• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The game is harder because mh3u had a default defence boost whether you liked it or not
How did I forget about that? That makes... a lot of sense now, actually. And to add to Cirom's post, likely part of the reason 3U's monsters seemed weaker than Tri's is because by the time 3U rolled around, we had already fought half of the monsters and were very familiar with them.
I missed the boat on the PSP games, so a lot the returning monsters in 4U are totally new to me and I have to relearn things. I am really enjoying it though. Just killed Gore five times today so I'm starting to get the hang of things.

How did I forget about that? That makes... a lot of sense now, actually. And to add to Cirom's post, likely part of the reason 3U's monsters seemed weaker than Tri's is because by the time 3U rolled around, we had already fought half of the monsters and were very familiar with them.
I missed the boat on the PSP games, so a lot the returning monsters in 4U are totally new to me and I have to relearn things. I am really enjoying it though. Just killed Gore five times today so I'm starting to get the hang of things.

I hadn't fought half the monsters though - I ended up struggling and to this day, haven't even beaten the Qurupeco on Tri. Whereas on 3U.. I recently beat the Lagiacrus (singleplayer) some time before MH4U released.

I just found that monsters in MH3U were just weaker. While their damage output seems the same, their health and speed just seems a bit slower.

That, or I just plain didn't get along with my Tri weapon (Sword & Shield) compared to my 3U weapon (Dual Blades)

.. But eh, I wield the Hunting Horn now anyways ;D

iunno tbh, for me at least, i think it just comes down to being familiar with the game.

when i first started 3U, it took me like 20 mins to kill great jaggi (lol), in 4U I can do that in just a few mins, with the starting equipment. I also remember taking like 3 days to beat Quropeco, and then on ****ing Ceadeus took like a week, and I only managed to do it coz the game glitched and he started swimming into a wall, where in 4U I managed to beat shagaru first try, in just over 10 minutes - and the reason the monsters in 3U are weaker than in tri is becuase they made them eaasier in 3U.

But for 4U, even though its harder than 3U, I found it easier, simply because I now know how to fight monsters, evading where possible, and I was familiar with the mechanics of the game.

iunno tbh, for me at least, i think it just comes down to being familiar with the game.

when i first started 3U, it took me like 20 mins to kill great jaggi (lol), in 4U I can do that in just a few mins, with the starting equipment. I also remember taking like 3 days to beat Quropeco, and then on ****ing Ceadeus took like a week, and I only managed to do it coz the game glitched and he started swimming into a wall, where in 4U I managed to beat shagaru first try, in just over 10 minutes - and the reason the monsters in 3U are weaker than in tri is becuase they made them eaasier in 3U.

But for 4U, even though its harder than 3U, I found it easier, simply because I now know how to fight monsters, evading where possible, and I was familiar with the mechanics of the game.

Just don't ever make the fatal mistake I seem to be fond of making. Rushing in without watching the monster to learn its attack patterns. I mainly get killed because I keep making that same stupid mistake and its very rare I can recover from it. Especially when I'm fighting something like Black Gravios(killed him in about 3 minutes with a gun and level 3 armor piercing rounds though).

Just don't ever make the fatal mistake I seem to be fond of making. Rushing in without watching the monster to learn its attack patterns. I mainly get killed because I keep making that same stupid mistake and its very rare I can recover from it. Especially when I'm fighting something like Black Gravios(killed him in about 3 minutes with a gun and level 3 armor piercing rounds though).

The basarios/gravios line are stupidly easy if you gun them, tho

Anyway, here's the April DLC;

New Episodic Questline: Code 16010
High Rank: Hunt a Yian Garuga in the Arena
High Rank: Slay an Akantor at Ingle Isle
High Rank: Slay an Ukanlos at Polar Field
Rewards the Felcote Ticket to make F Felcote Coat!

High Rank: Slay a Fatalis at Castle Schrade
No reward here, just a High Rank Fatalis. Sadly not the G Rank one.

High Rank: Hunt a Gore Magala and Shagaru Magala at the Sanctuary
Rewards the Gore Magala Ticket to make EX Gore Armor Set!

High Rank: Hunt a Kirin and an Oroshi Kirin at Tower Summit
Rewards the Oroshi Kirin Ticket to make EX Kirin Armor Set!

High Rank: Hunt a Frenzied Seregios at Heaven?s Mount
Rewards the Gold Ring to make Caliburn, F Sonic Head and F Sonic Body!

High Rank: Hunt a Frenzied Lagombi and a Frenzied Congalala in the Arena
Rewards the Fan Club Certificate to make Megaphone, Shadow Shades, Hunter?s Camo Suit/Jacket, F Fan Megaphone, Meowniac?s Mask, and F Fan Top!

High Rank: Hunt a Frenzied Tigrex and a Frenzied Brute Tigrex in the Arena
Rewards the Uniqlo Ticket to make Universal Chrome and the Uniqlo Armor Set.

High Rank: Hunt a Congalala and an Emerald Congalala in the Arena
Rewards the Super Mushroom to make Invincible Hammer, F Mario Cap, F Mario Overalls, F Luigi Cap, and F Luigi Overalls!

Low Rank: Slay 12 Felyne and 12 Melynx in the Arena
Rewards the Monqlo Ticket to make F Monqlo Mallet, F Monqlo Shades, and F Monqlo Tee for your Palicoes!

Rewards can change since they're assuming them based off the Japanese DLC, but they'll more than likely stay the same

So, I discovered that I like hunting big monsters! My fiance convinced me that it was time to get my own copy of the game since I kept taking his to play when he wanted to play. It also helps that a couple of my friends are just starting out with the franchise too, so all of us newbies can hunt together! And of course my fiance said that he would hunt with me if I wanted him to.

I have a feeling that slaying monsters will be good stress relief during the week.

Still waiting for this :(
MH4-Palico_Equipment_Render_013.png

I'm looking at finishing off the 2-star Gathering Hall quests tonight, if anybody fancies joining me either to get the quests done themselves, or to gather some extra materials.

So, I discovered that I like hunting big monsters! My fiance convinced me that it was time to get my own copy of the game since I kept taking his to play when he wanted to play. It also helps that a couple of my friends are just starting out with the franchise too, so all of us newbies can hunt together! And of course my fiance said that he would hunt with me if I wanted him to.

I have a feeling that slaying monsters will be good stress relief during the week.

furious rajang is p good monster to de-stress against!!

So, I caved in and bought that MM new 3ds xl thing today cause they apparently just got a huge stock to where I live. I've been looking this up and from what I've seen it looks good with better graphics and stuff. So gonna ask you vets, is it any good?

Like, gameplay- and controlwise. I wasn't a too huge fan of 3U but this seems really nice.

So, I caved in and bought that MM new 3ds xl thing today cause they apparently just got a huge stock to where I live. I've been looking this up and from what I've seen it looks good with better graphics and stuff. So gonna ask you vets, is it any good?

Like, gameplay- and controlwise. I wasn't a too huge fan of 3U but this seems really nice.
Yes, it is the best game in the series to date

Just made a rough edge switch axe. Any tips? I've only ever used the dual blades

Last edited:
Just made a rough edge switch axe. Any tips? I've only ever used the dual blades

It's a lot more powerful than the dual blades but slower. Basically you wanna be in sword mods as much as possible (pressing R when the gauge is orange. Pressing R when the gauge is pink refills the bar). In sword mode you just have your basic XXA/XXX/AAA/etc combos until your gauge runs out, or you can press X&A and then mash X (or maybe A I forget) for an elemental burst, which uses more of the gauge but is powerful.

I really only ever use axe mode if the monster is flying, coz the upswing (X&A) has the highest upswing of any weapon, or if my gauge is running low and I don't have an opportunity to reload it

From about two days of really playing the game: why oh why did I never get into this series earlier? It is so much fun!

I am really enjoying the Insect Glaive at the moment and because I've been using that weapon most I'm better with it than my fiance so I get to help him with it at his request. That never happens with these types of games, so that made me feel good.

What weapons do you guys like using and why? I'm thinking that I want to get good at a couple of different types just for variety's sake, but I'm not sure which ones to try.

From about two days of really playing the game: why oh why did I never get into this series earlier? It is so much fun!

I am really enjoying the Insect Glaive at the moment and because I've been using that weapon most I'm better with it than my fiance so I get to help him with it at his request. That never happens with these types of games, so that made me feel good.

What weapons do you guys like using and why? I'm thinking that I want to get good at a couple of different types just for variety's sake, but I'm not sure which ones to try.

I usually use dual blades but the switch axe is fun to use. I didn't want to use the switch axe but it was on top of the charged axe and I thought I was crafting a weapon for a charged axe

Fair enough. It seem much better improved then 3U that I tried a few years ago. Perhaps it might be worth picking up in a while :3

The controls for it are fairly similar, however they have removed swimming, so if (like me) you hated those battles, you can give a sigh of relief. The controls for the most part have stayed pretty much the same, some people find them awkward at first, but if you want to play the game you will be able to use the controls without it feeling awkward. The gameplay is fairly typical of the Monster Hunter series, e.g. do key quests, grind, grind, grind, key quests, grind etc., but personally, I do think this is a much better game than MH3U. Things I like about it: 1. Out of the box online capabilities(makes it so much better than either having to only have local play, or jump through hoops to get online), 2. No more awkward underwater quests(Admittedly, I did enjoy some of them, but they got irritating after a while), 3. So much to kill! 4. A story that felt like it actually mattered to the game. 5. Lots of awards to earn through bits of gameplay.

It's about as good as MHFU was(which is possibly my favourite game of all time), if not better actually now that even more late-game monsters have been added. If you're looking for a game that'll give you value for money, you'd be hard-pressed to find one better on the 3DS.

The controls for it are fairly similar, however they have removed swimming, so if (like me) you hated those battles, you can give a sigh of relief. The controls for the most part have stayed pretty much the same, some people find them awkward at first, but if you want to play the game you will be able to use the controls without it feeling awkward. The gameplay is fairly typical of the Monster Hunter series, e.g. do key quests, grind, grind, grind, key quests, grind etc., but personally, I do think this is a much better game than MH3U. Things I like about it: 1. Out of the box online capabilities(makes it so much better than either having to only have local play, or jump through hoops to get online), 2. No more awkward underwater quests(Admittedly, I did enjoy some of them, but they got irritating after a while), 3. So much to kill! 4. A story that felt like it actually mattered to the game. 5. Lots of awards to earn through bits of gameplay.

It's about as good as MHFU was(which is possibly my favourite game of all time), if not better actually now that even more late-game monsters have been added. If you're looking for a game that'll give you value for money, you'd be hard-pressed to find one better on the 3DS.

Yeah, I watched a few gameplay videos earlier and it looks nice, picking it up once I'm less broke lol. And seems it's more optimized for the New 3ds' consoles as well. I don't mind grinding (games) at all, I just felt the last one they did were pretty half-baked and it's more let's see if people buy it in the west or something. Yeah water fights were a bit meh so that adds more to why I want it.

tbh I literally forgot water fights even existed until I see someone actually bring them up.. it almost seems like an irrelevant feature by this point. Still I suppose they were an interesting change. Also I remember Plesioth in previous games could never be fought while in water (it could go into some pond thing?? smh) but for returning hunters it might've been cool to experience fighting it in the water.
Also water fights gave water monsters a proper purpose idk
basically rip Royal Ludroth and Lagiacrus lOL (even tho lagia is thunder)

does anyone else main Charge Blade? because honestly best weapon <3

Back