• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Trying to play a year of each Animal Crossing

Isabelle_K

Bells
I started New Leaf just over a month ago, the original about a week and a half ago, and WW and CF within the past few days. While I've played New Leaf and WW extensively before, I've never really experienced the original or CF properly, and I've never played a full year on any of them. I'm not sure I'll keep it up for the whole year, but I'll give it a go.

New Leaf obviously has the most content, but in my opinion stripped the villagers and NPCs of personality. WW is lacking on things to do, but has the most personality in my opinion, especially with the NPCs having episodes throughout the year. It's like WW and New Leaf are on either end of a spectrum, with CF and the original being in between, which is probably why I haven't been able to get into those two before.

Last edited:
Don't forget to eat and sleep. Lol

I couldn't go back to the old games.
They were great back in the day, but NL is just too good.

I attempted this over both this year and last year but never could. I always ended up playing New Leaf and City folk every day or two but the others weekly. Thats still my schedule now! Its a bit too repetitive and busy to do each game every day but with the weekly thing its much easier and more enjoyable! Maybe I will finally finish my encyclopedia in Gamecube and Wild World!

I'll admit, I agree with most people that City Folk is the weakest in the series. I've tried playing it, but the whole villager interaction system (where, in order to get new dialogue with villagers, you have to leave the map and come back) is super tedious to me. I've played more of the original than City Folk, but I feel like Wild World, as far as villager interactions go, nailed it the best. There's a reason my biggest hope for the next Animal Crossing game is the ability to choose which dialogue style villagers use. For example, if I could play New Horizons with the Wild World dialogue, I'd love that! In older games, there was an option to change the sound when villagers spoke, so why not do the same thing with the way they speak?
At any rate, I look forward to seeing how this goes!

Back