• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tired of Plot resetting?

Hazel

Resident Representative of Latibule
Bells
Switch
6101-3856-2327
Winter Mittens
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Lately I've noticed a pattern in how I've been playing acnl. I come back to it after months of not playing and decide that resetting is a good idea. I get a map I quite like and begin to make a rough plan of where everything will be. I'm excited to play again. Then... It's time for the dreaded plot resetting.

I plot reset for over a week to get a dreamie in a decent spot. I played happily until it was time to plot reset again... I quickly got burnt out after many failed attempts. So I stopped playing again. Today I went back to try plot resetting again with no results. All I get is bad villagers in terrible spots. My town is full of weeds and I can't place PWPs down to stop villagers moving in certain areas because I haven't been able to play since I've been spending that little time I have plot resetting. I want a nicely laid out town and cool villagers but all this plot resetting is seriously killing my enjoyment of the game and I'm really starting to despise Rover.

What should I do? I don't want to have to settle for any old villager in any old place... Should I just cycle the town until I get my other eight dreamies? I really don't want to restart the town since I really like the map. Ughsjs any advice would be much appriciated!

Are you plot resetting villagers that you have already obtained through the campsite/ adopted from someone else or are you villager resetting, and just cycling through random move ins?

This is a trick someone who has reset a lot of times told me....
You need a trustworthy friend or friends for this though. Most preferably those with cycling towns.

When you first restart a town do not bother with layout etc.
Reset for your high desired villagers. Let them plot anywhere. TT them out.
Let your friend hold them or cycler hold them.
Reset for desired map. Get to the point where you can adopt villagers. And adopt your dreamies and reset for your exact placement.

With a new town, and resetting for the villagers based on personality. It is difficult to place PWPs since you basically can only control placement 2-3 days after getting 100%.

Are you plot resetting villagers that you have already obtained through the campsite/ adopted from someone else or are you villager resetting, and just cycling through random move ins?

I'm villager resetting :/

This is a trick someone who has reset a lot of times told me....
You need a trustworthy friend or friends for this though. Most preferably those with cycling towns.

When you first restart a town do not bother with layout etc.
Reset for your high desired villagers. Let them plot anywhere. TT them out.
Let your friend hold them or cycler hold them.
Reset for desired map. Get to the point where you can adopt villagers. And adopt your dreamies and reset for your exact placement.

With a new town, and resetting for the villagers based on personality. It is difficult to place PWPs since you basically can only control placement 2-3 days after getting 100%.

Yeah I don't really have friends who play the game. That would be a good idea though!

I'm villager resetting :/

Yeah I don't really have friends who play the game. That would be a good idea though!

Hmmm.. I was going to suggest if you were doing the villager cycling, that maybe Personality cycling MIGHT work better for you, but even then, the same villager doesn't always show up and not in the right spot so you would be doing the same amount of work you're doing now...
If I had a 2nd 3ds and another copy of ACNL, I would have been happy to hold the villagers for you. Stina's plan is a good one if you have someone you can trust. Good luck.

Hmmm.. I was going to suggest if you were doing the villager cycling, that maybe Personality cycling MIGHT work better for you, but even then, the same villager doesn't always show up and not in the right spot so you would be doing the same amount of work you're doing now...
If I had a 2nd 3ds and another copy of ACNL, I would have been happy to hold the villagers for you. Stina's plan is a good one if you have someone you can trust. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Even if I had another copy of the game I could do it but sadly it's not something I can afford. I really just want to get back to playing ASAP so if anyone has any other helpful suggestions Id be open to them. At the rate I'm going I might have to restart my game again. :(

If you are doing something that upsets you, don't do it. You can easily play the game without plot resetting and have an awesome village. It seems like you're making it hard on yourself unnecessarily. Picking up desired villagers isn't hard using this forum. I think the only use in resetting non-determined prospective villagers is in a cycle town, not one you plan on building out.

Last edited:
Before you start over, if you do, you might want to get people to hold your items for you if you have any you like? Because then it's not totally losing everything.

If you are doing something that upsets you, don't do it. You can easily play the game without plot resetting and have an awesome village. It seems like you're making it hard on yourself unnecessarily. Picking up desired villagers isn't hard using this forum. I think the only use in resetting non-determined prospective villagers is in a cycle town, not one you plan on building out.

The only reason I've been doing it is because I don't want a villager to move in right in front of my house or somewhere terrible like that and because I'd like my dreamies to be original. But I guess I could just let villagers move in even if they're not dreamies as long as the placement is decent and just move them out and get my dreamies through the forums? Only thing is I have no money to buy them but I guess I could sell some TBT or something?

Before you start over, if you do, you might want to get people to hold your items for you if you have any you like? Because then it's not totally losing everything.

Yeah I don't really have any items or bells. I thought it would be a good idea to start completely from scratch and I didn't want to bother anyone by getting them to hold my stuff. So yeah that isnt a problem :p

Last edited:
If you don't want them to move somewhere, put a PW there. Obviously you can't do that when you start the game, but you can get rid of the villagers in the crappy places. Also, when you are expecting someone to move in you can put a large temp PW in place to keep them from moving to an area. I use the fence. See my topic on villager placement.

Also, see my topic on "Original Villagers". Might provide some insight. They don't stay original for long. Getting them in a town you plan to play in and enjoy is pretty much pointless as they don't stay original long. Kind of defeats the purpose of Animal Crossing little bit.

Last edited:
If you don't want them to move somewhere, put a PW there. Obviously you can't do that when you start the game, but you can get rid of the villagers in the crappy places. Also, when you are expecting someone to move in you can put a large temp PW in place to keep them from moving to an area. I use the fence. See my topic on villager placement.

Also, see my topic on "Original Villagers". Might provide some insight. They don't stay original for long. Getting them in a town you plan to play in and enjoy is pretty much pointless as they don't stay original long. Kind of defeats the purpose of Animal Crossing little bit.

Thanks for the help. :) Oh I know that, but I'd like to be able to redesign their homes with at least some of their original furniture in them not crappy stuff they've accumulated in some other town. But I'll check out your post regardless. :) I may be taking it all a bit too seriously... AC is supposed to be relaxing after all! :p

Back