• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is anyone else bothered by the ridiculous entry fees

I can understand it if they'd want to weed out people asking to come to their town. not agree with it, but just understand

but that said, the basic rule applies that its only gotten as seemingly bad as it has because enough people tolerate these prices, thus allowing for more people to come in and do the same. just don't bother with these towns, even if it means taking a hit, and eventually they'll be forced to adapt or otherwise leave
I never bother with those selling for ridiculous pricing, id rather go to someone who is asking for a reasonable amount or tips, people are just accepting its like this and allowing them to do it which makes it worse for everyone else

can I ask what exactly do people actually do with the insane amount of bells/NMTs they charge as an entrance fee? buy business cats?

As well as the fees, I'm not a fan of how... aggressive some people get about their rules sometimes. On the turnip site I see people with like 15 rules, lots of capitalisation and threats of shutting down the server if anyone doesn't tip immediately on leaving the airport etc.

I've hosted for high turnip prices and I get that it's a pain, but it's still Animal Crossing we're talking about and the 'soup nazi' approach isn't really in the spirit of the game in my opinion. It's easy enough to ignore those people so I wouldn't say it bothers me, it's just weird to see in the context of this particular game.

On the fee thing, the last time I hosted I said that I didn't want tips and if anything a flower or two would be greatly appreciated; I still got over a million bells and a few NMTs in tips in a little over an hour, because generally people are nice!

Probably buy items, pay off their house, pay the price to relocate buildings and villager houses, going on villager hunt on Mystery Islands... And also to may buy the business cat.
I hadn't even thought about the building relocation bit. I know people have spent a hefty amount of money relocating to make their island perfect, what better what to get the several million bells you need by charging for your high turnip prices? 🙁 That doesn't even include if you have to demolish and remake bridges or ramps several times if you put one in the wrong spot.

doesn't really bother me personally since i'm the one with the high turnip prices. i can say that the turnip exchange crowd isn't a great representation of the belltree community though, as most people here help out for free.

I hadn't even thought about the building relocation bit. I know people have spent a hefty amount of money relocating to make their island perfect, what better what to get the several million bells you need by charging for your high turnip prices? 🙁 That doesn't even include if you have to demolish and remake bridges or ramps several times if you put one in the wrong spot.
Relocating buildings/houses as well as building/remake bridges and/or ramps is probably the most pricey part of this game, as you can waste pretty easy and fast a ton of money if you want to place everything perfectly on a certain spot. When I redesign my island, I wasted over a million bells just for that. And I'm not a rich person at all, I only had like 100k left when I was done with redesigning everything. So it's kinda understandable when people need lots of bells to go forward on their islands, and I guess asking for fees by offering high turnip prices in exchange for example is one way to get said bells.

I do find the turnip exchange website quite handy in managing the queue...

I have used it a couple times when hosting and it worked well!

Feel like it was easier than manually controlling the traffic using threads / dm in the forum.

It’s kind of annoying but then it’s a free market. Anyone can charge how ever much they want. I would weigh it out to see if it’s reasonable then if it isn’t I would look for another. Usually I like to keep my trading to Sunday so I wouldn’t have to worry about them for the rest of the week. I take advantage of being in Asia so when it’s Sunday here, it’s still Saturday in other parts of the world. If I can’t get a town to sell at by then, I just let it be. I treat Turnip earnings as just a bonus.

How do people have so many NMTs? I'm seeing auctions in the neighbor network at 300+ O_O

that's 600k nook miles. jesus.

I saw a turnip listing yesterday of someone charging 5nmt entry to sell turnips. They had a waiting list of 200. That's 1,000 nmt ready to go on eBay to convert to real money. Insane.

I saw someone earlier asking for 20 NMT for entry to their town to sell turnips. Per trip! And there was a queue of over 25 people! I understand accepting tips or setting an accessible entry fee because it is a lot of work to manage so many visitors, but that amount of tickets is just crazy... I don't know how you justify that. I've never made more than ~2.3mil IGB for a full inventory of 4,000 turnips so I have no clue how anyone sees that as a worthwhile trade. It seems really unfair, too, because that person probably knew it wasn't a fair exchange... I don't get it : (

can I ask what exactly do people actually do with the insane amount of bells/NMTs they charge as an entrance fee? buy business cats?

Look on eBay, there's a roaring trade in nmt. Or they buy Raymond. Then sell him on eBay.

I think that part of the reason that people are actually willing to pay these fees is that they're trying to complete the Nook Miles goal for turnips. Personally, I don't really need many bells since I have everything paid off and have a few million saved up and easily make half a million in a day if the hot item is something with iron in it. But there's really no quick way to get the 10 million turnip profit needed to get all the stamps. So I could understand doing something like giving away half the bells if it means making a 500% profit on my 400k worth of turnips, 'cause even though I don't keep most of the money I'm still 2 million bells closer to the goal.

Once I get that last stamp I'm never buying another turnip again since it's just ridiculous that there's no good way to store them.

I opened my town for celeste was there and only one person tipped 50 k bells and I got 5 bamboo shoots

At this point I'd rather put free entry because making sure every one out of the hundreds of people coming did pay the entry fee would drive me insane.
I understand the desire to make money, but I think at this point it's just too much trouble... Ask for tips, let people sell their turnips, and if you end up with nothing then don't ever do it again or find different people to play with haha.
That someone would spend hours managing this kind of things amazes me... And to be fair at this point they do deserve the NMT hahaha

Again, to each his own, I've always found like minded people on here so I think it's definitely achievable...

Also I just have to point out, making lots of NMTs isn't actually that hard. It's just business 101. Let's say I make 5NMT, and sell let's say star fragments for 5NMT. Now I have 10. Maybe someone who did the same will buy me a tier 4/5 villager. Now I have 20! And so on and so on... It's fairly easy to end up in the hundreds by trading consistently.

The prices are getting insanely high demanding rare furniture 10 NMT. gold tool recipes which I’m thinking to myself how can you obtain. I dunno if it’s a scam, greed, or to reduce the queue times for the hardcore players to sell there turnips

I usually ask for around 10-15% of the bells you make in the end, paid out after you make the sales. The amount varies based on overall demand (if I start getting >5 people in less than an hour is when I start charging entry fees for anything, I have to preserve my sanity)

Wouldn't bother asking for furniture or anything else tbh, if someone's carrying a full inventory of turnips and needing 3-4 trips why bother having them make an extra trip because they need to spare 2, 3 inventory spaces to carry payment for you?

'Give me two gold pieces or star fragments. 10 NMT entry fee!'

Yeah, I've seen some crazy demands for things. I can understand crowd control but like...invite people 1 at a time then? I miss out on trading for most things I want because I can't pay what people demand. I have 400k to my name and I'm trying to save all my nook miles to find my dreamie Marshal since I can't afford him with the prices people want.

So I just sit here and miss out.

I get asking for a NMT to 99k bells, yeah. Honestly, I even understand fees up to 5NMT, especially if you're using turnip.exchange. Queues can fill to hundreds, in a matter of seconds, and letting that many people in is a hassle. I see a bunch of people on there asking for 10-20 tickets per trip though... What? Do people not know the value of NMTs or something? 10 tickets is... somewhere between 1 and 2mil bells depending on your rates, fluctuates between 100-200k rn. The absolute MOST profit you can make off turnips is a bit over 2mil, meaning those people are asking for 50%+ of your profits. Wild.

Turnip exchange originated on Reddit, and has... a lot of the hallmarks of that community, I feel like. Not to bash reddit or anything, but. Yeah. Yikes.

Just wanna say real quick that in the r/acturnips sub it's actually not allowed to enforce a fee so that's not necessarily the case.

Back