• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Misadventures of Amber McCain: How I accidentally became a mayor

Game
New Leaf
Island/Town Name
Bellview
Hemisphere
North

Ravenkitty22

🤍💜2 days till TTPD 💜🤍
Bells
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Planet Glow Wand
Space Whale Plush
Purple Crescent Moon
Blue Star Fragment
*Author’s note: 10 years after the game’s release, I’ve decided to reset my town in New Leaf and replay this game through the lens of an original character. I hope you have fun on an adventure with her!*

Entry 1: 06/15/2023, 1:30pm

Hello there! The name’s Amber. I found this journal when I was cleaning out my old dorm. Apparently it was supposed to be for TOH fanfic ideas… yeesh. Anyways, I’ve decided to move to a quiet town called Bellview and finish university online. I think I could do with a change of scenery. The busy city life was never really my thing.

I have to board the 2:00 train there, so I won’t have time to write in this much. I’ll probably use this to write about my life in the new town, maybe even draw a couple pictures. Regardless, I’m excited!

Train bag must-haves:
-Cell phone
-Snacks (if they allow)
-Headphones
-A couple days worth of clothes (who knows when the movers will make it)
-Diploma - IMPORTANT! DO NOT FORGET!
-Laptop for classes
-Money for ticket
-This book

That’s all the time I have. See you in Bellview!

Entry 2: 06/15/2023, 5:30pm

Okay, so my life just took an interesting turn, and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

I was just sitting on the train, minding my business, when some guy just sat across from me and tried to make small talk. Weird, but it’s fine. He wanted to know my name, where Bellview was, pretty basic stuff. Then the train got to my stop, and everything seemed fine.

When I arrived in Bellview, there were four of the town’s residents there, ready to greet me. Everything seemed fine until this happened.
IMG_5077.jpeg

“Something’s not right. I’m no mayor! You’ve got the wrong person!”
“You told us what train you’d be arriving on! I know it’s you.” The dog said.
“Nonono, I’m serious. I’m way too young! I’m just a college kid.”
“Pssh, you’re such a jokester, Mayor Amber. I like that about you!”
“No, I have to be dreaming, right? Even if age wasn’t an issue, I’m a theater major. I’m supposed to go on to be the next Zendaya! What would I know about politics?”
“Very funny, Mayor. Come on, let’s go to the town hall. We have work to do.”

After ten minutes of culture shock, the dog girl (Isabelle, apparently) revealed herself to be my secretary. Fun. Then they realized I needed a house, since they didn’t have anything prepared for the so called mayor. The dude who’s in charge of housing was nice though, and let me pick my own spot. I chose a place surrounded by trees and flowers, away from everyone else. Peace and quiet.

Except I can’t even have a house. They gave me a tent and a broken lantern for who knows how long. Oh well. This is the rural life I wanted, right?

IMG_5096.jpeg

*Author’s note: Yes, this is from today and not yesterday, I forgot to take a picture*

Back to the town hall, with a remark about my birthdate “Gosh, you’re so young! Two thousand and FOUR?” and then there was this ceremony where I planted a tree to symbolize our town growing. Yayyy 🙃.

IMG_5087.jpeg

Then my smart self thought I should see how much debt I’m in for that tent the raccoon gave me. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A TENT AND A MAILBOX?!?! Good lord.

I’m supposed to make money by selling fruit, fish, and bugs. The good news is there’s no real deadline for it, just pay the debt when I have time. And the store was selling a net, so you better believe once I could afford it, I bought it and started catching all the creepy crawlies I could see.

But somehow, I don’t know if it was my imagination, but I heard a soft tune in the background when catching bugs.

“Da-da-dada-da-da-duh-da, duh-duh-duh-da-da-da-da-da.”

I’m not sure why it was so important, but it kind of brought this good feeling. Like the song was reassuring me everything was going to be okay. And you know what, reader? It worked. I think I’m gonna like this place, even with my 10,000 dollar tent and completely new way of life.

See you around, Mayor Amber McCain

Back