• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What do you think would make AC:NL better?

The following updates would be great if they happened...

:p THE GOURMET UPDATE: Bored with only eating raw fruits, cake and candy? Had enough of only coffee and shakes? Confused as to why the supermarket sells no groceries? Frustrated with having to buy fake art from Redd just to eat something besides fruit?!
Well, no more of that! Introducing The Gourmet Update! Now you can:
-Give new meaning to your cooking appliances by preparing food with them! Combine ingredients and make something yummy!
-Buy candy at the convenience store, raw ingredients at the supermarket, meals at the Roost and more!
-Expand the coffee shop! Can you say bakery, diner, and resturant?
-Have a drink! Would you like some freshly-squeezed fruit juice? Or some tea? Or perhaps a soda, smoothie or good ol' water...
-Consult your fellow gourmets! Villagers may take an interest in the joys of cooking and share a recipe or two with their pals!

:cool: THE GRAPEVINE UPDATE: It was pitiful. Players would open their gates, wait for 10 minutes, close their gates and check the list. Meanswhile, the other player would check their list as the first is waiting for theirs to load, and open their gates while the other gates are open. They would then close theirs, just before the first checked their list, to check THEIR list.
It was miscommunication. And it was BAD.
Then, Nintendo said, "Let there be personal messaging!" And so it was. And the community saw that it was good.

:D THE LIKE-A-LOOK UPDATE: I once was blindspotted, but now I see south! Introducing the option to view the world from whole new... Well, not new, but new for this game... point of view! See that ^ button, the one you use to straighten your view? Well, press it to switch to a top-down perspective! Enjoy the wonders of seeing equally in all directions! Never scare away a beetle you didn't see, despite it being a mere 1 metre south of you, ever again! Want to see the beautiful night sky, check the weather or see the meteors? Easy! Pressing ^ cycles between Top-Down view, the signature New Leaf view, and flat view! Alternatively, if you own a NEW 3DS, the Z buttons work the same purpose! Enjoy!

;) THE GET-A-LIFE UPDATE: Ever noticed how some days you make 10,000 Bells, but the next day can hardly put together two silver coins? Get a job, hippie! Contribute to society for once! Certain professions may become availiable at certain points based on what you're good at and who has the ol' "Help Wanted" sign hanging. All they ask is some effort, devotion and some time out of your day, and you'll get a steady pay for doing what you love! Now you can:
-Help out Timmy and Tommy! Sometimes, even two people can't do everything at once. And sometimes two kids need some time to just be kids! Wouldn't you like to run some tasks for a kid like them?
-Become a clothier! Poor Sable is being worked to the bone! You seem pretty well at this whole design thing... Have you ever dreamed of getting PAID to make pro designs?
-Entertain! Shrunk is worried that Club LOL is becoming a one-trick pony. And let's face it: it is. Compose music and fulfill your dreams of custom music! It will be a little hard at first, but keep working on what instruments, notes and such until the little song in your head becomes reality!
-Embrace the joys of cooking! If you find the help wanted sign in the window of The Roost or any of its upgrades, then sign up to become a shift cook! Now you can get paid, enjoy the job and see your friends enjoy your efforts! ...Or not. But if you got the job, you're probably good enough at the art.
-And more!

Gourmet: I LOVE IT.
Grapevine: Obviously, 'Tendo would have to set a few rules for this to avoid pulling a Swapnote. No drawing option, you can't swear, you can't message too quickly (4-minute time wait).
Like-a-Look: If there was an option besides the 3 you already mentioned, it would be the free camera mode.
Get-a-Life: Are promotions available?

I know hahahaha Nintendo would never do it, but....

...actual multiple save files, for multiple villages.

And different (permanent) skin colours.

And also seconding what everyone else said; a more reasonable way of getting PWPs, more storage/separate pocket space for tools, etc.

1. Multiple town save files.
2. Design your own map!
3. Jobs! Earn bells by being employed part-time, (like at the Roost!)
4. Choose where villagers move in.
5. DRAPES. Everybody can see in my windows! (I've seen that hhd has them!)
6. Different kinds of trees, (weeping willows, birch, etc.)

-more villager dialogue
-ability to choose villager house placement
-place paths with a grid-like system on the touch screen
-more qr code slots
-more storage for items
-bigger houses or more rooms
-pwps on the beach
-NPC dialogue needs to be helpful.. It's so tedious talking to blathers where he says the same thing over and over. Or tim/tommy when they ask me if I need to know how to use this, welcome to the store, etc, or porter. I wish there was a way for villagers to have speech bubbles above their head that doesn't require you to press A, so they can still Say "welcome to the store blah blah" without making the process feel so slow. and if I wanted to know how to use an item I could walk up to them for it to choose the option like "I have a question about an item". Buying wrapping paper or other stuff is so aggravating. Or going to porter takes forever. I wish I could have all the options at a screen in one go.
-ability to plant trees and bushes in long lines without them dying

-choose where the villager can live
-change the rock location
-add cooking system:D like the one in harvest moon

things i have noticed would make the game much easier:
if the villagers showed up on the map, or at the least when you use the megaphone
if you could set where all buildings are placed in town (drives me crazy that they aren't uniformly spaced and such)
and if you could stack all items, almost all other games allow it

Just getting rid of the villagers move in anywhere feature would've improved the game a lot more for me. I don't care if you got to decide where they moved in, or if they bought the sign posts back, I just wish they got rid of it.

I've always taken breaks and gone back to playing for every AC title, except NL, because I literally hated how villagers can move in anywhere, and that really killed replay value for me. I've always enjoyed designing my town but I never wanted to in NL because I didn't want to waste a lot of time designing a certain area of my town only to have some villager move in and ruin it right after I finished. So it really cut down on a **** load of potential play time for me. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved NL, I got a good ~1,000 hours of play time on it, but I stopped playing like a year ago, and I have no plans to play it ever again (unlike other AC games where I could stop playing for a year and happily come back and play again), because I see no replay value as I can't design my town. I mean yeah, I could plot reset, but seriously, I shouldn't have to go out of my way for something when the feature was perfectly fine in the previous instalments.

A hibernation mode would make it perfect. Sometimes I just can't get on and I fear my villagers leaving.

I think it could be improved by adding in several things that are in HHD, like choosing your skin/hair/eye colour at the start, the controls for decorating houses and buildings, and the ability to decorate animals' houses. Also, being able to choose where they live.

It would be nice if there a way to transfer bells bit faster to the person maybe a credit card or a quick check ) and you can move your villager to where you want them to go ,And maybe more qr space

Last edited:
A less clunky outdoor furniture system, like what appears to be in Happy Home Designer.

Better variety in villager interaction. From what I played of NL, it really seemed to fall short on this area, almost as bad as City Folk... And I can't lie, that's really bad. A lot of things were done very right in NL, but I hope in the next AC more attention is put into this.

I agree with everyone who wants the option to place villager houses wherever we want. More on character storage would be nice too

To be honest I think what would make AC:NL better would be to have a car to drive in when u leave the house so up can go to places quicker. For example. If u get chase by bees, u can drive the car and out run the bees. I hope they can do that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would love it if they made a car for the village people and us to, to ride in. Like we would have an extra basement next door so we can park our car in. Plus up would be able to go places faster.
They need a rode to like if ur crossing the street.
I think they should have Animal Crossing: New Leaf like relating to our real lifestyle. And even getting to have ur own family.
ONE LAST THING. I think they should make a school filled with the villagers taking about school and work while they are in the school. And they should have a place that we can work so we can get money faster when u run out of stuff to sell.

More animal interaction. I loved that in the gamecube and ds version of the game you could do as many chores as you wanted in a single day, and their hobbies would kind of be a chore too. But it feels incredibly limited in the newer releases (I think you can do up to 3 chores a day?). Hide and seek is great and all BUT I WANT MORE CHORES.

Also, Katrina being an absolute must is bull. It especially sucks for newer players because they'd either have to travel to a town with katrina in it, or have the lovely phone. What kind of nonsense is that?!

Other than that I love the game u0u

Definitely multiple town save files. That's all I'd ask for!!!
Also, choosing where do your villagers live... maybe even being able to construct real paths and not just using patterns... there are millions way to make this game even better ^^ . Thankfully, it has definitely improved since gamecube/wild world!
Just getting rid of the villagers move in anywhere feature would've improved the game a lot more for me. I don't care if you got to decide where they moved in, or if they bought the sign posts back, I just wish they got rid of it.

I've always taken breaks and gone back to playing for every AC title, except NL, because I literally hated how villagers can move in anywhere, and that really killed replay value for me. I've always enjoyed designing my town but I never wanted to in NL because I didn't want to waste a lot of time designing a certain area of my town only to have some villager move in and ruin it right after I finished. So it really cut down on a **** load of potential play time for me. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved NL, I got a good ~1,000 hours of play time on it, but I stopped playing like a year ago, and I have no plans to play it ever again (unlike other AC games where I could stop playing for a year and happily come back and play again), because I see no replay value as I can't design my town. I mean yeah, I could plot reset, but seriously, I shouldn't have to go out of my way for something when the feature was perfectly fine in the previous instalments.

I agree! Have you heard about the villager reset trick? I actually found out about it recently and haven't tried it out yet.

Last edited:
-Villagers interacting with items in their house and catching bugs/fishes outside (not only walking with net/fish rod acting like they're doing something) - they could even catch only one or two random bugs/fish but it would make them more lively.
-vilagers talking between themselves/sitting on benches or visiting each other more often.
-more space - no, wardrobes/lockers are way too small for my needs, I'm in-game hoarder and my room looks like dumping ground, or at least separate them, so if you have 4 wardrobes in house let them use separate slots for items (and not just packing everything into same one space avaiable from 5 closets in the house)
-let us place vilagers houses - for god's sake we're the mayor, aren't we? (still salty that forced vilager plopped his house directly into my 2nd orchard bleh)
-also, as we are the mayor of our little town we should get the possibility to slightly coax unwanted villagers to move-out - I don't ask for letting me kick them out of my town while they're still in boxes from moving-in but yeah, you get the idea. Just slightly, slightly, day after day so we can quicken the process.

Back