time traveling backwards new mechanics?

Underneath The Stars

거기 너 i fancy you
Bells
Tasty Cake
i finally gave in and did campsite method to invite villagers but i noticed time traveling back has different mechanics now... before (new leaf) it counts as 1 day forward (a new day) but now it seems that you just go back to that day? isabelle didn’t even do announcements, and the house exterior which i asked tom nook to do didn’t change. i didn’t receive shopping orders as well. why so? what’s the new mechanics when time traveling back...

Last edited:
did it change? i just did some cycling today and never noticed it (though i did actually go a few days too far back, so maybe that's why i saw nothing)

The day only "resets" when you travel too far, I think? My campsite method reset was like this: I went 7 days forward, check one by one until I got the announcement for a visitor, then travel more 7 days, then one by one, until another announcement or hitting June, when I would go back to day 1. My starting point was 1st May. I realized that the starting day only would reset when I went as far as 27th or 28th May.

I noticed this too! I was TTing at the beginning and I went forward to the 3rd of April or something and then back to the 1st, no new day announcement, things I bought at the Shop were still SOLD when I was on the 3rd in real life. I still think it counted as a single day as I got to 30 active days far too early.

I think it depends on how far back you go, for instance, I once accidentally TTd one month forward in time, and when I went back the new days counted as new days.

Some things are somehow remembered by the game though, I kept on traveling forward one day at a time during the Nature Day initiatives and once I went back to the current day, every day after that still counted as new, but I didn't get the fancy Nature Day daily missions cos I had already done them on that day (and traveled back).

Would be curious to find out exactly how it works, but I don't TT enough to properly look into it myself.

did it change? i just did some cycling today and never noticed it (though i did actually go a few days too far back, so maybe that's why i saw nothing)

that’s what i noticed too, when you go far & go back (i did so while i was doing the campsite trick) it counts as a new day it seems as isabelle does the announcements.

but then i scanned marshal, to move him again and ofc i avoided time traveling backwards to not get the house exterior glitch. so i moved forward instead until he moves in, and planned to just return to current day. i was on may 11, then now back to may 8, and isabelle didn’t do announcements this time. i also talked to marina & she said we’ve been seeing a each other a lot today. i was so confused!

other things i noticed
-no hybrids
-mail & exterior changes are not applied
-nooks & able sisters items changed
-leif is visiting (i forgot if he was there also on the may 8th previously)

The game tends to 'remember' what you did the week you're playing on. The game is treating it as you've already loaded the game on that day once before, so anything that happens on a new day never happens.

The game tends to 'remember' what you did the week you're playing on. The game is treating it as you've already loaded the game on that day once before, so anything that happens on a new day never happens.

i thought that too, but it was may 11 -> may 8 and shouldn’t that be a different week?
Post automatically merged:

time travel faq

basically it counts as a "fake day" and things don't advance. some things i've noticed to get reset (nook shopping daily stock, flower watering status)

oh also your turnip price pattern will change completely if you TT even a minute backwards.

oh thanks for the link, should be helpful

The only repercussions that I have experienced is that your friendship with villagers will decrease or start from square one. I also accidentally went back to March while I was still in April and everything seemed fine. I went with my gut and thought if it was like NL, it will only count as one day if I TT forward back to my original date. With bated breath, I TT'd a whole month forward. No one moved out but I had bed head, a cockroach and my villagers treated me like I abandoned them. Also, the next day Deirdre wanted to move. I believe the friendship ladder went down as they gifted me those Nintendo hats that we first got during the early stages of March or whenever you started the game.

However, if you are doing the campsite trick. I don't know if you care about friendship penalties :)

i'm like 80% sure a recent update changed the way that time travelling back mechanics works tbh!!! because i noticed this change recently as well

since the start of the game i have been cycling through march/april/may in order to move out villagers without going too far in the future and it used to be that yes, the first day you travel back to doesn't count as a new day (ie, i travel back from may 8th to april 20 and april 20 is not a 'new' day), but you could then travel forward and experience the same day (ie. april 21st, which i have visited real time and TT before) as a new day MANY times lol. i definitely went through april 4 times before the update, but when i TT'd afterwards, i noticed that yeah, nook's cranny retained day information - what i'd bought, what was selling, etc. not sure about other changes, i think able's seemed to do new materials still??? so weird tho.

it's p frustrating a change bc, if you've already said you don't care if people TT, nintendo - why this strange change all of a sudden ??

Everyone said what I would’ve. One thing I want to add especially if you’re doing the campsite trick is that you should always TT forward. You have pretty slim odds meeting campers again on days or months in a certain year you’ve already TTed to. So if you TT back to present day and start the trick over you won’t see many results unless you go to a date you haven’t been to yet.

I think villagers who want to move out get reset even if you TT backwards, also. I'm currently in the process of trying to get Apollo to move to my friend's island, and when I went back to May 8 (today) from May 11, I was able to find a new villager who wanted to move who previously didn't.

If I'm trying to move a specific villager and the game chooses the villager I want to keep, I TT backwards (or sync the clock) to reset, then move forward again.

Back