen VI though. I mean, you can't trade from older versions to gen VI, right?
Everything can be transferred up, from G3 to G6, hence the Time Traveler Award in OR/AS.
G4 specifically had the Pal Park system.

They could have corrected it in G4, but it would've caused confusion among those with male Gardevoirs transferring them, or maybe even the game glitching out because GF is too lazy to code such a thing (or too bad at coding at the time).

None, because it really doesn't bother me, and i've never really gone "this pokemon looks feminine so it must be a girl... wtf its can be male too??"

- - - Post Merge - - -

Same. I really don't like it when I see male Gardevoir bc dresses

wait, so you're saying men cant wear dresses??

Um... you can. Remember when everyone was complaining about there being no Pokebank? That's why.

Ahhh yea. I forget about which ways Pokemon can be brought to newer gens. I actually forgot that Pokebank works with games before Gen VI since I don't really use it, I just trade Pokemon to myself using my brothers 3DS instead.

I wish Courtney was the leader of Swagma and every one of her pokemon could talk and mega evolve.

This isn't the point!!

The point is you have to talk about what genders of the Pokemon you never expected. Like the Macherie issue. And MayorEvvie, you are such a troll, you need a PERMABAN!!

Back