• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Is anyone else miffed that you can only have on island per switch?

Nah. Except that the only thing that worries me is a big backlash on sales, unlike New Leaf and Wild World. (Where multiple towns could be possible on one 3DS) You can't with this.

it might make a teensy dent in sales, but nothing major. the switch is a big console and this is a blockbuster game so it'll obviously sell well, and a small percentage of people who bought new leaf bought a second or third copy. yes, we see them often on this forum, but this is still such a small percentage of us.

This is a similar situation to City Folk. You could only have more than one town there by buying a whole other Wii console. With that in mind, I don't have a problem with this rule.

Is that a confirmed fact?

Oh, pardon my wording. By files I meant characters. Not towns (I assume that's what you thought I meant?)

I?m mad because me and my brother both want our own islands but since there?s only 1 per switch it?s gonna be mostly his.

As someone who has 4 towns in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, I'm honestly fine with this on my own personal level. The reason I ended up with 4 towns in Animal Crossing: New Leaf was because I had multiple themes to base towns around in my mind and I had a bunch of villagers who fit those themes and whose designs I really liked that I adopted. At this point, any villagers I would have living on my island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons would be the leftover villagers whose designs I really love but who didn't fit my towns' themes. I don't really feel that I'd have the need to get more than one copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

That said, that's just my own experience and how I've interacted with the series. I can definitely see why this would be a big problem for other people and I sympathize.

Last edited:
No, because I like to play in my way, and that is only having one game card and console. I don't know how you folks manage more than one town at a time but big props to you!

The island is not huge. Not even close. Big maybe, but not Huge.

It's really kind of small, even if you pay attention to how quickly players get around in the 24-minute gameplay. It may be slightly larger than New Leaf, but not by much. Plus, a good percentage of the map is all ocean.

Somebody out there tried to esitmate the space, and it came out smaller than the Gamecube/Nintendo 64 map.

On reddit a guy estimated the amount of additional space and calculated it to around 25% more space. That also didn't factor in the fact that the mountain areas located more to the top of the map are most likely unaccessible. So I personally think that the map has maybe 15% extra space.

Now, this could be a demo island, but I highly doubt that. For them to use a demo island, it would mean that they still haven't even finished island generating feature in the game, which would mean the game is nowhere near being finish. With 8 months till release, the game is definitely near finished.

What we don't know is if we will be able to discover, take on more islands in the game. It would be interesting if Nook acquired additional islands where more villagers can be setup, and you could have additional homes, and fly between the two islands. The new island could have other resources and collectibles, etc.

I think we need more info, cause they said that they had a lot more content left to show. That keeps me feeling optimistic about the game, but I already like what I see. As or there being only one island per switch, it doesn't bother me as long as their a way to reset the island if you want to restart the game.

While I do prefer multiple towns, I think I can live with only one. We'll see.

I’m mad because me and my brother both want our own islands but since there’s only 1 per switch it’s gonna be mostly his.

do y'all share a switch?
this is the biggest problem with not being able to make a new island with a new profile. i'd rather play my own game then use my family's island....

i see people mentioning how it’s annoying for those who wanted multiple islands. While that does suck, what about those who have 1 switch and 1 or more siblings that r also interested in ac? cuz that doesn’t just mean sharing an island; it also means sharing ur vision for ur island, ur ‘creative freedom’ with siblings, and if u don’t see eye to eye..... heh good luck (Im in that boat)

tbh this is the only news about nh that’s left me disappointed as everything else has been amazing.

I’m mad because me and my brother both want our own islands but since there’s only 1 per switch it’s gonna be mostly his.

I'm in the same boat, my brother in I were going to go halvies on one (a refurbished one, from nintendo about $250-$275), he wants mario. smash bro's, etc, I want ACNH, Okami HD, botw etc BUT we have an issue: we are both (addictive) gamers, working out a schedule to play would be hard since we're both free at night.

I think that's kind of messed up for families that have more than one kid who want to play the game.

It's disappointing but I'm fine with it.
Another disappointment is no cloud saves but, I did see it coming.

I've got an SD reader so I'll probably be backing up my town whenever I see fit onto an external HDD of some sort. (Pretty sure saves are on the SD card anyway...)

It's disappointing but I'm fine with it.
Another disappointment is no cloud saves but, I did see it coming.

I've got an SD reader so I'll probably be backing up my town whenever I see fit onto an external HDD of some sort. (Pretty sure saves are on the SD card anyway...)

saves are saved onto the switch and that's why we can't have more than 1 town. you pointed out that nintendo is also disabling cloud backups for animal crossing new horizons so this means theres no way to retrieve our save unless we hack our switch.

Last edited:
I kinda am. I do want to take my first town really slow and enjoy it (probably because I've reset AC so much, I just want a plain new restart with a new format and game.)
But I'd really love a second town to experiment with ;u;

I think if someone wants to buy multiple copies of the game, they should be allowed multiple towns, the same as the 3DS. Does anyone know if Switch game carts are writable? Do game saves save to the cart with other games, or do all Switch games save to the system or SD card?

Conspiracy: Does Nintendo want to boost Switch sales by selling multiple Switch units to a single person?

Hopefully the few month delay gives Nintendo enough time to review public opinions and possibly revise some things.

Last edited:
I think if someone wants to buy multiple copies of the game, they should be allowed multiple towns, the same as the 3DS. Does anyone know if Switch game carts are writable? Do game saves save to the cart with other games, or do all Switch games save to the system or SD card?

Conspiracy: Does Nintendo want to boost Switch sales by selling multiple Switch units to a single person?

Hopefully the few month delay gives Nintendo enough time to review public opinions and possibly revise some things.

i doubt nintendo would expect people to buy a new console for one game. for most other games, you can simply make a new profile and then you get a new save file. for other games, there are built in save slots with multiple player options. so if nintendo was trying to make us buy another switch, they wouldn't let us make a new profile in the first place.

as for switch carts, they're all non-writable and strictly save onto the switch. there isn't a single game that will save to the cartridge itself. and for the microsd card, absolutely no save data can be saved there unless you hack your switch. so nintendo buckled down on saving lol...

While I'm okay with it, since I'm the only one in the family who plays the switch it still sucks for people who have siblings. I do feel bad for anyone who has to share a switch, and I can agree its not fair. I'd hate to share one town since I'm so particular about how my town is made. I can understand no cloud saves, but this is just silly.

I'm not miffed by this. Honestly, I wouldn't have the concentration as well as the motivation
to build up two islands, as it will be already hard work to build up one. Besides, in the other
games, I also only own one town and that was enough for me.

I'm in the same boat, my brother in I were going to go halvies on one (a refurbished one, from nintendo about $250-$275), he wants mario. smash bro's, etc, I want ACNH, Okami HD, botw etc BUT we have an issue: we are both (addictive) gamers, working out a schedule to play would be hard since we're both free at night.

Yeah when me and my brother got the switch when it came out, we already had pre-ordered botw before, and he immediately started playing it. He would be playing hours on end everyday for so long, I hardly got any time to play. Especially since he plays a lot of different games on there, as I do too, as we are both addictive gamers as well lmao. I had to wait a while before I even got a chance to play, and when he finally beat the game, I was able to play as long as I wanted, as he was mostly on his computer. And now, we?re both stoked for ACNH, but this whole ?1 island per console? just doesn?t seem fair at all. He said that the island was gonna be his and he?s naming it and basically taking ownership over it. There goes my island name ideas and town themes. He even said he?s gonna be playing it like 24/7 so the only good thing is that multiple players can play at once.

P.S. You guys should each buy a game you want to make it fair. :) It wasn?t as challenging for me and my brother as we both wanted botw, super smash bros ultimate, super mario odyssey, etc. Also botw is really fun, I already beat it by now and let me tell you there?s so much to do, graphics are amazing, the amount of detail they put, and it?s just so good. Also super smash bros ultimate is the best when you have a lot of people playing, as I have so many cousins and relatives I can?t even count, they?re always at my house and when we play it together it?s so fun. Just letting you know so you and your brother can stick with your game ideas haha. Also, good luck on the schedule, I hope you guys find a good way to share (unlike my brother)

Last edited:
Back