• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Trav and Nick's Nintendo Weekly 01/26/2008

SL92

Bells
taannwzz4.png

What's all this? TWO Days of Ruin reviews, both out on the same day as TaNNW? Coincidence? I think not. Conspiracy? Most definitely. In any case, seeing both reviews put a damper on my urge to review the game in all of its post-apocalyptic glory.

Here's what else is happening this week, though, in the world of Nintendo DS. Surprise!

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Review by Shadow_Link_92 (Nick)

boxartgw1.png

Published By: Sega
Developed By: Sega
Genre: Sport
Players: 1-4, single-and multi-cartridge
ESRB: E
NA Release Date: January 22, 2008

Wow, Mario and Sonic, both worlds colliding at possibly the biggest sporting event ever to hit Beijing? This seems perfect! Oh wait, never mind, Sega is making it. Without Nintendo.

A few months back, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games was released for the Wii, and for an unknown reason, not for the ultra-popular Nintendo handheld. Ultimately, the almighty Wii version was an above average Mario/Sonic/Olympic themed Track & Field remix. The game wasn't nearly at the top of any given Christmas list, maybe perhaps for some old-school gamers. It controlled like a quirky mini-game compilation. Has the Nintendo DS, and its delayed release, changed anything?

At first, you'll want to jump into the games, but there is something stopping that. The menu, albeit polished, is difficult to navigate. You'll have to spend about 10 minutes exploring the various options and game modes to find exactly where everything is. The good news is, if you can find them, there are a truckload of characters to choose from and tons of extras. Once you get into the game itself, you have to read a little on-screen instruction manual to know what you're going to do. Does it sound like a mini-game collection yet?

As far as gameplay goes, the DS rendition of Mario and Sonic offers something unique from its Wii counterpart, although the actions are a little repetitive. Honestly, the Wii version's waggling is deeper than the DS' scratch fest. Most all of the events include rubbing the stylus back and forth (where have we seen this before?) or in certain directions. There are some healthy variations, though. Cycling actually involves face buttons, as does table tennis, to offer up something that won't destroy your beloved DS. AI can be an issue for fans looking for a challenge- computer characters will act awfully lenient at most times, and can be rubberband also. I suggest multiplayer for a fuller experience.

mariosonicqd9.png

I love the sound of screaming touchscreens in the morning.
Graphically, the handheld delivers Mario and Sonic almost perfectly. The game doesn't run at a terribly fast rate, so frame rate isn't an enormous problem. The background music isn't extraordinary, but fits the characters and the setting. There is some limited voicing from the announcer and each of the characters, but again, nothing extraordinary.

When it comes to bang for your buck, this game comes in just below such monsters as Animal Crossing: Wild World and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. There are plenty of different challenges, single cartridge multiplayer, some online functionality, characters from both Mario and Sonic worlds to try, and a big helping of events, even if they are shallow. So if you are the old-school fan, give Mario and Sonic a go and see how it feels. You might regret it, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

Presentation: 7.5
I can't find where to go! Oh, there it is. Some menu confusion, but plenty of options to make up for it.

Graphics: 9.0
Sega delivered a great-looking experience, and tried to stay on par with Nintendo's own Mario sports games.

Gameplay: 6.5
A lot of scratching, rubbing and flicking. The dreaded rubberband AI.

Sound: 8.0
Above-average music that just shouts Mario and Sonic, and some voicing.

Lasting Appeal: 9.0
Tons of events, characters, and challenges. Multiplayer only adds to the hours you'll spend playing this game.

Final Score: 7.5

stagesrg7.png

atrophiesez1.png

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Preview by Travis M. Part 2: Assist Trophies

In this part of the preview of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I will be going over the new Items called Assist Trophies that have been announced for Brawl! These Assist Trophies appear as capsules that you must pick up to activate. When activated, a random character or characters will appear and use an attack or do their special. Here are the ones we know so far!

Samurai Goroh

assistGOROH.jpg

When released, Samurai Goroh appears from the F-Zero series appears and attacks your opponents with his sword. He will slash away and do some nice damage in the process.

Dr. Wright

assist03_070710aWRIGHT.jpg

Appearing from the Super Nintendo version of SimCity, Dr. Wright will summon huge skyscrapers from the ground which will send you sky high if you get hit, so try and stay in the air when this guy makes an appearance!

Knuckle Joe

KNUCKLE.jpg

Knuckle Joe packs a huge punch when he rises from the Assist Trophy. He will use his technique called the

Yeah, with all of my studying for my exam on Friday, and the 5 this week, I've been unable to fully complete the update for today, but like last week, expect it on Sunday. And in case you're wondering, it will be an Assist Trophy update.

:D

I purchased Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games today. It's a great game and it's definitely better than the Wii version.

Hmm, good review... it seems like the DS version is much better than the Wii one. Not surprised, really. Developers are used to the DS infrastructure now, still getting used to the Wii one...

Snoopdogga said:
Propaganda Man said:
Snoopdogga said:
I purchased Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games today. It's a great game and it's definitely better than the Wii version.
>.<
What did I do wrong?
You didn't do anything wrong. You did something which I think was stupid. You bought pretty much the same game for both the Wii and the DS after being told again how great NMH is. It's fine if you wanted this game more than NMH, but not really after buying it for both systems!

To me, the DS version of Mario and Sonic is a bit better than the Wii`s. And yeah, probably because Sega is more familiar with the hardware.us

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games looks fun. If anything, I'll get the Wii version. I'd rather have the actual feel of the Olympics than just pressing buttons and drawing the the stylus.

Propaganda Man said:
Snoopdogga said:
Propaganda Man said:
Snoopdogga said:
>.<
What did I do wrong?
You didn't do anything wrong. You did something which I think was stupid. You bought pretty much the same game for both the Wii and the DS after being told again how great NMH is. It's fine if you wanted this game more than NMH, but not really after buying it for both systems!
No More Heroes doesn't come out in Canada until February 7th, 2008.

Back