• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Nintendo Discontinuing Twitter/X Integration on the Switch on June 10, 2024

Halloqueen

Squirtle Squad
Bells
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
I don't know how many people here on the forums have gotten use out of the Twitter integration on the Switch, but I saw this the other day and thought it would be good to make people aware of the upcoming changes just in case.

Here's the announcement.

On June 10, 2024, Nintendo will discontinue integration for X (formerly Twitter) as well as the ability to send friend requests to friends on social media (social media integration) from within the Nintendo Switch friend suggestions feature.

You will no longer be able to:

- Upload screenshots to Twitter from the Album.
- Upload Super Smash Bros. Ultimate screenshots from the Album to Smash World in the Nintendo Switch Online smart device app.

Regarding Splatoon 3:

- When posting from the mailbox in Splatsville, Inkopolis Plaza, or Inkopolis Square, you will no longer be able to post to X (formerly Twitter) or Facebook; the data will be sent directly to Nintendo servers. This change will allow users to make posts without one of these social media accounts, but images posted by players younger than 13 will not be visible to other players.

- The image created for the post will be copied to the Album in the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu. Images in the Album can be transferred to a smart device wirelessly or to a PC via USB cable.

Regarding Splatoon 2:

- You will no longer be able to post to X (formerly Twitter) from the mailbox in Inkopolis Square.

- The characters that appear and posts that are displayed in the Square will be replaced by data already prepared within the game software.

Regarding Social Media Friend Requests:

- The feature for sending friend requests to social media friends via the Friend Suggestions menu on My Page, in the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu, will no longer be available.

- You can continue to use the friend suggestions feature from smart devices, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U.

I'm someone who had been utilizing Twitter to upload my screenshots for the past few years, so it's kind of inconvenient, but Twitter has also become more of a hellhole so I guess it's good that I'll soon be free from Mr. Musk's Wild Ride. Guess I'll be switching to Facebook to upload my screenshots. Could always just take the microSD card out and upload it straight to the computer but it's just a lot more of a hassle. In any case, I'm glad that the TBT World Championships are taking place before all this happens.

It's even funnier because Nintendo was the last one to pull their support. Sony and Microsoft had done so already. It's funny watching Musk ruin Twitter beyond belief. Man wants to have a Mission to Mars and he can't even handle a social media site. I also heard talk that he wants to charge all newly made accounts $1 or more per year to be more than read only accounts. Which just means if this is true it will eventually be all accounts need to pay or be read only.

It's going to be a hassle trying to get any video and images saved now, but hopefully Nintendo realizes this and finds a good solution for their fans. They should know their customers still want to show their screenshots and videos. The internet is not going anywhere and most people want to connect and share. They're known for being archaic and not getting with the times. Hopefully they get on this.

I first thought Nintendo is doing this because Twitter has been littered with hate speech and conspiracy theories and that the site refuses to moderate these offensive tweets (which is why more than a few companies stopped advertising on Twitter). But when I looked up the reason why Nintendo is discontinuing support, it’s because there’s a change in the API and how expensive the change is. Either way, Elon Musk is to blame.

I mostly send out friend requests using the options for 3DS and smartphone users from apps that are Nintendo properties and players I have interacted with online. I barely got anything from Twitter. Facebook got me quite a few friends but that is it.

Nintendo: we like money, pay us for online
Also Nintendo: Twitter costs too much, we need to stop using it

why are you sending mixed messages, Nintendo?

I mainly shell out money for Nintendo Online + Expansion Pass for the Online Retro game service and so I can use the online features for NH, Pokémon, and occasionally a few other games that use the service to get DLC.

I heard about this and it’s disappointing. I use to upload to twitter more often . With my new phone it’s been easier to just upload to my phone instead. I can see Nintendo not wanted to pay more for it.

There goes my final reason for having a twitter account at all.. I'm surprised it took them this long to unlink twitter

But how am I gonna upload my ACNH screenshots now?!

There goes my final reason for having a twitter account at all.. I'm surprised it took them this long to unlink twitter

But how am I gonna upload my ACNH screenshots now?!
I think facebook still works lol. If you check where you linked your account to on the Switch, there were a few options. You can also pull out the small card in the switch and upload everything directly to a device and then go from there.

Or like take a picture of your tv/switch screen with your phone.

Overall Nintendo needs to think of something and not just expect people to run through hoops like it's the 2010s.

Not surprised at all with the way Twitter has been going (I refuse to call it X). Though it doesn’t personally affect me much as while I used to use this feature it was mainly so I could post to just save it to my phone and then deleted it right after. Ever since they added the direct to phone QR feature I no longer use it. Sucks for people who actively post and like sharing their photos and clips on social media.

Also a shame that posting will be lost in Splatoon 2 altogether. Sure most people (myself included) have moved on to 3, but I like to visit older games from time to time and 1 was so barren when it’s posts got shutdown.

No big loss in my opinion, as I fully quit Twitter in 2020 and pretty much social media as a whole. I also refuse to call it "X" as I think it's the worst company name change of all time (it makes me think it promotes NSFW stuff). They should know that they're not doing this change correctly when they're still having to refer to themselves as "Twitter" almost constantly a year afterwards, and posts are still officially called "tweets". I mean, come on. All Twitter is doing is digging a deeper hole.

I won't miss it if it fully goes under.

I myself never really cared for Twitter, but it does hurt the community who do in fact use it. Now they have to have a required use of a Smartphone to take photos from their switch soon.

No big loss in my opinion, as I fully quit Twitter in 2020 and pretty much social media as a whole. I also refuse to call it "X" as I think it's the worst company name change of all time (it makes me think it promotes NSFW stuff). They should know that they're not doing this change correctly when they're still having to refer to themselves as "Twitter" almost constantly a year afterwards, and posts are still officially called "tweets". I mean, come on. All Twitter is doing is digging a deeper hole.

I won't miss it if it fully goes under.
I think that the name will go back to Twitter on the account in several states you can’t trademark a Letter. California is really strict with that rule. In the 80s, Hasbro learned about this law when they were creating Jem and the Holograms when the original idea was to have a character named Monica secretly being a pop singer called M which stood for Music and the M had a double meaning. But since M couldn’t be trademarked, they had to use Jem and Jerrica as the names.

Back