• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Long Distance Relationships

Yeah, what happened to this thread? Used to be fairly popular.

I don't think I could ever actually commit to a relationship online, but it's amazing that other people manage to make it work for them.

My boyfriend is in the Australian Army and we're just about to move in together! My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year, and in that 12 months we have probably seen each other around.. 6 times. When we first started dated he was stationed four hours away, in a very small-town. Then he was moved down to Melbourne to a naval base, (he's not in the navy, he's in the army but they needed the numbers:)) and finally he has been stationed up in Brisbane, Queensland.

In 8 days, (OMG!:rolleyes:) I will be moving up to Brisbane to live with him. We think of it as our reward for being patient during these past 12 months - and it has definitely been tough. Sometimes the army can be so secretive, too. Like, if he goes on a training exercise, he's not allowed to even tell me where he's going, what he's doing and when he gets back he can't tell me what he did.

We have finally obtained a beautiful rental property and next Sunday he is flying down to Sydney for my formal, then the day after we are driving up together, back to Brisbane.

Knowing how long it has taken us to finally not have to say goodbye makes me want to cry happy tears, because I know it won't be this way for much longer! And then he's gone for 2 months in January out on a training exercise in the bush, so he'll miss my birthday.:mad:

Buuuuut, that's all part-and-parcel of being an army girlfriend.;) I wouldn't change it for the world!

I've been in a LDR for 2 years and 9 months! He lives in Canada and I live in the US~

I don't think I could ever actually commit to a relationship online, but it's amazing that other people manage to make it work for them.

but wot about u and tina? you guys make it work :lemon:

idk i wish i could actually.. relate to you all again.

Last edited:
Ah, I was in one for about 6 months before we stopped talking for no reason. I can message him at anytime to ask why we stopped, but it was rather tiring having to talk only through email because i don't have skype.

My boyfriend is in the Australian Army and we're just about to move in together! My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year, and in that 12 months we have probably seen each other around.. 6 times. When we first started dated he was stationed four hours away, in a very small-town. Then he was moved down to Melbourne to a naval base, (he's not in the navy, he's in the army but they needed the numbers:)) and finally he has been stationed up in Brisbane, Queensland.

In 8 days, (OMG!:rolleyes:) I will be moving up to Brisbane to live with him. We think of it as our reward for being patient during these past 12 months - and it has definitely been tough. Sometimes the army can be so secretive, too. Like, if he goes on a training exercise, he's not allowed to even tell me where he's going, what he's doing and when he gets back he can't tell me what he did.

We have finally obtained a beautiful rental property and next Sunday he is flying down to Sydney for my formal, then the day after we are driving up together, back to Brisbane.

Knowing how long it has taken us to finally not have to say goodbye makes me want to cry happy tears, because I know it won't be this way for much longer! And then he's gone for 2 months in January out on a training exercise in the bush, so he'll miss my birthday.:mad:

Buuuuut, that's all part-and-parcel of being an army girlfriend.;) I wouldn't change it for the world!

you're really strong, i commend you both

I've been in a long-distance relationship for just over a year.

He's in the US (Florida) and I'm in the UK.

It doesn't really phase me about the distance, because I truly trust him, I've totally fallen in love with him. I'm always thinking about him and I know he's the guy I wanna spend my life with. Love knows no bounds, and that's been proven by the fact that I can love someone who's so far away, but yet feels so close.

The only difficult thing is the fact he has bipolar. When I say that, I don't mean it's difficult that he has the disorder, I mean it's difficult because distance really gets in the way. There's only so much I can do or say to help him if he's going through some down time (particularly lately he hit rock bottom and I felt so bad that there was so little I could do) and that really gets me down. I hate the fact that he's sometimes there alone when he needs someone to give him a warm hug and let him know that he's safe. Either way though, I love him more than anything, and I'm never afraid to let him know how I feel and let him know that regardless of what the little voice in his head may be telling him, that he deserves the best, and if he believes that's me, then I'm gonna try my damned hardest to be the best I can be.

Regardless of the distance or whatever hurdles we face that may be exacerbated because of the distance.. I love him with all my heart, and he's the one I wanna spend my life with. We'll meet some day. ^^

Last edited:
LDRs can definitely work out as long as the two people involved can make it work. I've only been in one, we dated for nearly three years. They made me so happy and the two of us were extremely close, like I don't think I've ever been so close to a person, even if I met them online instead of "real life". I'm not completely over them yet (I was the one who broke up with them for several reasons but that doesn't make it any easier for me) and miss them so much it hurts. I only hope someday I'll be able to look back on all of the amazing memories I have with them without feeling like my heart is breaking when I do.

Uhh that got really dramatic. :p Sorry. But yeah, LDRs are hard but if you find the right person to be in one with, it's worth it. I don't regret mine, even though we did break up, I wouldn't take back dating them.

My first real relationship was a LDR. He lived in the UK, I'm on the west coast of Canada. We dated 2 and a half years exactly. We met up only twice during our relationship, which is a miracle because we were still teenagers.
I know how hard LDRs can be through experience, especially ones with huge time zone differences (we were 8 hrs difference.) I have a lot of respect for people in LDRs as well, and being in one taught me to always cherish the time I have with the people I have around me!

I have trouble committing in close distances relationships >.>

You all are quite mature and devoted people. And who can't respect that?

My boyfriend lives in New York City and I live in Canada. We've been in a LDR for 2 years and a month so far and still going strong! I know he is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with and it still makes me almost cry happy tears when he tells me honestly that he wants to marry me.

We've met IRL once back in June and he's as lovely in person. Things have been a little tough but he makes it easier for us. Both of us are committed and it's just a wonderful experience.

I really hope someday that we can live together. We're planning that once I'm done with school, I can move in with him.

my plans were to move in with my ex after school welp

i wish you guys luck in your plans ^^

I think long distance relationships would only work for me personally is if me and my partner had a set time when we would see each other again. For example, knowing that we only have a year until we are back together again and having some time to visit in-between.

my husband was in the UK and I lived in the US. we met on an online game we played together 8 years ago. We were great friends during those years. We started dating, then met up a few times. Got engaged, then I moved here to the UK and we've been happily married for a year.

Back