What part of the Nintendo Switch do you find to be the most disappointing?

The biggest disappointment for the system has been the lack of quirky Nintendo interfaces on the system. I adored the miiverse on the wiiu, participated in every single channel on the wii. There were so many fun and silly things you could do with the system that felt so distinctly Nintendo that was surprisingly missing on the Switch.

Another thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of variety in the Eshop music like the 3ds had. From 2011-2016 the eshop would get new music every few months. I miss that a lot.. If the 3ds can have 13 catchy eshop themes, then the switch can at least have one!
I still remember when Malo Mart played on the Eshop to promote the Wii U port of Twilight Princess lol. That was something else.

I also still can memorize the entire basic song.

For nostalgia's sake, I don't think I will remember much about the Switch tbh.

The joycon drifting; it started not even a year after i got my switch lite.

Also the bottom part where my charger goes. The cord won’t stay in since I guess dust or something got in it. I tried cleaning it by following instructions online but youtube videos and fixing things just doesn’t help me.

When they first announced Nintendo Switch Online I was disappointed because online play was free on the previous consoles while you had to pay for this one. I have the subscription still, but that's because I don't have much of a choice.

People here have commonly mentioned how the Switch's menus and stuff lost the playfulness that could be found in previous consoles. I do miss that, but I understand and respect the fact that this was because Nintendo was trying to prioritize functionality.

I guess that's all I don't like about the Switch. It's still a great console IMO. It had an innovative concept and a cool library (have not tried the remakes yet though). Some of my all-time favorite games (including ACNH and, yes, the infamous Pokemon Scarlet and Violet) are in there too. And let's not forget about my favorite Pokemon character...

It’s the joycon drift for me if we talk about physical aspects and the having to pay extra to play online if we talk about software. Imo for a device that’s that expensive, both these things are completely unacceptable. So you’re telling me these 60€ controllers I bought break after a few months of CASUAL animal crossing playing?? But the no-brand controller for 20€ somehow is more robust and hasn’t drifted once a year in?

And I have to pay more money on top of a horrendously expensive game so I can use your mediocre at best online service with servers from 1998? Be for real

that we can't play 3ds or ds games on it sadge.
lol they dropped the most obscure N64 games on the NSO+ not too long ago. Like really? You couldn't have picked anything else? I think the whole online membership is a bit dated, cherry-picked but not even for decent titles, and overall Wii U and 3ds online was way better.

I dont know if it’s the MOST disappointing but just the shape of the console, it’s not great for handheld

lol they dropped the most obscure N64 games on the NSO+ not too long ago. Like really? You couldn't have picked anything else? I think the whole online membership is a bit dated, cherry-picked but not even for decent titles, and overall Wii U and 3ds online was way better.
I was very disappointed by their picks for N64 games for NSO. We could have Donkey Kong 64 or Diddy Kong Racing as our next titles. Instead, they picked two titles I never even heard of. If they don’t release Donkey Kong 64 by the time they’re done with N64 games, then I’m pretty much finished with Nintendo. They could release a new Animal Crossing game better than ACNH and ACNL, and yet I’m still not going to play it since they wouldn’t release DK64 on NSO.

I was very disappointed by their picks for N64 games for NSO. We could have Donkey Kong 64 or Diddy Kong Racing as our next titles. Instead, they picked two titles I never even heard of. If they don’t release Donkey Kong 64 by the time they’re done with N64 games, then I’m pretty much finished with Nintendo. They could release a new Animal Crossing game better than ACNH and ACNL, and yet I’m still not going to play it since they wouldn’t release DK64 on NSO.
Come on, they're bound to release DK64 eventually, they did on Wii U VC and they’ve made a big deal about the fact that they’re releasing Rare titles that they haven’t rereleased before due to the deal with Microsoft, like Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps and freakin’ GoldenEye. It’s going to happen at some point, and it will be a big fireworks-type event that will make Nintendo Direct headlines when it happens… and it probably won’t get removed from sale like it did on the Wii U!

imo the fact that they’re releasing obscure stuff that they haven’t rereleased before on VC on NSO is overall a good thing. There is a definite stench of “this is something we could actually license” to adding random third-party stuff like this, but compared to the “most of the notable first-party N64 games” lineup the Wii and Wii U had, the fact that its library is going to be more than double than both of those by… possibly even the end of this year, and the fact that I can just pick something up and go “hmm, haven’t tried this before” is one of the biggest benefits of the NSO approach imo.

Now Ogre Battle 64? That’s probably not coming back again due to Square Enix’s NSO allergy. Bomberman? Up in the air at this point. DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing? Yeah, they’re probably happening.

Come on, they're bound to release DK64 eventually, they did on Wii U VC and they’ve made a big deal about the fact that they’re releasing Rare titles that they haven’t rereleased before due to the deal with Microsoft, like Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps and freakin’ GoldenEye. It’s going to happen at some point, and it will be a big fireworks-type event that will make Nintendo Direct headlines when it happens… and it probably won’t get removed from sale like it did on the Wii U!

imo the fact that they’re releasing obscure stuff that they haven’t rereleased before on VC on NSO is overall a good thing. There is a definite stench of “this is something we could actually license” to adding random third-party stuff like this, but compared to the “most of the notable first-party N64 games” lineup the Wii and Wii U had, the fact that its library is going to be more than double than both of those by… possibly even the end of this year, and the fact that I can just pick something up and go “hmm, haven’t tried this before” is one of the biggest benefits of the NSO approach imo.

Now Ogre Battle 64? That’s probably not coming back again due to Square Enix’s NSO allergy. Bomberman? Up in the air at this point. DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing? Yeah, they’re probably happening.
It’s not about the licensing issues. It’s the emulation issues (it’s not about the expansion pak either).

Come on, they're bound to release DK64 eventually
I haven't checked the NSO+ lineup in ages, but did they ever release Tooie? I know a lot of the Rareware fans want that one very badly. The have been dropping some really obscure titles that no one asked for. I kind of do miss the virtual shop. They should've done that for the Switch again and charged per title. It really is kind of a downgrade from what they used to offer.

Yeah the picks are kind of lame when they have a lot of others they are sitting on, but I'm not going to go so far as to boycott Nintendo for it. I just won't be paying for the +membership. It's kind of pricey for what little it does offer.

I haven't checked the NSO+ lineup in ages, but did they ever release Tooie? I know a lot of the Rareware fans want that one very badly. The have been dropping some really obscure titles that no one asked for. I kind of do miss the virtual shop. They should've done that for the Switch again and charged per title. It really is kind of a downgrade from what they used to offer.
Tooie is probably also coming at some point given the Rare deal, but hard disagree about having Virtual Console back. It felt overpriced (digital copies of retro games are generally devalued given Emulation Is A Thing, but even so... why were NES games around £5?), and it didn't transfer between consoles (so you'd often end up buying the same titles again and again), GBA and DS titles came to the Wii U instead of the DS (this is partially a technical issue iirc?), and for something that had a lot of stuff sold under the banner, the vast majority of stuff people bought was just the same standard titles again and again (again, the fact that you can go "hmm, Random Obscure Title That Isn't Popular Title On X Console" is a benefit here, because it's much better than buying something and going "gahhh, this is rubbish, really regret buying this")... and I generally think this, alongside the fact that both their main competitors now had paid online, is why we've now got NSO.

I still remember when Malo Mart played on the Eshop to promote the Wii U port of Twilight Princess lol. That was something else.

I also still can memorize the entire basic song.

For nostalgia's sake, I don't think I will remember much about the Switch tbh.
This playing in the background whilst I read the rest of the posts is actually so funny. Great debates over the lame NSO games with beep beep boops

I’m going to ignore any disappointments with specific games or the library here, because most of that is disappointing. I don’t like the Switch, my value from it has come almost entirely on this site and playing with my best friend.

However, I will mention Nintendo had many more ports this gen which was awful, most of them were ports from only the previous gen, and 2018 was a particularly terrible year for the library (there was nothing aside from Wii U ports and Smash, and I don’t enjoy Smash).
And lastly for software issues, it’s really weird how so many games just don’t use the touch screen in handheld mode at all or underuse it, like doesn’t it strike you as weird that even big games like Animal Crossing don’t have it for menu navigation or item sorting?

The #1 thing is absolutely the hardware durability and design. It feels rushed honestly. Obviously you have the Joy-Cons but look at that crappy little kickstand and the USB-C port being at the bottom, preventing you from using it at the same time as the kickstand! Inserting/removing carts doesn’t feel great, and even with a screen protector the screen seems prone to getting little backlighting issues over time. The Joy-Cons… oh my god how can drift so terrible actually be legal. I play almost exclusively in handheld mode by the way and my Switch is at the point where somehow the Joy-Con connectors at the side are screwed up and will randomly disconnect them from the console.

The menu is very sterile, and in addition to lacking themes and folders, there’s no cool built in software to ease you into the console/explore on it. I honestly had more fun with the Wii U’s features and OS even though it was so slow.

To make up for that they made the eShop really slow and horrible to use anyway. It’s so bad I think that in my experience it legitimately ends up evening out with the Wii U’s slow loading (the eShop was better on that console, it was fine, what the heck happened). Like, the Wii U loaded slow on average, but the Switch eShop is so much slower to use than anything on the Wii U was and it catches up based on that alone. Hell the Switch Online app is also quite terrible but I rarely use it since I’m not looking for new icons anymore.

Speaking of can we actually talk about how ridiculous it is that user icons are so limited without online, and with online they’re time-limited? I’m also annoyed at how much is just missing from the offline/default icons and how they pretty much stopped updating them.

Lack of music on eShop and the menus in general. The click noises are iconic but the Switch OS has no iconic music which is really weird when you notice it.

This is small, but I don’t like the Miis being tucked so far away. Also, the Mii Maker (and general treatment of Miis on Switch) is another example of the lack of charming apps, software, presentation etc. on the console. I don’t think anyone would gather around to make Miis like they did on the Wii and it’s not as if it has anything as wacky/funny as the photo-to-Mii feature from the 3DS.

It’s kind of annoying how when you have re-mapped buttons, the console reminds you every time you leave sleep mode. They could have just made it some sort of icon on the screen. I have re-mapped buttons for CTR and I was playing that daily for half a year at one point so every single day for half a year I had to go like noooo I don’t want to reset the buttons. (Or even more because I used sleep mode reasonably often)

This is an issue with consoles in general right now but I wish we had more than just cloud backups for saves.

Genuinely convinced the Switch as a console was rushed out before it was complete due to the poor sales of their previous console.

Last edited:
Back