Is anyone else bothered by the ridiculous entry fees

I had turnips at 435 or so a little bit ago and I didn't know people asked for entry fees?? Why would you ask for entry fees when like...I didn't do anything but stand by the entrance and wait for ppl lol I did have a sign for tips but I don't expect ppl to give me anything!

People were super generous with tipping and I made 6mil bells in just tips!

I feel like honestly...you're more likely to get big tips by not asking for entry fees lol

I can't understand asking for 50% of profits at all, it's basically just making the entire point of selling turnips null. and yeah turnip exchange definitely reeks of reddit.
I was talking about this with my friends on Discord yesterday. Recently someone was kind enough to let me come and sell my turnips without paying anything at all, and I made 2.6 mil bells. Imagine if I had to give almost half of that to the person who was hosting!

I'm not gonna lie, in a way that seems like stealing to me. It's seriously unethical and even a bit rude.
Post automatically merged:

I feel like honestly...you're more likely to get big tips by not asking for entry fees lol
Absolutely, recently I let people come to my town to get the dreamy dress from Able Sisters and I didn't ask for an entry fee at all, and I got quite a bit in tips! It really does pay to be nice/generous.

i understand how time-consuming having your town open for long periods of time can be, especially when you have to watch to make sure no one is doing anything rude in your time, so i get entrance fees. i think asking 1NMT or 99k per trip is completely reasonable, but 5 NMT per trip, 1 mil per trip? that's ridiculous. most people who sell turnips in other peoples' towns like to give a small percentage of their profits as a tip anyway, so asking for more on top of that is just crazy.

Just wanna say real quick that in the r/acturnips sub it's actually not allowed to enforce a fee so that's not necessarily the case.

Fair, I might be getting my timeline mixed up here, but I seemed to remember someone originally posting turnipexchange on acturnips. They don't officially endorse it though, yeah, and they've been getting some flack for allowing turnip exchange at all.

people really be greedy. I only sold turnips twice and thankfully for free but left a tip regardless because they are taking their time. but because of these expensive entry fees or tips I have stopped because its just overall ridiculous.

A large entrance fee makes me feel like taxes being collected from your paycheck :(

"Here, you made 2.2 mil bells? Gimme 1.3 of it, thanks bye!"

No because there's thousands of other players offering the same services for cheaper and that's never gonna stop

Yes it's ridiculous!! I'm seeing people starting to ask for 10 NMT and that's just absurd!
The worst part is that other people are seeing other people doing it, so they follow. Then bam! Everyone's charging 1 million/10 NMT. It definitely wasn't like this a couple weeks ago :(

I only have a handful of turnips I want to sell and I'd literally be giving them all my bells if I were to pay some of the rates

It's really upsetting that people are charging for these services, if I ever had a high turnip number i'd make it free! I never ask for tips because I really just wanna help out and not have people give up their items. I hope we can move away from this direction in the future :(

Honestly, when I started seeing stuff like that, I got really concerned that people were going to get scammed. Someone could easily say "okay, come to my island to sell @ 586, entrance fee is 10 NMTs" or whatever and then just... take the entrance fee and end the session?? I remember that being a concern in New Leaf. That's why r/acturnips has a rule against asking for entrance fees, iirc

I'm lucky enough to be in a few discord servers full of ppl who monitor their turnip prices, and I check online from time to time to see if I can find any really good prices, but I've stayed away from turnip exchange. It just seems too risky.

I'm not really interested in paying someone that much. If someone tried to charge me to go sell turnips, I'd just kindly respond with a " no, thank you". I'm all about leaving a tip, because I truly do appreciate people taking the time to allow me to visit, but I'd prefer to decide the amount myself because you have no idea if I'm selling 100, 1000, or 10,000 turnips. I usually leave 10% of my earnings.

I prefer playing together as friends and showing kindness on my own terms rather than being asked/forced to pay you money. I understand some people can cause trouble while visiting, like running through flowers. But if you are that worried about it, don't charge me insurance for trouble I'm not even going to cause, just set up a gated path instead. The moment someone asks for a tip, it's no longer a "thank you" from me, it's just a payment, and that kind of ruins the feeling behind it.

i’m bothered by it which is why i don’t try to visit islands that have mandatory entrance fees. i don’t feel like giving someone 10 nmts and 500K just to catalog a furniture set lmao

I think a 10% tip or 1 nmt is fair since the person is taking a lot of time to let people in and out of their town. I wouldn't go to that town if the price was beyond that.
Also I wanted to build off Mairen's point:
Mairen said:
I'd prefer to decide the amount myself because you have no idea if I'm selling 100, 1000, or 10,000 turnips. I usually leave 10% of my earnings.
In my opinion, asking for a 99k "tip" is unfair. That seems to be a bit of a standard here, but why do y'all assume that everyone buys 1750046456 turnips? Usually, when Sunday rolls around I can only afford to buy 200-300 turnips (I'm bad at making money and usually put all of it straight to my mortgage payment, so I don't have a lot of bells lying around). 99K would be literally all of my profit, lol. I think saying "10%" is much more fair.

It takes time to reset for a high turnip number, and time to host people in and out, so you are paying for people's time. It's easy to say "oh, if I had a 600 turnip island I'd let people use it for free" when you haven't done the work sitting there resetting for it.

Anyway, there are better ways to make money than turnip runs, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

It takes time to reset for a high turnip number, and time to host people in and out, so you are paying for people's time. It's easy to say "oh, if I had a 600 turnip island I'd let people use it for free" when you haven't done the work sitting there resetting for it.

Anyway, there are better ways to make money than turnip runs, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
What other ways? I'm curious because yes, selling turnips and arranging trades sucks.

I would say any sort of trading would be better money than doing turnips and giving half your earnings to the host.

Selling flowers, DIY recipes, Gulliver furniture, cataloging, etc.

Yea the fees are insane, I'm not bothering with selling my turnips to people who are asking for anything above 2 NMT which is plenty

I do understand that people want some kind of benefit for letting their game open and letting people go in and out since it can be tiring and stressing. 50% of earnings tho? Super greedy. The one who is the bigger fool here though, are the people willing to pay such a price.

As long as there's people willing to pay, there'll be people doing it. Only the "customers" can change this.

That being said I think 10% or 1 NMT is definitely fair, and I myself has hosted without any fee but people are usually lovely at tipping anyways.

Back