• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smash Bros competitive or casual?

so?

• competitive

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • casual

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • a bit of both

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I'm a competitive player. Smash was made to be a party game, and then we discovered Melee had wavedashing. It hasn't really been a party game since. Sure, you can play it at parties. But you'll all want to win.

Casual. I don't have the skill to play competitively.

lel

Last edited:
competitive...
I hate going to parties and stuff and playing melee and having to play with items on and play random stages. It just doesn't feel right to have to purposefully dumb down my game and pass up techs and combos that are muscle memory. It really depends on if I'm drunk enough to be bothered by it. (I really don

that's why most of the time, outside of parties, I just play with my few melee friends who are pretty good...

I enjoy both.

Casual is for when I'm around friends etc. Considering I just tend to be better at video games than friends, plus it doesn't help that I actually own Nintendo consoles and have had practice at the games...
Besides, items and stage effects are just fun. It's the way Smash is supposed to be played.

Competitive is fun for different reasons, though out of the two I would prefer 'casual' since I do enjoy the randomness of having items turned on.

Defs casual. It's not something is ever get into the competitive side of

Casual! Only because I'm probably not good enough to be competitive, though.

Mixed, though competitive would just be more competitive-esque rulesets than actually going to tournys and stuff

However, I will say there's some items (in regards to Sm4sh, previous iterations I had no problem with any of the items) and stages (3DS is awful with this, can't speak for WiiU.... previous games had some stuff too, but not near as bad from what I remember) that I can't even stand casual. They are just that awful.

Last edited:
Probably casual, but that's just for the 3ds version. When I get it for the Wii U I'll probably get a bit more competitive with it, since I really feel like smash games are much better on a bigger screen.

Mix of both honestly.

Though I really suck competitively. (See me in For Glory, it's glorious.)

Can't comment on the new smash games yet (hopefully getting it for christmas), but for brawl I was a bit of both. I didn't have any interest in tournaments, but I played more often and was a lot better than most casual players. I was a part of a group of an online smash players that practiced together. So I couldn't really play against my sister or irl friends anymore because I got too good, haha.

Definetly casual.

Its not the type of game for me to sink hundreds of hours in. To be honest even if I did, I probably would still suck in it, it is so fast-paced it really is difficult to make the right choices for me.

I mostly bought it for the jukebox and all the Nintendo history sank into it. I love that Zelda ouverture. :D

Casual. I'm kinda casual in pokemon too. I would read the competitive side of pokemon but never actually do it because I was nervous. Same thing for smash. I consider competitive people the people who actually go to tournaments and ****. I read their opinions online I guess on smashboards but I don't post or actually try to go to one since I suck so bad at smash, lmao. I keep myself up to date I guess,

Last edited:
I've been quite competitive in the previous Smash Bros games but I've been really casual with this game (so far) :p

Super Smash Brothers is meant to be a casual game in the first place. People take it way too far in my opinion. I always play with my friends or brothers over, and we all just have a great time and congratulate each other when we win. '

Competitive play is just.. too serious. Constantly shielding and rolling, looking for just the right timeframe to attack, not to mention no items and only Omega stages. It just doesn't feel right.

only Omega stages

this is false

for glory is omega only, but actual competitive (while it does ban certain stages) allows more than just reskinned final destination

- - - Post Merge - - -

plus shielding, rolling, finding the right time to attack, etc should be what any decent player should be able to do regardless of competitive or casual play

I mean if you're just going to charge full force at me, its your own fault if I dodge and kill

Last edited:
Back