• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Midnight Releases

JJarmon

Dreaming of Sycamores
Bells
Switch
5385-2573-6703
Red Rose
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange (Fruit)
My girlfriend pretty much begged me to endure a three hour wait for SSBU at Gamestop this Thursday. I'm excited for the game and all, but I've never done one of these before. To top it off, it'll be raining apparently. :rolleyes: How does one manage to survive a midnight release anyways? Ah well, it'll be interesting to say the least. So that begs the question...

Have you ever been to a midnight release for a game?
What was your experience, if you have and for which game? :)

The only game I gotten from a midnight release was Brawl all those years ago.

My dad went to get it for me, and I was excited when he came home with it.

Depends on what your location is doing. Your best bet it to call and see if they're doing anything, otherwise you'll probably end up like the Smash 3DS Midnight Release I went to. Went in, paid, came home and chilled until about 15 mins before Midnight. Came in, played the Smash Demo with friends and they got my hands on the game.

Never done a midnight release before. I'll be doing 2 next week!! GTAV for PS4 and Pokemon ORAS! Pretty excited!

I've never done one and never will. I get my games early nowadays anyway, and I don't really care about all the extra stuff that may be at a midnight release. If they were doing something REALLY special, I would consider going. But only then.

I love midnight releases, it's fun to hang out and meet like minded people who are fans of the same game/series, and it's just an overall cool feeling to be with the rest of the community.

I've gone to quite a handful. MW3, Black Ops 2, Dead or Alive 5, Diablo 3, Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds, and SSB3DS are all of the ones I've attended. They can be pretty miserable if it's cold out, but if your GameStop or whatever is cool, they'll let everyone chill inside until it's time for release.

I downloaded Tomodachi life from the Eshop at midnight but I've never gone to one in person before. I think there's one for the new Pokemon in my area but I won't be able to get into the city that late at night as the buses stop before midnight. I don't mind waiting until the next day anyway.

Don't really see the point in midnight releases. Do people receive some sort of buzz from queueing up all night outside?

Don't really see the point in midnight releases. Do people receive some sort of buzz from queueing up all night outside?

Kind of yes
It creates hype for yourself, you get to play the game as soon as possible, and it's a great way to meet new people

I don't go to midnight premieres for video games, mostly because no one ever wants to go with me haha.
But I do go to midnight/early releases for movies, and while they're obviously for different things, I can say the benefits are similar. You get hyped up for the movie by seeing it before other people, and you'll meet new people who are just as excited to see the movie or play the game as you are. It's not for everyone if you don't like waiting in line for things but if it's for something you like enough and you take friends with you, it's a fun experience.

I've never physically attended to a midnight release from any store. None of my nearby stores would even bother doing so, because my region/state isn't exactly big on video games. The culprit: people here are seemingly lacking in the culture department, so they're usually much less informed about it than us, unless they're actively following it.

As for midnight releases, I always did for games I was actually interested since the launch of New Super Mario Bros. 2.

I haven't been to one but my adult son has. The Ebgame and Future Shop employees are very nice.
They go thru the line up and check for pre-order people and gave numbers to the other ones.
So no one gets cut off. It's a good way to meet people and trade FC.

My brother and nephew got up at 3 am and stood in line for some PS3. It was about 5 years ago and the price was very low.
The employees were very good and asked what they were there for and reserved those items. Coffee and other things were given out. People in the line up could go sit in their warm car.
They got the PS3 and gave me one as a surprise.

I've never bothered going to them.

Firstly, games don't sell out these days. They just don't. Game stores just stock way more copies than they will ever need of any given game. The last game to sell out that I know of was 'Fire Emblem: Awakening' because they didn't think it was going to be as popular as it was, with some stores stocking like only 3 copies of the game (they were asking for trouble).
Even GTA:V didn't sell out and that is one of the biggest releases ever. I thought it would be sold out because I didn't attend the midnight release and could only go and get it at around 6pm after work. No, they had friggin tons of copies left. They couldn't give them away fast enough. They were even selling pre-order editions to people who didn't pre-order because they had stocked so God damn many of the thing.

Another thing, it is automatically difficult if you're using public transport as it usually stops before midnight, making getting home a hassle. I COULD pay for a taxi, but I don't think that an extra ?10-?20 spent on a taxi is really worth having the game a few hours earlier than I would have it otherwise.

Then there's the games with midnight releases. Around here, it's pretty much only ever the latest "pew pew pew, bang bang bang" game that gets a midnight release and I really couldn't care less about those types of money sucking cash grabs.

Stores near me also don't tend to do midnight releases for Nintendo games...Like...At all. The last one I think happened was 'Pokemon X & Y'. From what somebody told me who went to that, there was no reason I could see to why I should have gone. If they gave you a special 'Pokemon themed' bonus for doing it then sure, I would have, but they didn't. It literally was just so you could have the game a few hours earlier for more much hassle.

Since stores don't typically do Nintendo games, that also means I typically won't meet like minded fans looking forward to the game. Yea, I could meet like minded fans on Playstation releases, but I already have enough friends with a Playstation, I don't need more of them that I'm never going to speak/play with again.
There's no Smash midnight release near me, so it's 100% unlikely that I'm going to meet some local Smash players. It's essentially going to be me and my one other friend that owns a WiiU playing Smash locally.

Then there's the "really, what was the point?" factor of even though you now have it at midnight, you're likely going to go home and go to bed. You may even have work the next day, so it's going to be like 6pm the next day when you'll actually be able to play it at all, and you could arguably have just picked it on the way home from work. Was it really worth it considering you're only going to play it properly the next day anyway?

Never. Public transport doesn't run late enough. :p

At the moment I actually have a local game store the first time since 2008, but I've not had any desire to go to a launch.

Back