• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Opinions On Social Media

ngl, i do take issue with the "people can't accept others' (political) opinions" assertion that i've seen repeatedly crop up in this thread because, 9 times out of 10, that's just people refusing to not be racist or homophobic etc. and/or having a tantrum because minorities are vocal and entering the mainstream, so to speak. obviously nobody with a shred of decency is going to accept or agree with bigoted "opinions" -- i refuse to call them that -- so it rightfully gets called out and then dismissed as toxic or discourse.

look at it this way: if you removed bigots from a platform, the platform would become an overall more positive place re: politics. if you removed everyone else from a platform, it would still be rife with toxicity, hatred and discrimination.

in this argument, social media isn't the problem, bigots are. just something worth mentioning.

I think it’s good to keep in touch with your peers and friends and family, but not a good place to get so absorbed into. People can post pictures of their pets, friends, families, hobbies, etc. or even their unpopular opinions. I use Snapchat for my family and Instagram very rarely. I also have Discord but it’s mainly for talking to one friend.

It feels hard to share an opinion online without someone else being offended and calling you names. I try to remain neutral and keep my opinions to myself. It can be pretty scary having others go after because of what you believe in.

Do I use it? Yes.
Do I think it’s beneficial to my self-image or my mental health? Absolutely not.
Instagram is the worst offender for me. I can feel my self-esteem going down every time I open the app.
I mostly use Snapchat with my close friends, so I tend to have a more positive experience there.

Aside from Discord I don’t use social media anymore. I quit Twitter first because of all the petty drama that would infect my feed. Some nasty kids from my old high school also doxxed my account so I had even fewer reasons to use it. The other site I quit was YouTube. I kept getting recommended depressing philosophy and “exposed” videos. Getting off of those websites did wonders for my mental health. I can spend more time doing things I enjoy rather than be consumed by the nastier sides of the internet. Discord is by means perfect, but it’s easier to curate what I see.

If you’re careful about who you follow, social media can be a great way to meet new people. Just try to not let the algorithms recommend you content you don’t want to see.

When I logged in to twitter the other day to find dream addresses to visit in ACNH I stumbled on "discourse" that basically amounted to "if you use a skintone darker than you in real life, you are a racist" and I just lost at least 20 years off my lifespan reading it. People on twitter are literally so obnoxious
(btw, I don't think it needs to be said why this line of reasoning is incredibly stupid but I just want to go ahead and say it's okay to use any skintone you want, speaking as a brown person myself. It's a game, I genuinely couldn't care less)

So I browse places like twitter and instagram and tumblr for content but I try to keep posting to a minimum since these places are just extremely toxic and you can get "cancelled" for just about anything (aka middle and high-school aged kids looking for a target to cyberbully)
but I don't want to just discount them entirely because I've met a lot of great friends online and if I want to have a successful career in my field, eventually I'm going to have to take advantage of a platform to network and put myself out there (not looking forward to that because I'm a huge introvert)
Exactly this. "Discourse" is finding its way to every corner of the internet and is unavoidable now 😑

I'm also super introverted and need to put myself out there, too, so I feel ya 😭 It's really difficult...! Let's do our best! ✨💪

all I've had for years is discord, I have Twitter insta and sc which basically collect dust and a messenger account (recently disabled my old fb account since I never used it either).

I never really had a bad experience on social media that I can remember, i never really got invested in it either. all it really is is people trying to shove their opinions down each others throats and that's not my kind of thing lol.

discord though, I live on there pretty much, have a friend group that I've known for 2 years now and a few other people from things I was involved with in the past. I really like it on there and if I'm being honest, even though I'm more outgoing now than I've ever been it's still my main source of social interaction, and I dont really think that's a bad thing.

I guess I'm pretty active on here too but it's mostly just to kill time :lemon:

ive taken a break from twt, but i was always active on there, even with all the toxicity. semi-active on insta only for some of the fan pages i follow and discord is probably where im most active on now.

i dont necessarily think social media is a bad thing, just avoid the things you dont wanna get involved in

I kind of hate it but I keep FB to stay in touch with some family members, and Twitter just for uploading pics from my Switch. I used to be really into Instagram but I've kind of lost interest in that. I also used to love Pinterest for inspiration but I don't really check it anymore.

I feel like it's kind of a double-edged sword. It can be really unhealthy (there have been studies done on how people feel worse after looking at social media because of our tendency to compare ourselves to others). However, there is no denying that when information needs to be shared, it's the fastest way.

Not anymore -- at least the more overtly 'social' forms of social media, like Facebook.

I used to be active on Facebook; I'm Zuckerberg's age, and I joined when it was still college-only, back in 2006. I think the highest friend total I had was 200 or so.

However, I got less enthused with as time went on, and it got larger and dominated by endless political bickering, which was happening as recently as the mid 2010s. I removed it earlier this year, even prior to COVID-19 and the protests, and I'm so glad I did. My husband also removed his account last month, and he seems happy about it as well.

There are many more productive, real-life things you can do with your time, than spend it on social media. I agree with OP that it's not inherently bad, but it can easily lead to many bad things. In today's climate, it seems best to just get away from it and work on further developing already existing, real life relationships with others, and talk through your problems face-to-face, rather than exchanging a bunch of words with strangers through screens. I 'learned' this again last month when I had a terrible experience with members of a shared church denomination on Reddit and Discord.

I use social media as an outlet for the random funny things/thoughts I experience and want an audience to share with. It can be taxing on your mental health though when you use it to compare your life to others. I try to take breaks every so often but unfortunately during COVID it seems almost necessary if you want to stay connected with friends/family/the outside world.

I spend quite a lot of time on my relatively small Instagram account where only my friends are following me as they all share my same political opinions (unlike my parents) and they are all very nice. Unfortunately, my enjoyment of social media was shattered when my mom started snooping on my phone and viewing my private Instagram stories where I cussed them out/came out as bisexual. I am furious at her for this but she won't admit she knows ;/

Pros of social media - It allows everybody and anybody to connect and talk to everybody and anybody.
Cons of social media - It allows everybody and anybody to connect and talk to everybody and anybody.
It brings you closer to everyone you've never wanted to meet.

I used it in the past but have no interest in it now. I do feel like I'm missing out on things because everyone I know seems to be glued to it but I try to remember that I can still spend time with those people through real life hangouts which is more meaningful than liking a friend's post. I keep contact with people through texting only and it feels more calm.

Social media isn't really bad, it just depends on how you use it. For me, it gets me too connected to my phone which I'm trying to distance myself from.

I'm currently debating making a Twitter for ACNH, art, video games, and anime/donghua. I also want to see if I can make online friends there as well.

The thing holding me back is how toxic Twitter is and how easy it is for people to get angry with you. I'm also pretty shy and not the best at "reading" people online.

Idk, does making a Twitter sound like a good idea or bad idea?

Having an account is fine. When you start encountering people with black and white thinking, it's best not to get involved. I have an account specifically for Animal Crossing, and Super Mario Maker 2. I'm probably going to be posting F-Zero stuff, too. I don't deal with people who are constantly trying to debate. If people suddenly want to start arguing, you can always block them. If they continue harassing you by using a different account after you blocked them, you could report them for harassment. For the most part, Animal Crossing Twitter seems chill.

Good question. I think if you keep the content and friendships related just to your hobbies, you'll be ok. It can be hard to do that, though. Part of the reason I left more general social media like FB and Twitter is that it's so difficult to avoid eyeballing all the political and argumentative topics that abound. But if you're careful, you might be able to tailor your experience to just your hobbies. In that case, try it out and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, it gets too annoying, then you can always delete your account and look for another avenue in which to share your hobbies with others. That's how I see it. Hope it goes well for you in whatever you decide to do.

I recently stopped using Instagram. Big social media like that just aren’t my type. Unless it’s YouTube...If you can call YouTube social media?

anything that isnt twitter and instagram is fine. Instagram is just a hellhole of self comparison and hatred once you start following those ''influencers'' and wannabes. The facade they put out can really put a downer on you. It doesnt get better too unless you quit social media completely.

To be honest, I mostly use social media to look at things I find funny like memes and some videos, I don’t even post on my Instagram or Snapchat, and have only 40 followers on insta xD I never really followed any celebrities because it just makes you compare yourself to them, and can make you insecure about yourself. I have all of the apps except for Facebook and I use YouTube most the time, although the state of the website has gone to s**t, I mean everybody is getting demonetized left and right lol and also Twitter is just... so toxic. I’m not a big fan of cancel culture and most of the time the people they are cancelling don’t even deserve to be cancelled

Back