• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What Made You Desire "Dreamies?"

chet_manley

Bells
Switch
2630-9248-4224
I still consider myself fairly new to Animal Crossing. I played the original GameCube game when it came out for just a little bit but it has been a long hiatus until I started playing New Leaf about two months ago. And there is one major concept that I just cannot understand:

Where did the attachment to particular villagers come from?

I saw the box for the Animal Crossing 2DS XL model and noticed that Hamlet was on there. I have Hamlet in my town and thought, "Hey, cool. I guess I have one of the popular ones." Looked at a list published here...nah. I don't have any "popular" villagers. Not that this bothers me.

As far as I can tell, the characters recycle the same series of comments based on their personality, so that would leave the following reasons:
- Big fan of the animal (I like cats!)
- Big fan of the character design (I like Lolly's creepy beady eyes!)
- Big fan of the general personality (I like "uchi" characters!)

I guess one could factor in nostalgia as well, but I have no recollection of the townsfolk of my GameCube days.

This game provides a lot of control--design your house, design your town. But I don't believe the game was intended to feature a marketplace for village folk. So I am just curious why the folks who buy/trade villagers do and why they like certain characters more than others.

For what it is worth, this is not a thread to talk about Marshal and why he is or is not better than everyone else.

For Punchy, I really liked
1. he was a cat
2. he was lazy
3. he was my first cat and first lazy, so I feel nostalgic while seeing him.
4. his design is awesome

Mac is an awesome dog in an aloha tee. He has an amazing house with great music playing. He has a cute dog house and a swimming pool. The swimming pool also has a rubber ducky for him to play with. Mac is a jock, so he shares my love for sports. So, Mac is a pretty cool dog. He is very sweet also, despite being a jock villager!

I love all of the dogs!

Last edited:
I easily attach myself to many things, and I guess my attachment to villagers is based off of a couple things:
1.) I like the species
2.) I like the character designs/think the villager looks good appearance wise
3.) I like the villager’s house/exterior/interior
4.) I like the villager’s personality type

Overall, however, it’s usually that I simply enjoy the villager- their designs, their personality. I don’t base my dream villagers off of popularity. I don’t care how popular a villager is, if I want them, and I genuinely like them, then I’m going to have them in my town. I know there are people out there who don’t have the same views about this as I do, and that’s okay, but I think basing whether or not you like a villager based only on how popular/unpopular they are, is pretty dumb :-/

Soleil is my favorite villager currently, and it was because the very first town I started had her and now it feels like she's my in game best friend so I had to have her in my new town as well, plus I think she's really cute! Other villagers that are on my Dreamies list are ones that I thought were cute just from looking at the list of villagers, completely disregarding popularity! I personally care more about the villagers' designs and less about their personality or their home.

When I first came across these forums, I wasn't aware of the term and when I found out about it after a few days it made me realizing that 'dreamies' are basically me being in control of who I can interact with in my town, and I find that pretty appealing.

I usually make themes for my towns and will get dream villagers that match with the theme/what I want in my town ��
But overall it's due to general design and nostalgia from previous games

most of mine are my old favourite friends form back in the wild world days, which my brother and i played a heck ton of, so its a whole bunch of nostalgia having them back in my town, for the rest i wanted to make sure i had at least one of each type of personality in my town, so i went with ones i proffered the designs of

Julian was my dreamie because I used to really like unicorns as a kid, so there was nostalgia there for me. Plus I love his personality! Roscoe was also my dreamie, because he was one of the first villagers I got in an earlier game, so I'm attached to him because of that.

I guess some people like certain characters for different reasons. It could be sentimental value, such as having the character in a previous game when they were a kid, or just because they like their design or theme. For me, villagers stick out to me for sentimental value as well as aesthetics, for example, I like Rasher because he was in both my WW and CF towns, although I don't particularly like his design, whereas I love villagers such as Muffy and Bangle because of their designs. At the moment, I'm not actively searching for 'dreamies' though because I'm quite happy with my current set of villagers.

Olivia is my current favorite villager, there's a small story behind her though i also think she's the cutest of the cat villagers >v< i remember spending a few hours back when i first got new leaf, after i'd constructed the campground, resetting for Ankha to be in my campground, and just when i was about to give up, she appeared. i invited her in and we had a good couple weeks together. then, i misplaced my 3ds for a few days which i thought was no biggie but when i turned it back on, Ankha had left :(

Olivia moved in after a couple days directly on top of Ankha's old house plot and i loved her immediately, and i never looked back lol

i also am planning my second town atm, and my dreamies for that town are thematic, since i'm making it a Japanese-esque village, so they include villagers like Zucker and Coco :)

People accuse me of only having the villagers in my town because they?re popular. Which is absolutely not true. I choose villagers based on their design, so it?s not my fault lots of other people like the same animals I do. In fact, I first found out about Marshal in January 2014, a full two and a half years before I joined this site and learned about ?popularity tiers?. A girl on Miiverse made a post that featured her and Marshal and I wanted him immediately. He was just so cute and I imagined him cuddled up on my mayor?s shoulder as she did her daily duties. I?m 100% certain I?d like Marshal just as much even if he was in the lowest tier, same with my other villagers.

I picked most of my dreamies because of appearence; they're based on things I really like.

Leopold looks like something out of the 70s,
Pietro is a rainbow,
Willow is yellow,
Bangle is a cute tiger,
Celia reminds me of flowers,
Olaf reminds me of MJ/a matador,
Etc etc

But some of them--like Cole, Soleil, and Filbert--I like because they moved in randomly and I became attached to them :p

Last edited:
Usually because I've had them once. That or bc I really like their overall theme like Chrissy and Francine are pretty interesting and I like Ketchup and Julia because they look like a Tomato and Peacock respectively. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Idk I either just knew them since before & love them or I love their design. House exterior doesn't really factor for me as I would just work with the design around their house.

They're cuties! The character design is adorable, interesting or quirky which I guess is why they're so popular. Lolly has been my dream villager for such a long time because of her cute little eyes and Ankha has (in my opinion) excellent design and is a very unique character.

Honestly I just look at the character designs. When I tried to make a list of villagers I wanted, I tried to pick the cutest from each personality. That didn?t work out too well because for example, I couldn?t find any cranky villagers I liked. I decided to look up the PWP cranky villagers suggest and concluded that I don?t need to have one in my town. - That?s how my list developed (and still is).

Then there is Punchy and well ....he?s just Punchy. I didn?t have him on my list, maybe he was too "plain" so I didn?t notice him while going through the list of animals. Then a few days ago, I saw someone with a Punchy-cosplay and fell for these droopy-eyes. I did some plot resetting and then fate (or just the fact that I didn?t have other lazy villagers) brought him into my town.
When he had moved into town fully, I went to visit him straight away, but he wasn?t at home.
Instead the door just had the message "I?m out looking for food"
- then I knew he was my soulmate.

Last edited:
For me, it's mostly nostalgia based. My dreamies are mostly the villagers I had in my Wild World and GC days. I think of them all, only Stitches is significantly popular; he was one of my three starting villagers in my first WW town.

i'll just go with why i like each of my dreamies !!
marshal is a cute, moody squirrel with soft cream colors (my favorite color !!) again, like a lot of people said, i would love him even if he was tier five ♥
genji is my favorite villager of all time with another moody appearance and the funniest catchphrase. he's also my favorite design... he's just so gosh darn pretty!!
hamlet looks like a superhero and hamsters are one of my favorite species because theyre tiny and chubby !! plus i don't really like the other hamsters lol
tabby... she was my first villager and my first acnl best friend. i love her to pieces, especially her little pig nose!! she was someone i wanted even before i got the game too
rooney was a huge dreamie who moved in on his own like marshal, and i dont know why but he looks like an anime character to me which made me laugh and his neon colors arent bad !! i usually hate neon
dizzy is the cutest villager, hands down. got his card just in case i lose him someday. just a simple elephant
lastly LILY.... adorable frog child ;v; she doesnt even carry an umbrella.... a precious bb <3

I wanted Pietro really early on, before I had a copy of ACNL. I saw Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of the game and he got Pietro in his town.

Back